“Lovely Old Theater”
Review of Pasadena Playhouse

Pasadena Playhouse
Ranked #14 of 62 things to do in Pasadena
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the Playhouse Making an Impact on the American Theatre Pasadena Playhouse is under the guidance of Artistic Director Sheldon Epps, whose commitment to cultural and theatrical diversity brings vitality and direction to the theatre. This commitment is reflected in seasons featuring Tony and Pulitzer award-winning plays as well as in outreach and artistic programs, which have doubled in size in the last two years.
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lovely Old Theater”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have season tickets and love all that we've seen. Aladdin and One Night with Janice Joplin were superb! Not a bad seat in the house. Lots of history here and many of the greats have acted here. Don't miss it. There is always a ticket to be had.

Silicon Valley, CA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Interesting early 1900s theater”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The theater reminds me of the Fox Arlington in Santa Barbara but much much smaller.

Couldn't hear a word of the play. Others in our group had the same problem even though they, like me didn't have hearing aids due to poor hearing to start with.

I was disappointed that when, at intermission I asked about amplified hearing they were all in use and others who were smart enough to get one before the play started said it was still to hear/understand.

I'd suggest seeing about a tour when the theater isn't running a play and perhaps make sure that your hearing is top notch.

A waste of $$$$ for me and even my wife who has very sharp hearing had a hard time hearing some of the play.

Moorpark, California
419 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 374 helpful votes
“Song at Twilight”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I'm a Noel Coward fan and it was delightful to see this presented by such wonderful actors. I'm sure Noel would have been very pleased with every aspect of this production. The set is quite elegant and ambitious and really adds to the play. We had absolutely no trouble hearing. We've been to this theater many, many times and always marvel at how pretty it is, inside and out. This time we sat in the front row, but I honestly don't believe there's a bad seat downstairs. Before the play begins, I urge you to read the section in the playbill about Sir John Gielgud; it will give you an even better understanding of the times depicted in the play.

Boulder
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great play, great performance...and we heard every word.”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We saw this play on the second night of the performance and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pacing, acting and sets were so engaging that the time sort of flew by. The play, though not complex in its themes, certainly engendered a lot of discussion between us after the performance.
We also had no trouble hearing any of the dialogue. I am not a young person, and my hearing is not great (lifelong musician) and we sat way up in the balcony, and still had no trouble hearing. Maybe sound was corrected from the previous reviewer's first night attendance, but I just want to make assurances that we had no problems at all hearing the play, and definitely feel it is a play--and performance--worth seeing, by all means.

Glendora, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Song at Twilight”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We (4) went to see last night's play with high expectations since Noel Coward's works are genuinely excellent but was VERY disappointed with the play. The major problem which has occurred several times is the sound. We were not able to hear the words of any of the performers and even the ear piece I checked out wasn't working. My other friends didn't need hearing devices and couldn't get the words either. For the last 3 plays, the hearing device has been broken and I only get static. The sound folks just don't get it since this is an ongoing problem. One of the ladies with a badge around her neck stated that it takes a week for the sound to be correct. If this is true,they shouldn't be presenting the play until the sound is high quality.
I will finish up whatever tickets are in my series but neither couple will purchase any further plays from Pasadena Playhouse. We left at the break and so did many others who were in the line to return the hearing device.
I have been a Pasadena Playhouse supporter for many, many years but I will no longer pay for tickets when I can't hear the play.

2 Thank ladydocas123