Open today: 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Reviewed 5 days ago
myriamgbst
Pasadena, California
Fabulous museum

Popped into this lovely museum on our last day in California. There was a Porsche exhibition on... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
HelenL915
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

1,074 results
All reviews sculpture garden van gogh european art outdoor cafe rodin sculptures great collection audio tour old masters art lovers world class collection extensive collection lily pond lovely garden the lower level fine art private collection few hours
Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

The art at Norton Simon is varied, the space is manageable, the parking was ample. The number of security staff outnumber the guests 10 to 1 at a minimum.
We arrived after 3pm for a 5pm closing because it wasn't our first visit. We enjoyed the art and space and just as we were wrapping up our visit, the staff informed us that they were closed. It was 4:52 PM. I replied that I was well aware of the time and the closing time. At 4:55, surrounded by a horde of security anxious to leave for the day, we were informed that they are usually gone by 8. I asked 8 til? She said no, I said 8pm? She became flustered and unable to explain what 8 meant, which allowed us the chance to realize we had been literally surrounded by security.
I have been to many museums in the world and have never experienced such a squeeze by the security staff, particularly given that it was not yet 5pm. Left a really bad taste in my mouth and will not make a point to return. There had to be 20 + guards at the center and main entrance lobby, and we seemed to be the only guests holding them up from leaving. Uncomfortable.

Reviewed 5 days ago

The Norton Simon Museum is a true treasure. With countless impressionist pieces and sculptures that greet you on the way in, and outside in the lovely garden with a lily pond, this is a must see first class museum!

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

Popped into this lovely museum on our last day in California. There was a Porsche exhibition on. The museum
Is well laid out and is worth visiting - even if you’re not s car fanatic. There’s a lovely cafe. There’s parking onsite which is very convenient if not a bit expensive.

Reviewed 6 days ago

Don't miss this gorgeous museum with a truly fine collection. Have lunch there too! Degas, Van Gogh, so many biggies!

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I have wanted to see this museum since I was a child (a looooooong time ago), finally had the opportunity to.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's a small museum compared to LACMA or
The Getti's, but worth the price. I spent about two hours here, and look forward to going back.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I love going to the Norton Simon. Just strolling up to the building puts my mind at ease and my eyes prepared for the delights ahead. Which are many...A wonderful selection of early contemporary and late 20th century paintings, including the wonderful Degas ballerinas that have their own room downstairs. These are my favorite areas. The rest of the museum is filled with beautifully displayed Medieval and European art of the finest quality and a very fine collection of Asian Art. Plan to have a casual lunch in the back area where you will find a lovely sculpture garden to stroll through afterwards.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It is amazing how many great paintings of old masters this museum has. Every time I visit I am excited about this place

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This museum has my favorite collection in LA. I have been four times and I love it. I recommend this museum to anyone, I go with my 8 years old daughter. It is good for all ages!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great collection and great special exhibits. As a member, it is always a 'sanctuary' where one can use to get inspiration or just get away from the everyday chaos.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

People who visit LA often look for the big ticket items, such as Disneyland or LACMA or the Getty, all great of course. However, if you are interested in fine art, and by that I mean Cezanne or Renoir, without the lines or fees, in a charming setting this is the place. I've lived in LA for 30 years and I'm still amazed at how many of my fellow Angelenos are unaware of this gem. The permanent exhibit includes works by Degas, Rembrandt, Picasso, Cezanne, Goya, Monet, and Renoir, among many others. They have a lovely cafe in a beautiful outdoor setting. If you've never made the trip to Pasadena, you owe it to yourself.