“It's probably best to just visit the bar”
Review of redwhite+bluezz - CLOSED

redwhite+bluezz
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Green Street
Transit: Light Rail stations within walking distance: • Gold Line Del Mar Station • Gold Line Memorial Park Station Bus Lines stopping within 1 block of redwhite+bluezz: • Metro Lines 177, 180, 181, 256, 686 • Foothill Transit 187 • Pasadena ARTS 20
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Sunday evening in February, this adult couple is looking for good food and a reasonably quiet place to post-mortum the indie film we've just seen. And a little music can't hurt.

The visit turned out pretty well except for the 'good food' bit. The crowd and the music were subdued enough for reasonable table conversation (though our server said Friday and Saturday usually had larger, noisier crowds).

Service was competent but quite slow - we spent almost three hours there. That didn't bother us, but it didn't seem to bother the server either that perhaps ten minutes passed between her greeting and the time she got back to us for our wine order, and at least that long to bring the bottle. And thus it went.

The major disappointment was the food. The "market salad" was far too peppery, and a starter that included apple (marinated in red wine?) and goat cheese had limp apple slices and too little goat cheese to notice. A sauteed rock-fish was cooked perfectly but lacked flavor, and crab cakes morphed (on request) from the appetizer list into an entree came with a vegetable melange which had no apparent seasoning, and "spicy corn" that featured pepper as the spice. The crab cakes themselves weren't bad, but didn't ring any bells.

For dessert I ordered the fruit galette. Despite the server's assurance that it was indeed a crepe-like creation, what I got was more like a tartlet with sweetened cooked apple slices and a thick pastry crust that was easy to leave behind. The sorbet was a better choice, and the expresso was competent.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Had done our research and this place looked like a fun evening out for us.........empty nesters.....decided to go for happy hour and possibly stay for dinner because we had heard such great things about the small tastes and music. We went during the first week of January on a week night.......one person at the bar when we arrived, no one in the restaurant...but it was only 6:30.......told the young woman we were there for happy hour and she informed us they did not do it anymore, even though I had just read about it an hour before on their website......she agreed they should fix the site..........but they had discontinued happy hour Jan 1st...no " I am sorry have a glass on me......let me send you a dessert"......... she did not care that we were there because of their misinformation..........we stayed to listen to the music....it WAS good, but the bottle of wine we ordered and the cheese plate, were adequate but way over priced........ a few more people came to the bar for a drink while we were there....only two couples for dinner.........and the bartender never came to refill our wine or to ask if we wanted water or anything else for that matter.......and they were not busy........needless to say we have already found another place for great music, a happy hour and better prices with good service and we do stay for dinner.........how does this place make it......we will see now that there is no more happy hour.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We used a coupon from Living Social to safe a few $$.

We had a 6:30pm reservation and were promptly seated. I had the boneless beef ribs over mashed potatoes. My wife had the lamb. Both dishes were cooked perfectly and were delivered amazingly fast after we ordered. I give the cheese plate appetizer a solid thumbs up. This is our third visit and it's not on the regular list. Located in Pasadena's 'Old Town' ask for a window seat and catch a view of night life...
Happy Hour M-F 4-6pm

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I loved the ambiance, the food and the drinks! I came when they had live flamenco artists instead of jazz artists. The flamenco artists were awesome! We already had dinner so we came here to just munch on some small dishes while have a nice drink and mingling away. We ordered a side of potato fries and the artichoke appetizer. I had the Dale's Pale Ale which was delicious! I gulped it all down! All in all, it was a nice cozy experience to settle down and just mingle with a friend.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Don't get me wrong - the food is good, but the "creativity" is bordering on pretentious, and the prices are somewhat higher than merited in that context. They get high marks on their cheeses, but other items, while tasty, aren't anything to write home about. The caesar salad is larger than your head, but the dressing doesn't even compare to some I've had for half the price - let's just call it freshly made and bland. The chicken would be just fine without the "Godiva white chocolate beurre blanc" that sounds interesting but isn't. The wines are good. It's a pleasant place to visit with friends if you don't mind paying the premium, but in Old Pasadena there are plenty of better restaurants.