“Family Wedding”

Lantern Motel
Lantern Motel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Paradise
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I recently took a trip to Paradise for a family wedding and stayed at the Lantern Motel. We loved it!! The room was clean and it smelled clean. The manager was very helpful and very friendly!! The grounds were very well kept also. I would stay here again and again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Tracy H

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I had stayed in the Lantern Inn a year ago in July 2012 while attending my father's funeral. One of my sisters had stayed there many times before that and had always recommended the place, saying it was nice, clean, friendly, well kept, etc. But when she joined us there last summer, she was as surprised as we were at how run down it was getting. The pool was still functional and clean, and the property nice overall, we enjoyed a family gathering in the pool area after the funeral and were treated with kindness, and it was a very pleasant time. But it also seemed as if things were being "let go" a bit at that time, the rooms a bit dirty, and things looking a bit run down. And the noise between the rooms was very obvious - our last night there a mom had a small child next door and we heard every word as she berated him and he objected to going to bed. We had to turn our TV on loudly in order to drown her out. Even so, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and the overall place felt safe. So my rating is based upon that experience.

Since then we've learned that it was up for sale this past Spring (April 2013), which indicates to me perhaps there are new owners. Which makes me wonder if the more recent unhappy reviews were caused by a change of ownership. I'm sorry this is so as the prior owners were very kind to us, but those reviews have caused me to decide on another hotel this time as I head to Paradise to visit my mother again this summer.

Room Tip: Get one of the Queen rooms at the back for more privacy and less noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeanette D
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Lantern Inn doesn't even deserve 1 Star. The motel is run down and extremely over priced considering the condition of the rooms. The room was moldy and smelled of mildew. The carpet was horribly stained and the beds were lumpy and unbelievably uncomfortable. To make matters worse the owners were rude, condescending and completely unwelcoming. I could go on, but the bottom line is ... STAY AWAY FROM THIS MOTEL.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mae j
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Went to Paradise to spend a nice Christmas with my family. I rented 2 rooms, I was quoted one rate on the phone and was changed another rate when I got there. She explained it was a higher rate for the Holiday, I guess when I made the reservation she forgot what day Christmas was. It was storming the night we got there and the water had seeped up in the bathroom floor. I wiped up water all night and waded water everytime we used the bathroom. They found used diabetic strips in the floor of the room where my Grandchildren were and there bathroom floor was so slippery you had to hold on to the walls or be barefoot. When I told her I didn't think I should have to pay for the dogs for the second day she told me the plumber cost her double to come out and that was my fault because I complained The plumber said he had told them in the past how to fix the problem but they didn't do anything. This was the worst place I have ever stayed. Two nights for two rooms cost me $465.00 with the extra Holiday rate and dog NOT deposit fees, I could have stayed at a nice place. I will be calling the health department and filing a complaint. Oh one more thing the heaters in the rooms don't work either.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carol E
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I travel a lot, and often stay in motels, I rarely take the time to write a bad review but this motel was very disappointing.
We stayed at the Lantern Inn for 2 weeks. Even though we were told that we would have a weekly rate by phone, it wasn't applied at check-in.
We booked the room by phone and asked for a written confirmation (by email), even though we sent them tons of emails and called several times to ask for it, we NEVER received it.
The only pros: surroungings are great (a lot of trees).
Beware that even though, the motel states that the breakfast is included, it is not the case. The woman at the office has nothing else to offer than granola bars, and seemed surprised every time we asked for breakfast. She also pretends to not understand what you say when you complain.
The motel accepts everyone, from homeless/drunk people, to groups of partying people. One day, I was unable to park my car in my spot because of a group of drunk people laying on the ground!!
The pool area has never been cleaned in 2 weeks (ashtray, gargage, dirty bandages etc). We noticed people swimming with their clothes on and a dog in the pool.
The room is not better: lot of stains on bed sheats and towels.
The AC is very old and half broken; although still working.
In conclusion, this motel could have been very nice if managed by professional people.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Elise-san
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Went up to Paradise over weekend., found the staff courteous and polite. The rooms were neat and clean. The continental free breakfast consisted of pastries , juice, fresh fruits etc., which was quite filling. I enjoyed eating at the nearby Cozy diner (10% discount). Nice place for the right price and right comfort.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank DAVIDchoi21
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This property must have deteriorated since the last reviews were written. It was dark, dank and had mold and mildew in the shower stall. The "continental breakfast" consisted of a box of Twinkies and an unidentified cookie of some sort. Didn't get as far as the beverages...if any.
Overall run-down appearance, though the beds were comfortable and the linen/towels clean.
Not the place we want to stay again - even with the very reasonable prices.
The managers/owners were very nice, but just don't seem to have a clue as how to operate a motel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple