“Beautiful Garden”

South Coast Botanic Garden
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have gone half a dozen times because we are members to a reciprocating garden. We have gone during different seasons, and on our last trip, we walked twice on the tram route (totalling 2 miles). The kids love the children's garden and the numerous koi ponds. The rose garden is huge and beautiful. It is a hidden treasure in Los Angeles. Finally, if you want to join a garden for its reciprocity benefit, this one is the least expensive.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a wonderful place to spend an afternoon wandering through the beautiful landscapes, flowers and planes to reconnect to the earth.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I didn't expect much as i pass this gardens almost every day, but had a groupon and decided to bring my 7 yr old son and his friend. What a great place!

Manageable, fun paths to walk on, small and intimate gardens that are a great display of native habitat and plants. Totally exceeded what i expected and had a great time. didn't even get to see everything so i'll definitely be back.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was my second visit, but first in a long time. The gardens are large and we only had a little over an hour, so didn't get past the "Lake" (more like a pond). Near the entry is a fairy tale garden which my niece enjoyed and a little beyond that, a cactus garden. The garden seems mostly native plants with some imported. Parts are more manicured and parts are less manicured and the terrain is rolling, but flatter near the entry. My brother-in-law says the trails continued farther beyond the area that we wandered through.

This part of California can be hot, but since the gardens are at the base of the Peninsula, the nearby ocean cools it a little. Maybe the next time we will wander beyond the Lake.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Horribly disappointed. It says it is a garden, I expected to see groomed, maintained areas. Only the rose garden and a few of the garden areas when you first enter seem to be maintained. It is still spring yet not many flowers in bloom. Gardens are sloppy and need to be weeded. Hardly any of the plants are marked with their names. Most of the area is an unkept wilderness like area, which is fine but not what it is billed as. The map is difficult to follow. The lake...swamp, is just that. You cannot see most of it becuase of the reeds, and what you can see is just mud. I would not go again, I can see all this for free with a drive to the mountains or a walk around the neighborhood to see more flowers.