“Beautiful Gardens, peaceful retreat for a day...”

South Coast Botanic Garden
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The South Coast Botanic Garden is a wonderful day trip, my husband and I are ready to go back again because we only got part way around in half a day. The rose garden is our very favorite, the children's gardens would be great for families with children and the have special events!

There are newer reviews for South Coast Botanic Garden

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Not far of Pacific Coast Highway lies an impressive array of wonderfully landscaped scenery. Built on a dump site that today is the foundation of many trails. Every plant is marked with info as to type and origin. Spend an hour or a few it's a treat.
The entire area covers over 80 acres - a real treat to get away from it all.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Beautiful gardens, very well maintained. Great place to take photos and meander. Not really a mids attraction. We were there in mid- May and it was hot. I would recommend going maybe October to April.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

They have an extensive Children's garden and many family-related activities, in addition to really large areas of gorgeous plantings. (The rose garden, for instance, was in full bloom and very impressive.) They have a good website - check it out before you go to make the most of a visit. Plenty of easy parking the day we went - even though it was also the day of a special event (see below). The gift shop is small, but quite nice - with unusual, quality items. The park itself is quite large. They runs a few tours, check their website. The tram runs very infrequently and you should double-check the website ON THE DAY you are going, to avoid disappointment. (Evidently the tram is run by the locals, the park is run by a foundation - which has no jurisdiction over the tram operation?) We are going back soon and will be taking our visitors whenever possible. Annual Plant Sale (April): We just moved to the area and our first visit coincided with this event. It was well-attended, but not crowded (at l east around 10:30 am, although the checkout line seemed a bit long.) It was a large, but very friendly sale - the people who actually grew the plants were at each booth, to give you all kinds of info/help. The prices seemed very good and I assume the Garden got some portion of the proceeds? I also appreciated that they emphasized good looking drought-tolerant natives and especially those that attract wildlife.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

My husband and I visited the South Coast Botanical Gardens today. This is a beautiful place to visit. As soon as you enter there is a koi pond that you can sit next to and relax. We walked the entire gardens in a little over 2 hours. There is a man made lake with ducks as well as a rose garden with a large variety of roses. There is even a play area for kids. The cactus garden is pretty large. Admission is only $6.00 dollars for students and $8.00 dollars for adults. I would highly recommend this place if you want to spend a few hours with nature. This place was not crowded at all which made it even better. I have been to the Huntington library and this place is a much smaller version of that but well worth it.