“Really tasty burger, or chicken or whatever”
Review of The Counter

The Counter
Reserve with OpenTable
The Counter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 357 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Milpitas, California
“Really tasty burger, or chicken or whatever”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I usually go to the location at Santana Row, and didin't realize there was one in PA as well. It was probably a little better here, maybe because the location is a little less frantic than Santana Row. We were able to sit down and enjoy our time and have a great lunch one weekend. Have to remember this for next time.

• Visited February 2013

“"Have You Been Here Before?"”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have been to The Counter at least 10-15 times, and I am seated by the same person every time. Every time I sit down, they ask me "Have You Been Here Before?" My answer is always "Yes!" The food is VERY good, but the service is spotty and they need to stop asking if you have already tried their food. It is absolutely ridiculous, and I would rather eat at a place that recognizes you.

california
“Awesome burgers”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I love this place the burgers are awesome, the sliders are enough to split between two and they will let you split your order of fries and onion strings so that you do not have to choose, get half an order of each. Plus they have grown up milkshakes

Visited January 2013
Pa
“Best burger I've had in a while”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stumbled onto The Counter while traveling this week. I just wanted a light dinner before heading to the airport. Thought I'd get a burger to go. It turns out that this is no light burger. I had a great bison burger topped to the gills. It took 2 hands and knife & fork to manage this tasty treat. I decided to add a few slices of avocado to the rest of the toppings and was amazed that I got what appeared to be the whole avocado. The sweet potato fries are very good and come with a zesty sauce on the side. I recommend this place for a quick take-out meal.

• Visited February 2013
Palo Alto, California
“Good food, laughable service”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Like every visit we have ever made to the counter, our food was good but the service was comically inept. This time the manager came over to "help" our server by taking the drink order. The server showed up with two of our drinks and one was wrong and he was completely befuddled and couldn't seem to recover. Then ten minutes went by before he brought our son's shake and he brought eggnog instead of chocolate. On other visits they have brought one person's food ten minutes prior to the rest of the table's, or have brought everyone's food save one, and then that person ends up eating alone 15 minutes later. Fries come on the side and if you order them they always arrive so long before the food that they are gone once your burger arrives. When my kids were younger they would fill up on fries and then not eat the rest of the meal. If you can get past all that, it is my son's favorite place for a burger and we went while he was home for college. And the fries are terrific a d you can also get sweet potato fries and skinny onion rings which are delicious. The whole build a sandwich checklist they have for ordering is nice in theory, but not necessary for our family where my kids like things plain. I ordered a BLT on wheat and was informed they didn't have wheat bread. The server suggested a whole wheat burger bun. Which was okay but I was surprised as all this place serves is burgers and sandwiches. How hard is it to have wheat bread? The place is usually busy, although our location is quite small and when it is cold they don't use the outside tables. The interior is designed with all hard surfaces so it is LOUD. But if you have little kids, you won't feel too bad if yours gets noisy.

• Visited December 2012