“Burger Heaven”
Review of The Counter

The Counter
Reserve with OpenTable
The Counter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 372 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Description: Quality meats, inventive sauces, toasted buns, melted cheeses and blended shakes that shout flavor.We’re on a mission to challenge the way people think about burgers. We’re about creative construction. We think life is about experiences. Trying stuff. Learning. Being Inventive. Show us what you’ve got.
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I don't eat that many burgers, but I do love them, so when I do, I go to the "best" place(s). I was introduced to this place by my son, and the good thing is: I live on the East Coast! If I lived near Stanford, I'd be going to this amazing restaurant all the time. You pick your size of burger and how you want it cooked, plus from a wide variety of cheeses, toppings, buns, and sauces. So instead of having to order what someone ELSE thinks is a good combination, you decide. I heard the shakes are fabulous, but didn't have on. Although I wouldn't pick The Counter for a "special occasion," there WAS a party of 12 college-age "kids" celebrating a birthday.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My family and I do not eat beer, so why do we go here? Their turkey burgers are wonderful! We come all the time to get our turkey burger fix.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My kids love the milkshakes and the exactly-how-you-want-them burgers. I love the sweet potato fries--how crispy they make them, and their Mexican salad with a burger on it. Yum!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Order it your way--from protein to bun...or not! So many choices--all of our meals were delicious, cooked to order, juicy, flavorful and came out fast! We had a great table outdoors and the weather was great. No hot drinks, but Starbucks is two doors down.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

So when I read all the reviews and saw that prices weren't posted online, I expected to leave this place having had a tasty meal but grumbling about the price. I expected to feel cheap and taken-advantage-of, burger in my belly but with a corresponding emptiness in my bank account.

Ididn'tcareaboutspendinghereitalljusttastedsogood.

The extra dollar to get your burger NOT on a bun is absolutely preposterous, as is the extra charges for just about everything (sweet potato fries vs. regular fries, pretzel bun vs. ciabatta, market selection vs. regular offering... It just goes on and on). I accidentally checked five topping choices, then crossed one out-- but they still put it on and I still got charged for it. I felt like that was a little sneaky.

But it just tasted so wonderful! The horseradish dip for the sweet potato fries made me question all the ambivalence I've felt about horseradish up to now. They make their own veggie patties, with just about every vegetable you can imagine. They have a massive variety of sauces; I had the basil pesto, which was so flavorful and well-balanced. Their choice of toppings is unlike anything you'll see at any other burger establishment, and even rivals some salad bars. And they have BOTH brie and goat cheese for the burger... which are the two cheeses I would pack with me to a desert island.

So yes. Expensive. But if you're really unlike anything else that's out there, you can afford to be.