“Overpriced and poor value”

Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I recently stayed in the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto for several nights and ws disappointed. This is despite several previous stays over several years. The room furnishings were outdated and well in line for replacement, the airconditioner was noisy and breakfast was below average. In addition to all this I happened to coincide with some conference in town and the charges were outrageous, reaching $450 a night on the last night.
Probably would avoid this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Hello and thank you for taking to time to leave your feedback regarding your stay with us. We strive to make every guest experience memorable and all feedback, both good and bad, assist us to do so. I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than staisfactory.

We are currently in communication with our ownership regarding many of the items you have addressed and hope to have these items corrrected within the next 18 months. We have also just hired a new executive chef who is in the process of creating a new and inspired menu.

Thank you again for your feedback. We know that you have many choices when deciding where to stay in the Silicon Valley and do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

... according to a poster in the elevator. Not sure if they liked it. Average hotel with spacious rooms but getting a bit tired. Small and outdated fitness facilities. Breakfast uninspired. Rooms are expensive but comparable to similar hotels in the vicinity. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back overlooking the view have my preference. You can park opposite in motel-style
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you so very much for taking the time to leave us a review! With honest feedback, we can take actions to improve.

We have just hired a new Executive Chef and he begins soon and we are eagerly awaiting his input on our menus to ensure all meal periods have INSPIRED food and beverage offerings!

Regarding our staff, thank you for the nice comment about them being friendly...I certainly do agree!

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to being your preferred hotel of choice on your next trip to the Silicon Valley.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed here on business travel and now I'm recommending that it be taken off their list of preferred locations.

The hotel is in need of repair and it does not resemble the ambiance that they try to portray on their site. The pool was closed even though the outdoor pools at neighboring locations was open. Throughout the hotel many things were only half repaired. It's as if repairs started and they ran out of funds.

There are garish lights positioned above every window that shine through the curtains. They would not turn these lights off but offered a curtain clip instead. The clips do not keep all of the light out of the room. I had enough light that I could still read my newspaper.

The hotel is an older building and the walls are thin. I could hear the elevators all night long. I could hear conversations in the hallways.

To top it all off they refused to help me with the billing situation. They were supposed to bill the employer and now they have billed both of us. They are argumentative and completely unwilling to try to help solve the situation.

The best part of my stay was the free shuttle service. The gentleman that drove the shuttle was also quite a good conversationalist.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the pool side since they don't have lights shining into their windows.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kirk E
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations on several areas.

Regarding our pool hours, I'll certainly look into extending the hours to accommodate early morning or late night usage. I will just need to find a balance between the happiness of the pool guests as well as the quietness requested by those guests in poolside rooms.

Regarding the garish lights, I do agree and we are already working with an exterior lighting company to improve our lighting to not come into the guestroom windows, but to illuminate the exterior.

And my apologies regarding our poor hospitality about your billing. This is not my expectation of hospitality from our employees and we should have got it right the first time. I'll have one of my team members reach out to you on this matter to mend our mistake.

And thank you for your nice comments about our shuttle driver and shuttle service.

matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Great stay and wonderful staff. Thumbs up also on the Crown Plaza shuttle van free parking and internet. Lots of great food close by walking distance.Thank you I give them a 10 A+ great rates
Came to see my son play baseball. Stanford vs Oregon came with 8 falimy members

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Baseball4mykids

Thank you so very much for choosing us as your preferred hotel while on your trip to see your son play baseball! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to share it with our employees...it will brighten their day!

Cheers...Matt

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had a nice stay here, friendly staff, but had a couple of issues.
1 left my jacket in the bar one night, asked 5 members of staff about it, promised to ask house keeping, check lost property everything, but nobody found it, until I bumped into the night security guard who said, yeh we have it, it has been in housekeeping all week :-(
2 new omelette bar at breakfast. One thing I love in America is the chef cooking fresh omelettes for you, but no such luck here, running scrambled eggs.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank John H
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Thank you John for choosing to stay with us during your trip to the Silicon Valley and I really appreciate your feedback on your stay. Thank you for your nice comments on our employees, I do agree, we have wonderful people here who are ever striving to make our guests happy on all fronts!

My apologies on how we were not able to quickly find your jacket. I know how frustrating it can be to lose an important article of clothing when traveling. And your feedback will allow us to retrain our people on our lost and found standard operating procedures to ensure this does not happen again.

Could not agree more regarding a chef on the floor cooking fresh omelettes for our guests. This is on my radar to work on the logistics with my Executive Chef so we can roll it out in the near future.

Once again, thank you for your honest feedback since it allows us to improve our overall hospitality that our guests receive.

Should you have any other feedback to share, please don't hesitate to e-mail me at matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com

Matt

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

They quote a rate and then bate and switch to an average price per night. Even the 2 desk clerks had a different explanation for the rate discrepancy! No valet. No service. Old and dated! Check out any other hotel before you choose this one!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Lngggg
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I do apologize for any issue there was with the rate. To better help me understand what occurred, can you please e-mail me at matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com? I would like to understand and also find a way to make it up to you.

Kid regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2014

$400 a night after driving past a Four Seasons, ouch. Hotel looks as if it were updated from an original Holiday Inn from the 60's by adding a mid-rise tower in the front of the former hotel (just my guess). Definitely dated but room was clean, bed was very comfortable, heat/cooling worked well, modern tv. Desk could have used an outlet, wireless was fine (and free). Walking past the dining area was sad, both for dinner and breakfast. Bar was empty throughout the week. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful when asked. Exercise room had adequate equipment and wasn't crowded (early morning) though the water was empty and no drink cups were to be seen.

Look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The "cabanas" are from what appears to be an old, original Holiday Inn motel. You'll...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Food_Snob_PA
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your perspective on your stay. With it, we can learn and improve!

We are actively working with our management and ownership to prioritize our areas of opportunity so we can begin to make improvements.

And I'm delighted that you gave us high marks in cleanliness, heating/cooling, bed comfort, and that our front desk team was friendly...thank you!

My apologies that the water in the fitness center was was empty. I've re-engaged with my team to ensure we are not letting this happen moving forward.

You are correct on the era when we were built, we were built in 1962. Jay Sarno, the same person who designed and built Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas in 1966, designed and built our hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will return in the future.

Matt