“Nice stay”

Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is little bit old, but the room is OK. My room is on the first floor they check me in for 2 queen bed room and ask them what the reason for 2 bed instead of 1 king, they said because that's what i had book. The bed is really nice and the sheet is very comfortable, the pillows are great. The only complaint is the breakfast is too pricey for what they served ($18.95).

1  Thank opdragon11754
David I, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear opdragon11754,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Cabana Hotel. I'm pleased to read that you found the beds so comfortable. We are one of the first Crowne Plaza Hotels to implement the brand new bedding upgrade program and it really does make for a great nights sleep! We look forward to being of service on a future visit.

David Issel

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have spent the last year staying here when traveling to Palo Alto for work. It has become my home away from home. The staff is friendly and attentive. The rooms are comfortable and updated. The gym is very adequate and the pool area is nice (should you have time to use it). All of this combined with the history of the hotel is why I continue to return for my business trips. I recommend this hotel over most of the others in the area.

Room Tip: Cabana Poolside rooms are very nice and spacious.
1  Thank jdpatl
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights while traveling on business. I found it really quite depressing, like other peoples' reviews - it's outdated, the decor really is from the 80s...and If you're paying $200+ per night you expect a bit more.

However this hotel is clean, and the bed was reasonably comfortable - BUT I wouldn't choose to stay here again, unless they gave it a make over and updated it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear KirstB,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to hear that you liked the cleanliness of our hotel. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is my regret that you found our facility to be outdated. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very expensive for what it is - outdated, 1980s style interior and decor, reality is a disappointment vs the website.

Staff are good - but the hotel and its rooms are not at the standard you'd expect for the area or for the price.

There are many many better hotels in Palo Alto - stay there instead.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CityHopper007

Dear CityHopper007,

Thank you for posting your feedback about your stay at the Crowne Plaza Cabana Hotel. I was disappointed to read that you felt the hotel was outdated, but pleased to see that you felt the staff service was good. I did want to let you know that all rooms at the hotel were completely renovated in 2010 and 2011, and we have several distinctly different sections of the hotel. We take your comments to heart, and I do hope you will give us another opportunity to shine on a future visit.

David Issel

Reviewed February 3, 2013

With over 200 nights spent in hotels last year, the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto is my favorite when in the valley. All of the staff goes out of their way to make me feel at home. They always go above and beyond to accommodate any and every request. The rooms are clean and super spacious. The beds are very comfortable. The meals are great if you don't want to go out to eat. Gloria and the rest of the room service staff is awesome. I really enjoy the coffee in the room and in the lobby. The pool is very nice. Too bad the weather doesn't permit swimming for me. It's a jewel on the peninsula with historic design and guests. The architect went on to design Caesars in Vegas. Oh, sign up for the Priority Club. It's free and very rewarding. If you need a place when in Silicon Valley, don't hesitate to make this your home!

Room Tip: If you are lucky enough, the 2nd floor suites are huge with nice size balconies
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Vincent R
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here with my colleagues who were attending a conference at Stanford. The rooms were nice, clean, and well cared for. The location is good and there is a signal at the entry to the hotel which makes it easy to get onto El Camino Real.

On the third night of my stay, I noticed that there seemed to be very little hot water. I showered quickly and jumped into bed to warm up. A few hours later, the water was completely cold. I called downstairs and was told that the whole hotel had no hot water and that they weren't sure when it would be fixed. In the morning, the water felt like ice. All 100 of us went to our conference the next morning feeling dirty and unrefreshed.

What surprised me most is that the lack of hot water went unacknowledged. No apology letter from the management, no one at the front desk mentioned it the next morning. They could have offered a free drink or free bottle of water or at least mentioned the inconvenience. I was disappointed at how a half a day of cold water went seemingly ignored. Am I asking too much?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DonutLover
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear DonutLover,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding location and cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry for the limited hot water for shower and poor customer service. we will address these points and I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

The Hotel lobby, rooms and conference areas were all very cold due to lack of heat. To make the matter worse, the staff pretended as if nothing was amiss (do they think we are stupid?). In fact, when I asked about my room heat, they actually sent someone to my room to see what the problem was, when they already knew the Hotel had lost its boilers and no room fix could possibly resolve the issue.

The way to address a crisis is head on, not to pretend its not there.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank pakman31
Andreamy7, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Pakman31,

My sincere apology that the Hotel was experiencing quite a cold spell. We have since replaced and fully repaired all issues in relation to the concerns in regards to the cold you encountered during your stay with us. I completely apologize if you felt we did not handle your particular matter as you expected, but I did ask that we try and address each individual affected by the cold we experienced. We were aware of the issue, but it was affecting some rooms differently and there are sometimes other factors that can make matters improved under certain conditions. I would be more than ahppy to assist you in any way I can, please feel free to reach out if I can be of assistance to you.

Many Thanks!