“Friendly Best Value- Upscale in Palo Alto”

Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
New York
“Friendly Best Value- Upscale in Palo Alto”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I have been staying in Palo Alto on business for 20 years and have stayed, and continue to stay, at all of the best hotels in the area. This hotel is routinely the best value based on price and the quality of the accomodations and service. Also, it has particularly friendly staff and management who have been with the hotel for many years and provide a friendly face for business travelers away from home.

The hotel routinely upgrades the accommodations, including recently. The lobby, restaurant, ballroom, outdoor patio, and guest rooms are nice and updated. The guest rooms are spacious, with excellent bedding and linens, LCD televisions, and seating areas. I personally prefer the tower, but travelers with small children and plans to use the pool might consider the courtyard rooms which have a pool view and easier access.

If you have a chance, book the Beatles Suite which commemorates the Beatles visit to the hotel during a tour many years ago. The Beatles Suite is on the 8th (top) floor of the tower and as I recall it is decorated with memorabilia such as the security plan for the hotel that night with the expectation that thousands of fans would swarm the hotel. Quite unique by comparison with the typical business hotel

The location on El Camino Real is very good for visits to Sand Hill Road, Stanford, HP HQ, the Palo Alto Square offices and downtown Palo Alto's restaurants and shops. The hotel has good access to interstate 280 and 101 for rides down to San Jose or up to San Francisco. Nearby restaurants that I like include Hobees (breakfast) and Fuki Sushi (dinner).

Room Tip: Business travelers might prefer the tower
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I was in a car coming from SFO to Palo Alto and I needed a room for 3 nights. I used my I Touch and I went to hotels.com and the Crowne Plaza web sites. They both offered a room with King Bed at $104 PLUS FREE breakfast and internet. Since the price at both web sites was the same I booked my 3 night stay on the Crowne Site.

I checked in and got my room OK. It was just average. There was a dog constantly yapping somewhere on the floor so I paid little attention to the good quiet sleep literature around the room.

I went down to breakfast the next morning expecting my FREE breakfast. I was given a bill for $18.35. I told the 4290 Restaurant Manger I was to have a free breakfast. He asked me for a coupon which I did not have. He said he would check with the manager of the hotel. Upon his return I was advised that my room rate $104 did not include a free breakfast, however, the $143 room did. I advised him that was not what was represented on your web site. I went to the Manager of the hotel and she made sure that my breakfasts were free, after I listened to insults about how perhaps I was reading the wrong page, I was not seeing properly ( I wear glasses) and comments like that. I told her I could not print the Crowne promotion web site page as I was in a car. I also told her that I was glad I booked at the Crowne website as I am extremely confident I would have been blown off and told to speak with Hotels.com

I thought that perhaps this was just a big mistake........ UNTIL I was having breakfast and I overheard a woman relaying almost the same story as mine to the restaurant manager. She signed for a room charge on her free breakfast.

So my advice would be for you to print off the page with the offer/promotion before you click on "book it" Not sure if there free breakfast program is actually an accident or calculated.

Over priced for what you get. My A/C also broke down and I had to change rooms..... yet to another average noisy room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank d M
Andreamy7, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear d M,

My sincere apology for any confusion or concern over breakfast and availability of this on the website. We will check all sites right away and ensure our offers match. There are some inclusive rates available when you book, and some do not include breakfast. I am happy that you spoke with the Desk Manager about this, I will be sure to share your experience and feedback with the team. At anytime you book there is a confirmation that comes through the site that reveals all affliated rates, offers and promotions. I apologize that you felt we were not dilligent on our offer, I am glad that the Manager took care of breakfast for you. We will always do our best to ensure you receive all benefits and promotions available for the reservation booking. I am sorry to hear that the AC was not working for you and that the room was not as quiet as you would like. I would be more than happy to help you with a future booking and ensure you are placed in a nice quiet room with breakfast available. Please feel free to contact me at anytime for future booking! Thank you very much for your review of the Crowne Plaza Cabana Palo Alto.

Direct: 650.628.0124
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This hotel is great! It has just been renovated and the rooms are clean, fresh and beautifully appointed. Large room, comfy bed, modern fixtures in bathroom. Fridge in room which is really nice. We had a cabana pool room and loved it. It was great being able to open the french doors and sit at our patio table for a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. Pool area is fantastic. Huge space with big pool and hot spaciaous jacuzzi. Business center has free internet use. The Sunday Brunch Buffet was fantastic. Staff is amazing and Claudia, one of the managers, went above and beyond in assisting us with our reservation.

Room Tip: Cabana rooms are really nice overlooking the pool. If you have kids, book a cabana room and ask the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Andreamy7, Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear CassieinRSF-

Thank you for your positive review of your stay at the Hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and loved the Hotel's amenities. It is a pleasure to hear your comments on our staff and your experience with Claudia. Thank you for your recommendation of the Hotel.
I appreciate your business and stay with us, we do hope to welcome you back to the Cabana again soon.

Thank you!
CA
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed on a Saturday night after a home Stanford football game. Traffic down El Camino was slow, but once checked in we wished we would have more time to enjoy the pool/spa area and other hotel amenities.

Rooms were quiet and comfortable, we would definitely stay again. I thought the $104 online rate I got the week of our stay was a pretty good value for the room, location and service.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Danigalen-

Thank you for your positive review for your stay at the Hotel. Stanford is located 2 miles from our property. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything you need in the future. We hope to see you soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Zeenal Khan was the manager on duty during most of my stay. She took great attention to making sure my stay was comfortable. Breakfast was also very delicious and with great variety. despite some fire alarm issues, I've chosen to book another stay and so far its been great.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Andreamy7, Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Dear LesterD,

Thank you for your positive review for your stay. It is great to hear that Zeenal Kahn was attentive to your needs during your visit. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast.
Thanks for your understanding regarding the technical issue. It would be great to see you again soon.

(650) 628- 0124
Wine Country,Ca
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had 4 rooms reserved since April, requested early checki-in for this past Saturday 10/15/11, arrived at 1:00 (the early check-in time), only 1 room ready. We sat out by the pool waiting for the other rooms which was great, however at 3:00 (regular check-in time) there were 2 more rooms ready but still our room was not. I asked if we could switch rooms with our friends who were not there yet and that became an ordeal to do that! They finally accomodated us but we did not get the King Bed room. They did not apologize for the inconvenience, and actually made us feel as though we were the ones inconveniencing them! The rooms were clean, beds comforftable,but just o.k. nothing fancy. Only breakfast offered (on Sunday) was the Champagne brunch or room service both of which were very expensive. On the upside, it was quiet. We were in the far back by the pool, which is very nice and would be great in the summer. Stay on the bottom floor, that way you will get doors out to a little patio with table and chairs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank kcpritch
Dear Kcpritch,

Thank you very much for your review of the Crown Plaza Cabana Hotel. We will always do our best to try and accomodate for an early check-in time as rooms become available. Feel free to call us prior to your arrival so we can try to accomodate your request. We sincerely apologize for making you feel inconvenienced. We do not want any of our guests to feel this way regarding their arrival experience at the Hotel. We will be sure to use your experience as a training and share your feedback with the entire team. We thank you for positive comments regarding the poolside rooms and are so happy that you enjoyed the location and stay! Sunday we do serve breakfast until 9am in our 4290 Bistro followed by Champagne brunch starting at 9am. Sunday brunch is quite the affiar with a large spread and is a bit more expensive than our breakfast buffet.

Thank you for your review of the Hotel and your feedback as we value your opinion of the Crowne Plaza Cabana Palo Alto. Please feel free to reach out and contact me should you return to stay with us in the future, we look forward to seeing you again sometime!

Chico, California
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel offered us everything we needed for a quick stay in Palo Alto after a Stanford football game. The grounds were nice, the pool and hot tub were clean, and the location was close to the university stadium. The rooms were located off the main street so they were quiet and comfortable. The down side was that it did not offer a free family breakfast. Wifi worked well. Front desk offered great service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Andreamy7, Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Dear ganderson,

Thank you for your review of the Cabana Hotel. We are located 2 miles from Stanford and it is a great to hear that you took advance of the convenient location. It is a pleasure to hear your positive experience with the hotel amenities and the front desk staff. Thank you again for your business and your stay at the Cabana Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to us again soon.

Warm Regards,