“Very basic but ok”

Ranked #21 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Sunnyvale, California
“Very basic but ok”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel is very basic, but affordable in the Palo Alto milieu.
The back side is pretty quiet, but faces a school which is currently undergoing renovation. I can imagine it becoming quite noisy in the future. Also, privacy is defined by the curtains and blinds on the window. Acoustically neighboring rooms are well insulated, but otherwise, you can hear what happens on the balcony outside the room.
The location is convenient for visting Stanford, which is about 4 intersections north on El Camino Real.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are in the back. There is no elevator, so first floor is better when traveling with l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sylikesfood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I first got booked into a room that faced El Camino - one of the few right on the front of the hotel - I started to unpack, and realized that the road noise would be a bit much overnight. The staff was accomodating about changing my room even though space was tight. There is no elevator, which is sort of a pain if you're carrying luggage. I had trouble with the wifi - the signal would drop unexpectedly. Otherwise, it was all basic, clean, nothing special. The breakfast was very basic (and I skipped it after trying it once.)

Room Tip: Anythng that goes to the back is good. The view won't be good in most rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fresno, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn in Palo Alto three times this year, while my wife was a patient at Stanford Hospital. It's easy to get to Stanford -- a short drive on El Camino Real. Hotels in Palo Alto are very expensive, especially midweek. Comfort Inn is less expensive than most of the others and seems from reviews I've read to be a step above most of the lower priced ones. In our most recent stay, prices varied each day from a low of $97 to a high of $150. The online reservation site detailed each day's cost, so we were not surprised. The staff are courteous and helpful. When my wife was discharged earlier than we had expected, we left a day early. They charged us only for the nights that we were there. The complimentary breakfast is a nice amenity -- not restaurant fare, but offering a good variety of hot and cold foods with a choice of coffee blends. We've asked for a room away from the street each time and have not been bothered by traffic noise at night. The rooms are spacious and clean. The mini refrigerator and microwave helped me to avoid eating out. The beds are reasonably comfortable, but the pillows are smaller than what we are used to and may not be to everyone's liking . In each room, we've found that our upholstered chair was placed wherever it could fit, whether it had light available for it or not. But the "office" style chair at the desk is comfortable and always has adequate light. (This is important when my wife is there, as she does needlework and needs good light.) I used the complimentary Wi-Fi in the most recent trip and found that it wasn't always reliable. At least three times I lost my signal while online, but it always came back quickly. Cell phone service (a major provider that was available throughout the city) was not available in our most recent room. We consistently got a signal that we could make Emergency Calls Only. My wife noticed that some people were taking their cell phones into the parking lot, where they apparently worked fine. It seemed that our cell phones worked fine the first two times we stayed there, so I don't know what was causing it. If you're willing to put up with the few quirks I've mentioned, you will most likely have a pleasant stay. Reviews of the Quality Inn suggest that it might be comparable, but I don't think you'd find anything better for the price in or near to Palo Alto.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lookn2retire
Central Valley, California
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

this is a nice property they are clean very eco friendly and they also accept military discounts which is a plus! it is conveniently located near lots of stores malls and banks. the average per night is 100 to 200 dollars. there were lots of nice people that work there especially the cleaning personnel or maids. they have a pretty decent complimentary breakfast with hot food including a waffle maker. the rooms are pretty small but they have all the accommodations refrigerator that works excellent coffee maker microwave and the also have room service. this hotel is nice overall

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank toccara s
Plano
Reviewed February 9, 2013

works just fine for a business trip - prices are usually the best compared to other local ones. good breakfast. no complaints. i got in late at night and noticed they had a second floor room. I requested a room on first floor and got it done in a minute. check-in and check out is a breeze. i usually book online or call them for special deals. cancellation is not difficult either. hope to stay here on most of my business trips to the bay area. wish there was more parking though. also very close to starbucks and jmaba juice makes morning easier

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PJBatuni
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Conveniently located just off the Stanford University on El Camino Real in Palo Alto. Close to major shopping outlets if you need to get something during your visit to Stanford and Palo Alto. Hotel is clean and in great conditions, compared to other older ones along El Camino Real. Affordable rates and friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed for one night in Jan. 2013. I took the other reviewers' advice and requested a room toward the back, on the second floor. I didn't have a problem with street noise, but there isn't very much insulation so I can see where others may have had a problem. The construction and decor is a little dated at this point, but there was nothing broken or down right dirty. I will say that the bathroom had a funny odor to it, like there might be mold festering somewhere (but also kind of sewage-ish smelling?). I forgot about it after my nose adjusted, however I woke up the next morning with a splitting headache (which I tend to get from mold allergies), so perhaps a little investigation is in order for that area? On to the pros: the front desk staff were very helpful and accommodating. The breakfast was good- nice variety, plenty of hot and cold (and healthy!) items to choose from. There are also some inexpensive restaurants within walking distance, which is handy when you don't feel like driving for dinner. I think the price is high for what this motel actually is, but that being said, maybe everything is just a little more pricey in palo alto? I don't think I'd stay for more than one night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business