“An average hotel, nice staff”

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Los Angeles, California
“An average hotel, nice staff”
Reviewed September 23, 2007

My fiance and I were in town for a wedding. We booked directly on the Sheraton website, one night for $130. We arrived at 9:30 pm and we were greeted by friendly front desk staff. They generously upgraded us to a "Club level" room, which normally runs $200/night. Our room had a king size sleigh bed, desk, flat screen, 2 sofa chairs, and a small balcony. The bed was comfortable.

Positives: We ordered room service at around 10 pm. I usually have low expectations of room service food. But the food arrived promptly and it was actually good - sandwiches and soups. The presentation was nice and the staff member who delivered it was friendly. Check out was a breeze, simply hang a priority check out door hanger and you are done. Any expenses will be billed to your card.

Negatives: The carpet was worn out. The bathroom was small. One sink, old shabby wallpaper, cheapy toilet seat. The bathroom was screaming "REMODEL ME." Old air conditioning unit in the room, made a ticking sound, but you can ignore it.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank mcuenca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
La Canada Flintridge, CA
Reviewed September 13, 2007

I stayed at this Sheraton two times in August and September 2007. Your experience will depend greatly on what kind of room you get and where. The first time I stayed there I did not have a reservation and essentially walked up late at night and took the last available room in the hotel. It was at the back of the property overlooking a commuter train station. The train starts very early in the morning and rings its bell loudly every 10 minutes when a new train rolls in. I think they have double paned windows but the noise comes right through. Although it was a decent size, the room was below average for a Sheraton; worn furniture and carpets.

However the second time I stayed there I had a reservation and got a room on the club floor (3rd floor). Completely different -- the room was newly renovated, about standard for a good Sheraton. It was in another part of the property and quiet. Was very happy with that room.

Other positives: Excellent location to Menlo Park and Palo Alto. And you are right across the street from Stanford if you have need to go there. Room service was also punctual and food (a seafood salad type of thing) was decent.

Other negatives: The continental breakfast provided in the club lounge is pretty sparse (it is not up to par with the usual Starwood hotel club lounge), so if you have a choice skip it and get breakfast somewhere else. Getting charged $10 to park in a suburban, residential area in the valley was surprising and annoying. Finally, the lobby desk was understaffed on both of my visits, both check in and out -- I had to wait 15 minutes in line to check in on my second visit; and the TV check out does not work so you have to go to the front desk if you want a final statement printed.

Stayed September 2007
7 Thank mike-lcf
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed August 28, 2007

After reading the reviews I really went back and forth between here and the Westin - so glad I chose here. Check in was definitely above-average. They let me check in at 11:15 in the morning and were funny and nice - I think they upgraded my room to a sheraton member room, even tho I'm not. The room was perfectly fine - pristine clean, comfy sheets and bed and yes, a bit small but perfectly adequate and nicely updated bathroom. Staff was nice everywhere I went. Worked out in the work-out room (3 treatmills, a couple of elipticals, good TV situation and some free weights - again perfectly adequate), then laid by the pool for a few hours - great chaises, good towels and nice atmosphere with cocktail and snack/lunch service available from my chair - felt like I was in heaven. I can totally see that the back parking lot rooms would not be ideal (the train literally runs right by) but I had a roo facing the other way and other than the unfortunately pretty normal "adjacent door closing" noise, noise level was OK. Overall I was very happy with my choice. Cons: Don't think they need to charge for parking ($10.00) in a non-city hotel. Oh, also, if I had paid the $300-400 room rates they had on their websites I would not have been happy, at $129.00 it was just great.

• Liked — Location and pool area
  • Disliked — parking costs
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank lauravk
Houston, TX
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Upon arrival, they had a bit of a problem locating my reservation, however, I won't blame that on them as I think that was more a function of the way my room was reserved (I didn't make the reservation). They finally found my reservation and I was relieved to be headed towards my room since it was nearly 11:30 PM. My relief turned to horror when I opened the door of the room. I didn't even have to step in to see that it was filthy. The beds weren't made and soiled towels could be seen. They had assigned me a room that really wasn't ready.

I saw a person from housekeeping with a walkie-talkie so I asked if they could notify the front desk to have me reassigned. Let’s just say that didn’t go smoothly (he advised me to call the front desk myself – fascinating, but I digress…) so I called down to the front desk and was put on hold. So I’m sitting on hold outside of a dirty room – me, my suitcase and my tote bag… I finally get off hold after about five minutes and I explain the problem to the front desk. They assign me another room and then ask me if I would like someone to bring me a key. There is a such thing as a stupid question. I can’t fathom why they would think that after lugging my suitcase to a dirty room, why I would like to lug it back to the lobby, obtain a new key and then find my new room. This Sheraton is a garden style hotel – so finding your room is not straightforward. You have to wonder inside and outside, through meandering corridors, across the pool area, up and down and back around to find your room. So no, I think I’ll wait here while someone brings me a key.

About five minutes later, someone arrived with my new key. I left that corridor, walked outside then back inside and went up 3 floors to go to the 3rd floor of the Club level. This time, it all worked out. My new room was clean. The décor was decent. Nothing to write home about, but standard Sheraton-level quality. The only thing was that every once in a while I noticed an unidentifiable, slight smell that was not pleasant, but not extremely unpleasant. It was near the bathroom. Other than that, I was satisfied with the state of the room.

The layout of the hotel itself was nice and worked well for my purposes. I had several “mini” meetings in the pool and lobby area. Location-wise, this hotel is great if you have business at Stanford or need to be near downtown Palo Alto. Parking is expensive so be ready to pay.

• Stayed July 2007
3 Thank Malie
Vancouver
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Just got back from staying a week at the Sheraton for a wedding we attended in Palo Alto. We found it such a pleasant stay we convinced our friends to change locations from other hotels in Palo Alto and move to the Sheraton. The staff even brought up a fridge and microwave and crib for our friends who had their baby with them. The pool area was great and food and bar service by the pool a real bonus. We had a room overlooking the pool so the Train wasn't an issue for us. For price/ ammenities/ location and service just off University this place is hard to beat!

• Liked — pool area
  • Disliked — elevators
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
sparks nv
Reviewed May 21, 2007

My wife and I wanted to spend mothers day weekend out of town. We wanted to go to San Francisco, and decided to stay at the Sheraton in Palo Alto. What a great hotel and honestly what a great little town. S.F. was great, but we truely enjoyed our stay in the P. A. area. The Sheraton was close to Frisco only about 40 minutes out, and within walking distance to downtown P.A. If you wanted to you could park and use the public trans., we took the car into the city. I thought the Sheraton was nice, easy access to all we needed, and a very nice hotel. The room was clean, nothing spectacular, but very nice and quite. The food was good, lounge and pool were very nice, don't know what else you want. We would stay at the Sheraton again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Be sure to get a room that is not facing the railway at the back. Rooms feel old and not sparkling clean, service is OK but not extraordinary. I'd choose another hotel if I had the choice.

• Liked — Free parking
  • Disliked — Cold, noisy
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business

#6 of 27 in Palo Alto
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park

Been to Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!