“A perfectly-fine to great hotel”

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed August 28, 2007

After reading the reviews I really went back and forth between here and the Westin - so glad I chose here. Check in was definitely above-average. They let me check in at 11:15 in the morning and were funny and nice - I think they upgraded my room to a sheraton member room, even tho I'm not. The room was perfectly fine - pristine clean, comfy sheets and bed and yes, a bit small but perfectly adequate and nicely updated bathroom. Staff was nice everywhere I went. Worked out in the work-out room (3 treatmills, a couple of elipticals, good TV situation and some free weights - again perfectly adequate), then laid by the pool for a few hours - great chaises, good towels and nice atmosphere with cocktail and snack/lunch service available from my chair - felt like I was in heaven. I can totally see that the back parking lot rooms would not be ideal (the train literally runs right by) but I had a roo facing the other way and other than the unfortunately pretty normal "adjacent door closing" noise, noise level was OK. Overall I was very happy with my choice. Cons: Don't think they need to charge for parking ($10.00) in a non-city hotel. Oh, also, if I had paid the $300-400 room rates they had on their websites I would not have been happy, at $129.00 it was just great.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank lauravk

Reviewed July 23, 2007

Upon arrival, they had a bit of a problem locating my reservation, however, I won't blame that on them as I think that was more a function of the way my room was reserved (I didn't make the reservation). They finally found my reservation and I was relieved to be headed towards my room since it was nearly 11:30 PM. My relief turned to horror when I opened the door of the room. I didn't even have to step in to see that it was filthy. The beds weren't made and soiled towels could be seen. They had assigned me a room that really wasn't ready.

I saw a person from housekeeping with a walkie-talkie so I asked if they could notify the front desk to have me reassigned. Let’s just say that didn’t go smoothly (he advised me to call the front desk myself – fascinating, but I digress…) so I called down to the front desk and was put on hold. So I’m sitting on hold outside of a dirty room – me, my suitcase and my tote bag… I finally get off hold after about five minutes and I explain the problem to the front desk. They assign me another room and then ask me if I would like someone to bring me a key. There is a such thing as a stupid question. I can’t fathom why they would think that after lugging my suitcase to a dirty room, why I would like to lug it back to the lobby, obtain a new key and then find my new room. This Sheraton is a garden style hotel – so finding your room is not straightforward. You have to wonder inside and outside, through meandering corridors, across the pool area, up and down and back around to find your room. So no, I think I’ll wait here while someone brings me a key.

About five minutes later, someone arrived with my new key. I left that corridor, walked outside then back inside and went up 3 floors to go to the 3rd floor of the Club level. This time, it all worked out. My new room was clean. The décor was decent. Nothing to write home about, but standard Sheraton-level quality. The only thing was that every once in a while I noticed an unidentifiable, slight smell that was not pleasant, but not extremely unpleasant. It was near the bathroom. Other than that, I was satisfied with the state of the room.

The layout of the hotel itself was nice and worked well for my purposes. I had several “mini” meetings in the pool and lobby area. Location-wise, this hotel is great if you have business at Stanford or need to be near downtown Palo Alto. Parking is expensive so be ready to pay.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank Malie
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Just got back from staying a week at the Sheraton for a wedding we attended in Palo Alto. We found it such a pleasant stay we convinced our friends to change locations from other hotels in Palo Alto and move to the Sheraton. The staff even brought up a fridge and microwave and crib for our friends who had their baby with them. The pool area was great and food and bar service by the pool a real bonus. We had a room overlooking the pool so the Train wasn't an issue for us. For price/ ammenities/ location and service just off University this place is hard to beat!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2007

My wife and I wanted to spend mothers day weekend out of town. We wanted to go to San Francisco, and decided to stay at the Sheraton in Palo Alto. What a great hotel and honestly what a great little town. S.F. was great, but we truely enjoyed our stay in the P. A. area. The Sheraton was close to Frisco only about 40 minutes out, and within walking distance to downtown P.A. If you wanted to you could park and use the public trans., we took the car into the city. I thought the Sheraton was nice, easy access to all we needed, and a very nice hotel. The room was clean, nothing spectacular, but very nice and quite. The food was good, lounge and pool were very nice, don't know what else you want. We would stay at the Sheraton again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Be sure to get a room that is not facing the railway at the back. Rooms feel old and not sparkling clean, service is OK but not extraordinary. I'd choose another hotel if I had the choice.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2007

This hotel is not a super-luxurious place, but if you choose carefully, you can get a great room and have a nice stay. Yes, the feel is a little 1950s, but the pool is clean and quiet with good lounge chairs and towels, the courtyard pond and waterfalls sound nice and are surrounded by lots of trees and plants, and the food is decent. The place is clean and, when I visited last week, was nicely decorated for Easter brunch.

Make sure to request an courtyard-facing room, and if you can, pay extra for the club floor with breakfast included. The club rooms are much newer and nicer and include better bath amenities, bathrobes, Starbucks coffee, turndown service and breakfast and evening snacks in the club lounge. The breakfast is about the same as what you would get in a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, but in more exclusive surroundings, with nicer staff. I didn't get a chance to check out the evening snacks, which are offered Monday through Thursday.

Yes, the heaters are a little loud and they dry out the air in the room. If the weather is nice, though, you can leave the heater off. I never used my heater. And as for the trains passing by, you don't hear them if you are staying in an courtyard-facing room.

That said, if you get an outside-facing, non-club room, you won't be as happy.

I stayed last week for $120 per night in a huge, courtyard-facing club room on the top floor. It was a great value with the included breakfast and evening snacks. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's nice and I will be going back the next time I'm in Palo Alto.

Note: Google uses this hotel for its staff and prospective staff.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank 45CountriesSoFar
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Great place to stay. The room was large and VERY CLEAN. Staff was friendly and helpful. When I was checking out and mentioned I had a late flight I was offered a late (6PM) checkout without me even asking. The hotel has a nice pool and a pond stocked with fish. It is within short walking distance of downtown Palo Alto and a 2 minute walk to bus and train stops. Close proximity to a huge shopping center and Standord University.

I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.