“Noisy, uncomfy”

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Be sure to get a room that is not facing the railway at the back. Rooms feel old and not sparkling clean, service is OK but not extraordinary. I'd choose another hotel if I had the choice.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed April 15, 2007

This hotel is not a super-luxurious place, but if you choose carefully, you can get a great room and have a nice stay. Yes, the feel is a little 1950s, but the pool is clean and quiet with good lounge chairs and towels, the courtyard pond and waterfalls sound nice and are surrounded by lots of trees and plants, and the food is decent. The place is clean and, when I visited last week, was nicely decorated for Easter brunch.

Make sure to request an courtyard-facing room, and if you can, pay extra for the club floor with breakfast included. The club rooms are much newer and nicer and include better bath amenities, bathrobes, Starbucks coffee, turndown service and breakfast and evening snacks in the club lounge. The breakfast is about the same as what you would get in a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, but in more exclusive surroundings, with nicer staff. I didn't get a chance to check out the evening snacks, which are offered Monday through Thursday.

Yes, the heaters are a little loud and they dry out the air in the room. If the weather is nice, though, you can leave the heater off. I never used my heater. And as for the trains passing by, you don't hear them if you are staying in an courtyard-facing room.

That said, if you get an outside-facing, non-club room, you won't be as happy.

I stayed last week for $120 per night in a huge, courtyard-facing club room on the top floor. It was a great value with the included breakfast and evening snacks. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's nice and I will be going back the next time I'm in Palo Alto.

Note: Google uses this hotel for its staff and prospective staff.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank 45CountriesSoFar
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Great place to stay. The room was large and VERY CLEAN. Staff was friendly and helpful. When I was checking out and mentioned I had a late flight I was offered a late (6PM) checkout without me even asking. The hotel has a nice pool and a pond stocked with fish. It is within short walking distance of downtown Palo Alto and a 2 minute walk to bus and train stops. Close proximity to a huge shopping center and Standord University.

I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

Reviewed January 27, 2007

My husband and I have stayed here twice in the last month. The first time I asked for a quiet room, and we were given a club room for the same price as a regular room. This was because it was a Thursday night, and they were evidently not busy. It was very quiet, and we were happy. The next time the price was much higher because we stayed on a Sunday night, when business people are there. We had a regular room and hated it. The heat was very noisy, we heard the train during the night (even though we were in an inside room), and doors were slamming all night long, to the point where the walls in our room shook. Considering the price we paid, we would not go back.

Stayed: January 2007
3  Thank lakemissy
Reviewed January 21, 2007

We stayed here 4 nights and, although the heating was loud ( and had to run most of the time due to poor insulation), we were well-rested. My husband an I are pretty sensitive to noise. I did hear the train in the morning, but it sounded quite distant (although it just behind the parking lot in the back - ask for a room facing in forward ahead of time if this could bother you. The best part was the beds which were great! The lounge chairs by the pool were also nice.

We stayed here after the awful Stanford Terrace Inn, so it was a big step up, but maybe not what I would expect from any Sheraton. It's strange that in such an earthquake-prone areas, the hotels are built so flimsily.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank levly
Reviewed January 14, 2007

We booked a room through hotels.com, over $200.00 per night including taxes. The first thing we noticed about our (non-club) room was the noise of the fan from the heating system. Since we were staying there during unusually cold weather, the fan was on pretty much all night, and the room never warmed up. I would say that the noise-level from the fan was equivalent to being in an airplane. Still, we also heard every train go by, every conversation in the hallways, and every toilet flush. We asked to look at other rooms to see if they all had the same problem. All of the rooms we saw (in the same area of the hotel) had the same problem. Though I was told that they were not full, they did not offer to upgrade us to a club room, so I do not know if they are better. When we requested a humidifier to counteract the constant high-presusre flow of air into the room, the first one they brought (over thirty minutes later) didn't work at all. The second one (delivered another thirty minutes later) seemed like it might be functional, but the level of water was the same the next day as when we had filled it.

We asked about checking out a day early, and they said we could check out whenever we wished, we just wouldn't receive a refund since we had used hotels.com for the booking. When we contacted hotels.com, they said they would only offer a partial refund (they said that the Sheraton claimed that we had refused to look at other rooms!). I regret that we did not just decide to lose the money and leave. The next day, we noticed the smell of cigarette smoke was filtering into our room from the hallway.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank CAPasadena
Reviewed August 19, 2006

This hotel is a throwback to an older era of California, when the Camino was king and state-of-the-art was a Japanese garden and koi pond. The rooms are nice, if a bit dark, with upgraded Sheraton furniture but everything outside the rooms is dated, well-worn and in dire need of a refresh. The management, which also owns the Westin next door, seems to prefer to make most of its investments in the Westin rather than this Sheraton. Recently, management has been tearing up the parking lot, perhaps planning to squeeze yet another Starwood property on the site?

The hotel gym has very dated and unpleasant equipment. However, the hotel has one coin laundry that is a rare and highly-valued amenity for those on the road on extended trips. I use it even when I stay at the Westin next door.

The executive lounge is a small, ugly, cramped space with very average quality offerings for breakfast and hors d'oeuvres. In room coffeemakers are thankfully outside the bathroom. Foul-tasting no-brand coffee is provided for use in the machine.

Staff are consistently pleasant and many do double duty at the Westin. Room service is friendly but the food very unremarkable. This hotel also creates confusion with the tipping system by including a large tip portion in the room service charge, but not highlighting this to guests. The staff were not forthcoming about this, but I specifically asked management.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business