“Staff not responsive, do not stay here when the weather is cold”

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Pasadena, CA
“Staff not responsive, do not stay here when the weather is cold”
Reviewed January 14, 2007

We booked a room through hotels.com, over $200.00 per night including taxes. The first thing we noticed about our (non-club) room was the noise of the fan from the heating system. Since we were staying there during unusually cold weather, the fan was on pretty much all night, and the room never warmed up. I would say that the noise-level from the fan was equivalent to being in an airplane. Still, we also heard every train go by, every conversation in the hallways, and every toilet flush. We asked to look at other rooms to see if they all had the same problem. All of the rooms we saw (in the same area of the hotel) had the same problem. Though I was told that they were not full, they did not offer to upgrade us to a club room, so I do not know if they are better. When we requested a humidifier to counteract the constant high-presusre flow of air into the room, the first one they brought (over thirty minutes later) didn't work at all. The second one (delivered another thirty minutes later) seemed like it might be functional, but the level of water was the same the next day as when we had filled it.

We asked about checking out a day early, and they said we could check out whenever we wished, we just wouldn't receive a refund since we had used hotels.com for the booking. When we contacted hotels.com, they said they would only offer a partial refund (they said that the Sheraton claimed that we had refused to look at other rooms!). I regret that we did not just decide to lose the money and leave. The next day, we noticed the smell of cigarette smoke was filtering into our room from the hallway.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank CAPasadena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed August 19, 2006

This hotel is a throwback to an older era of California, when the Camino was king and state-of-the-art was a Japanese garden and koi pond. The rooms are nice, if a bit dark, with upgraded Sheraton furniture but everything outside the rooms is dated, well-worn and in dire need of a refresh. The management, which also owns the Westin next door, seems to prefer to make most of its investments in the Westin rather than this Sheraton. Recently, management has been tearing up the parking lot, perhaps planning to squeeze yet another Starwood property on the site?

The hotel gym has very dated and unpleasant equipment. However, the hotel has one coin laundry that is a rare and highly-valued amenity for those on the road on extended trips. I use it even when I stay at the Westin next door.

The executive lounge is a small, ugly, cramped space with very average quality offerings for breakfast and hors d'oeuvres. In room coffeemakers are thankfully outside the bathroom. Foul-tasting no-brand coffee is provided for use in the machine.

Staff are consistently pleasant and many do double duty at the Westin. Room service is friendly but the food very unremarkable. This hotel also creates confusion with the tipping system by including a large tip portion in the room service charge, but not highlighting this to guests. The staff were not forthcoming about this, but I specifically asked management.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Worn infrastructure (gym equipment, public carpeting, etc)
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't tip room service staff twice
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank JenSmith
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Stayed just one night with my husband and toddler. Opted for a Club room, which was spacious and included a room divider so the baby could sleep while we watched TV and worked. Club rooms also include free breakfast and evening snacks. Service was friendly and efficient. Centrally located, easy walk to downtown Palo Alto. Beautiful Koi pond (big hit with the kids) and heated outdoor pool. Self parking is $10/day, as is internet access (ethernet, not wi fi). Rooms do not have refrigerators. Would recommend that you become a (free) Starwood member before booking, as it allows for late checkout and other benefits. Our rate was $199 booked through the Sheraton website.

• Liked — Great location, great rooms.
  • Disliked — Floor plan of the hotel is somewhat convoluted. Make sure the front desk person explains how to get to your room.
  • Tips/Secrets — Become a Starwood member.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank traveler_LA
San Diego
Reviewed July 13, 2006

Stayed at the Sheraton for a three day business trip.

Checkin was very easy. The staff very friendly.

The grounds were magnificent. Beautiful koi ponds and great landscaping thru out.

The room decor was contemporary and very clean. Very, very comfortable bed with higher caliber linens. Housekeeping didn't come to the room until around 4:00 pm everyday.

Had problem with TV remote...had to move the remote around before it made connection with TV. The internet access was not consistent. Had to go down to the Business Center to make a reliable connection.

The room walls were paper thin. Heard people urinating, flushing the toilets, showering and water going down pipes---not happy about that. Contacted the front desk to change rooms, but hotel was booked completely.

The bathroom was small, but had all amentities, including Starbucks coffe grinds for your morning coffee. The bathtub bottom layer appeared to have air pockets under it. Could feel air pockets when I walked around.

The Poolside Grill had a GREAT breaksfast buffet, which included an omelete station.

The hotel's location was VERY close to shopping and restaurant's located downtown. Walked to all. It's also within walking distance to the train stops and taxi service.

Free self parking.

Great size pool. Very relaxing and had nice thick comfortable lounge chair padding on the chairs. Within a relaxing environment.

If I were to return, I would definitely ask for a higher level room, towards the front of the hotel (train tracks are in the rear of the hotel)., away from the elevators and ask them to book the room with one room separating yours from anyone else.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank TwinkieCat
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 15, 2006

Stayed at the Sheraton Palo Alto on business for 3 nights. Everything exceeded my expectations. I had requested a higher floor however no rooms were available for the length of the stay due to Stanford's graduation so I was on the 2nd floor in one of the largest rooms I have ever stayed in that wasn't a suite. If you stay, request a room ending in 052! The check in was easy, efficient and friendly. The room was spotless and L-shaped. There was a sitting area with a small couch (I assume it opened to be a double bed) and the window opened to the sounds of the koi pond outside. The bed was the best example of the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper I have ever experienced. High speed internet was 9.95 but fast and reliable. The bathroom is small but efficiently spaced -- very much helped by the curved shower rod. Minor complaint -- the placement of the coffee maker on the wall in the bathroom was right before the light switch so on the first night I almost broke the coffee pot trying to turn the light on in the dark. Room was well maintained throughout my stay. I agree with other posts that you can hear toilets flushing or showers running however because of the arrangement of my room I was never disturbed by this noise.

Room service was fast, friendly, fresh and very good. Prices were also not unreasonable. They also delivered a corkscrew in about 2 minutes for a bottle of wine I had bought. The concierge lounge was always well stocked with loads of fresh fruit, fresh pastries, hot coffee plus they had my favorite blend of Tazo tea for hot tea. The evening spread was also bountiful. Both women who were staffing the lounge were lovely and remembered my name after my initial visit -- something that I always appreciate. Bell staff was very efficient and courteous.

The pool was a good size and the area seemed clean. The koi pond was a very nice touch. Parking was $9 a day.

The location is terrific --- directly across from Stanford University at the intersection of University ave (good for dining, shopping,strolling) and a five minute walk (very nice as well) to the Stanford Shopping Center.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank hotelhound
Chevy Chase Maryland
Reviewed May 30, 2006

Reservations: Easy and efficient thru the Starwood.com website, with specials listed.
Check-in: Accurate and fast.
Room: Large, very nicely furnished, lovely modern decor, nice desk and chairs, good TV and cable, extremely comfortable Heavenly Bed. It was extremely clean and the furniture was in good shape.
Parking: Self-park was convenient and relatively cheap.
Location: Easy walking distance to downtown Palo Alto, Stanford University, Stanford Mall, and CalTrain to San Francisco.

Drawbacks: The room was a little noisy...ask for a room on the courtyard not facing the train tracks or street.
Internet Access: It is still expensive in your room although they have free wireless in the lobby and around the pool.

Overall: An excellent value and location.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank Tackle
Pittsburgh
Reviewed April 10, 2006

I stayed here while taking a 3-day course at Stanford. The hotel is right in front of a Cal-Tran stop and Stanford shuttle stop (which is free)...so transportation is convenient. One could easily walk on campus (30 minute walk to my destination) or into the town of Stanford.

Check-in was a little rocky. We had booked 4 rooms in July '05, for a March '06 stay. The front desk couldn't get us 4 rooms together (supposedly didn't realize that we wanted 4 rooms together). I thought that was odd.

The room was clean and nice and the bed was VERY comfortable. The bed was the highlight of the whole hotel experience. Down filled pillows (lots of them) and a down filled comforter really added to the luxurious sleeping experience.

The walls were paper thin. I had a first floor room near a door. It might as well have been in my room. I heard everyone who came in/out, all night along. I could hear the people above and beside me too, whether they be urinating, flushing, showering...whatever..very easily heard.

The Poolside Grill was a great restaurant. We ate a "fancy" meal next door at the Westin one night. I actually enjoyed the meal at the Poolside Grill more, and it was much less expensive.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
#6 of 27 in Palo Alto
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park

Been to Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!