“Love the location, but definitely has some kinks”

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I love that this hotel is literally right next to the Palo Alto CalTrain station and it took me 2 minutes (once I figured out where it was) to get there from the station. As a Platinum, I was given a decent size room on the Club Floor in the Stanford building.

The bed was comfortable and I enjoyed being provided breakfast at the Poolside Grill restaurant; however, I found the layout of the hotel to be a bit strange. The walls of the hotel are very thin, as I kept hearing noise throughout the evening and early morning. I was awaken by the hotel staff delivering the breakfast coupon in front of my door around 7am as they knocked on my door on a Saturday morning. The Club Lounge was unstaffed during my stay, where I was able to open the door of the lounge, but found that it didn't really have anything at all. Lastly, the television had no signal at various points during my stay and when it was working, it was highly pixelated. When I complained about this, i was told that someone would come to the room to look at the problem, but this never happened.

The staff was friendly enough at check-in and check-out, but I found my experience to be not so great. The staff at the Poolside Grill though were super helpful and provided a wonderful breakfast experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Hotels in Palo Alto are expensive. My one night stay at the Sheraton ran $480 including tax, plus a 9.95 Wifi charge. I found this hotel only mediocre. On the positive side: (a) front desk service was friendly and professional, as was room service and Club Room service; (b) the bed was quite comfortable; (c) the amenities were perfectly decent. However, I encountered several negatives: (a) the room was not very clean, the furniture quite dusty; (b) the décor is drab, dark and dated - looks and feels like an old hotel that needs updating; (c) the heater is an old fashioned unit in the corner of the room at floor level that blows warm air and makes the room stuffy; (d) when I tried to close the folding closet door, it came off entirely, and I had to hold it up and prop it against a wall - very heavy, and potentially dangerous if this happened to someone who is frail; (e) the Club Room offered a paltry selection of snacks and foods in the evening - crackers, cheese, vegetables and dip, fried potato balls - nowhere near the variety I have seen at other hotels such as the Oakland Marriott; (f) in the morning, the maid just opened my door and began to walk in unannounced, without knocking or calling, then hastily apologized and left when she saw me; (g) the grounds, particularly the koi ponds, are a bit dark and drab, not especially attractive.

For the money, I cannot imagine staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ECrowther
Gurpreet K, Manager at Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear ECrowther,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent stay at our property. I have shared your comments with my engineering and housekeeping teams so they may address the issues and discuss with their department. As for the matter with the closet door, as we corresponded through email, our engineering team has addressed the issue. I would like to apologize to you once again for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. If there is anything more we can do, please kindly reach out to me.

Kindest Regards ,

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for Thanksgiving and had little to complain about. The rooms were clean, check in and out was easy, and the staff were friendly. Only downsides were the location, which was in a relatively secluded area by the highway.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Gurpreet K, Manager at Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear Michael H,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us during your Thanksgiving Holiday. I'm pleased to hear that you found our hotel clean and our staff friendly. We hope to have you as our guest again very soon.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed January 27, 2014

still great location next to the train station and 5min walk from University Avenue in Palo Alto. Try to get a room facing the courtyard or pool which are much quiter. Room are standard Sheraton and it looks like some refurbishing is going on, at least the hallways.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Rpitton,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I'm pleased to hear that you found our location convenient during your travels. I'm sorry to hear that the refurbishments affected your visit. Thank you for your understanding during this time and we hope that we may see you on a future visit to the Palo Alto area.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2014

These two hotels are right next door to each and each is definitely OK. I believe that the Westin has nicer rooms, though most weeks you would pay more for them. My wife points out that the Sheraton has a better gym and pool, nicer landscaping, and that it is easier to park in its surface lot than underground at the Westin. Can't go far wrong either way. Will definitely stay there again.

Both are walkable to downtown PA, the Caltrans railroad station, the Town and Country shopping center, and Stanford Stadium. The University campus is so large that you'd probably want to drive to other parts of it or the Stanford Mall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden courtyard rather than the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

"When are we getting up tomorrow honey? 8.30 - why so late? Are you taking a shower now ... Bla bla bla". This was the conversation going on in the room next to mine at 23.55 in the evening and you could hear every world loud and clear. The first star goes because this is an old hotel in need of an upgrade. The second goes because the aircondition is an old noisy model and the last one goes because you can't get a good sleep if there are people in the room next to you or if your room is facing the train track. Plus point for friendly staff and good breakfast.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This hotel was chosen for us. We found it to meet all of our needs. It has free parking. There is a fun shopping centre and Trader Joe's within walking distance. The bed was very comfortable. Our room had a refrigerator. We turned on the heat because the temperature was cool. There are two windows--one is two storeys high. I appreciate the natural lighting a lot. The room is spacious and nicely furnished.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple