“Decent...but better options are there...”

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Good location - across the street from Stanford and about 15 minutes to Google. Older property - pool area and exterior is small but decently landscaped. Staff is a bit on their own schedule....not too fast but pleasant.

Bad rooms - Walls between rooms are thin - could hear the guy next door snoring. Room overlooked the train tracks and the trains run all night. Large crack under room door lets in tons of light. Thought about toweling the door.....

You can do better.

Room Tip: If you still like Thomas the Train get the room overlooking the tracks. If you like sleep get a gar...

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This property is located in a great area. Short walk or drive to restaurants and shops as well as to major businesses. Nice rectangle pool with plenty of chairs and fire torches in the evening. Customer focused employees and a nice "Green" option hotel. Bonus points if you want to be Green.

Only complaint is thinner than average walls and the doors are cut too short so lots of light comes in the rooms from the hallway.

Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Rooms: funky smell, or chemical smell. Dirty carpets,
Dirty upholstery.
Facilities: room service - awful overpriced food, most orders were wrong, or took an hour to receive.

Communication: I had paid for a working internet. For 4 days in a row, I complained about the 0.01 mb net speeds. All they did was transfer me from one person to the other, each one more clueless than the other. They could not get this fixed for four days, and I'm managing to write this review from my cellular data phone.
The worst, a shame considering the westin right next door is very well maintained. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Jingyv82
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Palo Alto while attending a training program at Stanford. The hotel is easy walking distance to the university, restaurants and shops. The hotel surrounds a midsized pool with a charming poolside grill and a koi pond. Upon arrival I was given the choice of a room overlooking the pool or the koi pond. I chose the koi pond, had a nice sized private balcony overlooking lush gardens and a fountain. The fountain could be a bit loud at times (made talking on the phone on the balcony a challenge!) but was turned off at night. Rooms on the ground floor had very large balconies that actually extend into the garden and over the koi pond. Like being on a boat! The front desk staff was amazing! They helped me track two packages I had coming in during my stay and print off materials I needed for my conference. I was surprised to be charged for internet, but the free printing seemed to offset this some. As another guest mentioned, the TV wasn't the best but I don't really watch TV. I liked being offered SPG points for declining housekeeping instead of $5 (who cares when you are traveling for work or spending $300/night on a hotel room!). Room 2050 was lovely - no fridge but great view and peaceful location.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the pool or koi pond to avoid street noise. Loved 2050 on the koi pond.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Gurpreet K, Manager at Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Bleuu,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we were able to take advantage of our central location. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Warmest Regards,

Gurpreet Kaur

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here the night after a wedding, it was very nice. Clean room, reasonable price and nice pool that my son enjoyed playing in while there. The Poolside Grill was nice, a bit pricey but good food.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I'm currently staying at the Sheraton Palo Alto, and I have to say this hotel is one of the most frustrating I've ever stayed at. I'm returning after a previous 14-night stay here, where I had to switch rooms after the TV in the first room failed twice within 2 days, after an "engineer" was sent to fix it. The second room's TV signal was slightly better in that there was visual input, but the reception kept dropping out so it was unbearable to have the TV on.

Now I am back for a 9-night stay because everything else in the area was sold out. Initially I turn on the TV to check and there was no sound. Engineer comes in and fixes it. And now I cannot watch TV for more than 3-minutes without the signal faltering and resuming in and out. That's 3 different rooms with horrible TV signal. I imagine all the rooms are like this, so I'm not even going to bother switching rooms again.

Additionally the hotel nickels and dimes you more than any hotel I've ever stayed at. Seriously, my company pays and I still feel bad. The first two rooms I had came with a mini-fridge so I assumed they all did. Now my third room does not come with one, and when I called in a request so that I could store some snacks for breakfast, they said it would cost $10 per day. The windows need updating because I can hear the train come roaring by, and the wireless internet, which I have to pay for daily, is as slow as dial-up in the 1990's.

I can't believe SPG even lets a property like this exist under its umbrella.

2  Thank Kelly D
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel was conveniently located, reasonable, and very comfortable. I think it is one of the nicest hotels in the area. I liked the fact that you can choose to valet or self park. From this hotel, you can walk to downtown Palo Alto and there are lots of upscale shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: join the starwood club for special rates.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MAUREEN D
Gurpreet K, Manager at Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Maureen D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your compliments with the TripAdvisor community! I am pleased to hear you found our central location very convenient. We truly appreciate you choosing to stay at The Sheraton Palo Alto and look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future!

Best regards,