“Great hotel, weird layout, staff is hit or miss”

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Newton, Massachusetts
“Great hotel, weird layout, staff is hit or miss”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

When I checked in, the front desk staff was professional, helpful and on top of things. When I checked out, the man at the front desk looked like he just woke up, with his shirt half untucked, unshaven, and sort of gross. Beyond that, the fitness center is really nice- looks like it was just re-done with all new machines. The rooms are fine-- nothing special, and the bathrooms are pretty small. The layout, as mentioned by other reviewers does remind you of a motel, with parking all around and a courtyard in the middle of the hotel

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the train tracks side of the property and not over the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had mostly minor issues all during our stay here, but when they start becoming a long list, it is no longer pleasant.
At check in I asked the desk clerk to call when our room was prepared. When I hadn't heard by official check-in time, I went to the desk and he said he had called but my "Voicemail was full." I didn't have a single message in my voicemail and I had someone call my phone as I stood there, so I know I was receiving. I would far rather have someone say, "Sorry, I'm running behind," than to make statements the customer knows are false.
The desk clerk also did not tell me I had packages waiting; I had to wonder and finally ask the next day. The nice fellow who got them out said they'd been there a couple days already so I know they were there when I checked in. It would have been nice to be told at that time.
Our room was spacious but had no refrigerator, no safe, there were only 8 hangers for a double queen room and only one bathrobe, there was hair in the bathtub, and several bed linens had small holes in them. The hook that latched the balcony door was so tight that when it finally opened, it pinched my finger. The balcony table and chairs were layered with grime; I had to clean them just to set a drink down.
Maybe worst of all - although we never touched it, the alarm clock went off at 8:30 am when we were trying to sleep late the next morning. A nasty awakening.
The next night, the poolside bartender was out and the replacement admitted that he didn't know how to make drinks and was relieved when we left without any. The following night at poolside, we ordered 2 simple, non-mixed drinks and waited over 15 minutes for them although there were only a few customers.
In the business center patrons cannot use wireless printing, which is bad enough, but there's no sign telling you this, so you go through the useless exercise of trying before someone informs you, "You can't do that." Also, if you access your email on iCloud, forget about using the business center PCs. Their version of Explorer is too old to access Apple's iCloud page. Imagine that in Palo Alto!
None of these issues is earth-shattering, but taken together and with the pricey cost of this hotel, it added up to a lot of irritation. And they aren't the sort of things that could have been "corrected" at the time. I've always sort of scoffed at reviews like mine that I thought were too "whiney", but now I know how those people feel. We won't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Palo Alto hotels

Reviewed October 7, 2012

It's an old motel with a Sheraton sign on the front. As mentioned by previous reviewers, the rooms are dreary, the hallways are shabby and interestingly, the cleaning staff (still cleaning rooms until 5 p.m.) don't bother to vacuum the carpet in the hallway which is littered with little pieces of crud.
For $300 USD/night I do expect more, and don't expect to be nickel and dimed for internet ($10/day).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed 4 nights at the Sheraton Palo Alto to attend a conference held at the Stanford University.
The hotel itself was pretty old and the rooms were not so new, either.
However, I really liked the location: it was right next to a train station, bus stop, and the Stanford Shopping Center, where there are all kinds of shops and restaurants. We walked to this place every night to try a different restaurants.
The poolside bar was a nice place to hang out with friends at night.
If you plan to bring your car or a rental car, beware that their parking space is limited and each parking slot is tiny.
I woke up with the train sound one morning but, other than that it was okay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jay_NorCal
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I've stayed here many times for many days. I love that the rooms are relatively large. The location is great also right near the train/bus stop with shuttles to/around Stanford. The Stanford Shopping Centre is really close also and University Ave is close walking distance. The staff are generally lovely and the meeting facilities are clean and spacious. Good value, not too expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor facing inwards around the pond are easily accessible.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jk004
Ukiah, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is really nice and we got a very good rate for a Saturday night in September. Nice pool and poolside restaurant. Lovely quiet fountain area with koi pond. The beds are comfortable. Every member of the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We had the brunch on Sunday and it was very nice. It is within walking distance to shops & restaurants on University and right near Stanford.

Room Tip: There are rooms with decks facing the pond/fountain area and I'd like to get one of those rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed September 24, 2012

At the end of the day, it's a brand name hotel, so you can expect decent quality. The rooms were pretty depressing though, and the walls were very thin. So expect to hear a lot of noise when you're sleeping. The decor of the rooms felt like I was in the 80s, and there is no free Wifi. The only advantage of staying here is the location, as it's pretty close to downtown palo alto. If you're looking to stay there for more than one night, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
#6 of 27 in Palo Alto
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park

Been to Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!