“Should have read Trip Advisor”

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I made the mistake of making reservations at this hotel without checking the reviews on Trip Advisor. I assumed that the conference was at the hotel, instead it was located nearby at Stanford, so we could have stayed at any of the many area hotels.

This hotel has got to be one of the worst hotel experiences we have ever had.
1. Room faced the nearby train, which passes frequently
2. Room was next to the stairway from the back parking lot, very noisy with the door slamming
3. Room was dirty, including windows & assorted stains on furniture & carpet
4. Several rooms nearby had a loud party
5. Staff had difficulty quieting party & refused to let us change rooms.
6. Indifferent staff
7. Elevator broke with me and others in it
8. TV didn’t have sound on many channels, just static
9. Charge $10 a day for parking, which is not listed on the website or reservation confirmation
10. Arm to parking not not functioning and attendant was grouchy since he had to help open the arm for the guests

It seems like this hotel needs some major renovations, it’s old and tired. It doesn’t feel like a Sheraton, more like an old motel. Location is both good and bad. Close to Stanford University, but even closer to the train which passes by frequently.

Room Tip: Have a room that faces center courtyard or look at the other hotels in the area.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank travelerfromnorcal
jimrebo, General Manager at Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

I am very sorry to hear that during your stay, you encountered so many problems. Please contact me directly, I would look forward to the chance to discuss your experience and pass on your detailed comments to our management team.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

My 88-year old mother and I stayed for two nights and were very impressed with the front desk staff, bellmen, and Poolside Restaurant staff. We did have a glitch: I reserved a handicapped room but the one we had was not wheelchair accessible ( the tub/shower had high ledge). Just after we checked in, we met with Ricardo, the manager, and he was very accommodating. We were moved the next morning to a roll-in shower room and received a discount on the first night. The rooms are okay - the lighting could be better. We were very happy with our stay because of the excellent staff. The grounds are lovely, but I must agree with other reviewers who say that the hotel could use updating. The back parking area and back entrance are a bit depressing.
We loved the Poolside Restaurant's food and service for both breakfast and dinner.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify what type of handicapped room you need. For example, roll-in shower.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and your kind words about Ricardo.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We just spent an entire week at this hotel and had 2 connecting rooms so we got to know the property quite well. I wanted to write this review while at the hotel but the WiFi and bandwidth are so poor at this hotel I had to wait until I got home.

First of all, the front desk personnel seem undertrained and confused. The day we were checking in I called to make sure our rooms were connecting since we were with our daughter. The person on the phone said that the hotel was full and we could not get connecting rooms. He said the hotel was totally sold out for the week and this would be unlikely later in the week as well. However, when we actually checked in, the attendant had no trouble getting us connecting rooms. We had other issues with the front desk concerning billing adjustments and follow up on maintenance in the room.

Secondly, if you are an SPG Gold level member, don't expect much. When you check in they offer Gold level a choice of free internet, 250 points or 1 free drink (not 1 per night but just 1 total) so of course you take the free internet. Don't even think about a room upgrade. I have never stayed at a Starwood property for more than 2 nights and have not received some type of upgrade due to Gold status. They seemed completely oblivious to this concept. I inquired about getting upgraded to club level at check in but no deal. Never was offered an upgrade the rest of the week even though the place looked half full later in the week. We were able to get club access for an extra $20 a day after much discussion and complaining at the front desk but this was not an SPG perk. Getting a club level room would have been an extra $60 a day which is apparently the going rate. We had a lovely view of the parking lot. Never got a call or a message from the manager welcoming us or asking us how our stay was. The bottom line is we felt no appreciation for our loyalty to the Starwoods brand.

Thirdly, the place is dated and poorly maintained. As I mentioned above the WiFi was horrible. it basically didn't work the last 3 days we were there despite multiple calls to the front desk and support. When it did work, it was slow. I had to use the computers in the lobby but the internet speed was incredibly slow there as well taking 10 minutes to print out boarding passes. I found it ironic that a hotel in Palo Alto would have such poor bandwidth. The rooms have popcorn ceilings and the beds creak and groan loudly when you move around on them. Called about this to get it fixed and never happend. "Sweet Sleeper"? My wife said that some of the exercise equipment was broken and they only received 2 tv channels on the machines. She called to get these things fixed but nothing ever happened. They did fix my daughter's AC which was broken when we arrived. Plates and dishes left in the hallway for over 24 hours on the weekend. My wife had stayed here last fall and said she noticed deterioration in all areas since her last visit. These are clearly issues with management.

The club lounge is relatively nice. They have a reasonable continental breakfast M-F and the attendant in the mornings was very pleasant and courteous. Really the only employee that was exceptional during our stay. However, the club loung is only open on the weekdays and then only open for breakfast and then again in the evenings 4-8 for light fare and drinks. The rest of the day it is closed and never open on the weekends which is really strange. Wine and beer is free at the evening reception which was nice. However, CNN is always on tv and you are forced to watch Anderson Cooper. I asked to turn on the All-Star Home Run Derby one night and was told that we were not allowed to watch sports in the club lounge. Really?

They have a nice pool area as well as pleasant koi ponds and gardens in the courtyards of the hotel. They had a breakfast buffet at the poolside restaurant which was quite good but I would not recommend the restaurant for other meals. There are just too many great restaurants in the area to do that. We did eat lunch there one day and it was average at best. Some rooms have microwaves and refrigerators but ours did not. The location is great if you are visiting Stanford.

My experience at this Sheraton further supports my belief that Sheraton properties have become much like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. They can be anything from 3-5 stars with little consistency.

There is a Westin next door which I checked out one day. This property looks much nicer and better maintained. For our next trip to Stanford, we will stay at the Westin and either fork out the extra points or pay the extra rate.

Jeff

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jadbow

Thank you for your review. Your internet comments were right on the mark. The hotel was experiencing many problems with bandwidth, however, we have addressed this in just the last week in order to keep up with the growing demand. I would appreciate the chance to discuss your Gold status and experience here at the hotel. Please contact me directly, we appreciate all guest feedback, and I look forward to passing you suggestions on to our team.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel is located right next to downtown Palo Alto and a very short drive to Stanford University. You can easily walk to many of the fun boutiques and restaurants. It is best to arrive via El Camino Real, as the back entrance from downtown Palo Alto is very tricky to find and may result in circling around the cloverleaf to find the back entrance- it looks like an exit only.

The registration desk staffer was very welcoming, friendly, and efficient. Our room was in an adjacent building, a very short walk from the main lobby. There is a lovely koi pond in the courtyard between the buildings. The lobby areas were well maintained and nice.

Upstairs, our room smelled very musty. The bed and bedroom area was clean and comfortable, but the adjoining small kitchenette/ dining area was in poor condition- the refrigerator smelled bad and had a layer of frost, the laminate doors were cracked, there were no pots, dishes, or silverware in the kitchenette. The dining table was similarly in poor condition. The bathroom had been renovated and was fine and clean. Overall, the lighting was dim and could be made better with about 2 more lamps. They charge for internet access in the rooms.

The breakfast buffet the next day was very good. The blackberries and fruit were very clean and fresh, not at all mushy like most buffets. There was a manned omelett/ waffle station with a friendly chef. There was a good choice of cereals and other hot and cold foods, and an extensive selection of baked goods. You can sit either inside or outside by the pool area. We did note that the bottom of the pool seemed rather dirty- you could see the clean tracks left by a pool vacuum in the dirt.

We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again because of the friendly staff, comfortable bed and, above all else, terrific location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from El Camino Real, which is a bit noisy.
2  Thank Hongdemao
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Our family of 5 booked 2 rooms during the weekend of Stanford's graduation so we were quoted what we thought were overpriced rates of $369 + tax per room, per night, without breakfast. Internet is an additional $9 per day. Because of the good reviews and the brand name of Sheraton, we decided to stay there. What a disappointment! First of all, we were greeted by a very unpleasant front desk person who barely greeted us and was grumpy. We checked in at midnight and he made us feel unwelcome. There were 3 people at the front desk and none had smiled, which contrasted with their flowery island shirts. There was a box of graduation welcome gifts sitting on the floor: they contained small treats for kids, including fish food for the fish in the property pond...a great idea, except for the fact that they gave it to our 3-year old at checkout when we were walking to the parking lot! Rooms were good and the beds were comfortable (although we didn't like the fixed showers), but definitely not worth the price. On the next day, we checked in at the Creekside Inn (same price for a spacious suite with kitchen, living room, a patio, safe deposit box, etc...and much better service) for 5 nights and would recommend the Creekside Inn over the Sheraton anytime!

4  Thank heiranig
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Standard Sheraton hotel, nice swimming pool and patio, good service.

Pros: Room was clean and spacious. Good location

Cons: no refrigerator in the room, Bed comfortable but a little bit noisy

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed here with my father for one night, after staying at the Westin next door. I wish we would have booked two rooms at the Westin because this hotel was not the best. We stayed on the second floor, in a double queen bed room.

-I immediatly noticed that the room felt really dark. The lights were very dim and the curtain on the window wouldn't open. The furniture wood was also very dark and felt old.
-The bathroom was TINY. My father made a comment about the toilet feeling really low, and there was almost no counterspace. The shower was a typical bathtub/shower combination with a shower curtain and peeling wallpaper.
-The shower itself was a very hard pressure that felt like needles. I spent most of my time in the shower adjusting the water temperature because it went from scalding hot to freezing cold. and by the time I was finished with my shower i was standing ankle deep in soapy water because the bathtub drain was clogged.
-The beds were not comfortable, and my back ached all day the next day.
-The room didn't feel clean. I don't know if it was because it was so dark that i couldn't see anything and therefore felt like it wasn't clean, but i felt like i needed to wash my hands after touching anything. There was also some mildew growing on the sink.
-Our door was jammed, so when we opened it we had to shove it open, and when we shut it we had to pull it tight or it didn't lock. Thankfully i noticed this when i forgot to grab something when we left, because i was able to push the door right open without even touching the handle to the door.

The bar area seemed nice and there were plenty of people hanging out/swimming in the pool but i will stay at the Westin next door for any future trips.

2  Thank e e