“Great Value . . . A Solid Three Star Hotel”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I booked this room through Orbitz after reading Trip Advisor and got a great rate of $129.00 per night plus taxes during graduation weekend at Stanford University. By all accounts (expedia, orbitz and hotels.com), this is a three star hotel. I concur with these ratings and perhaps would give this hotel a three plus. Keep that in mind when you book this hotel - it's a three star hotel, not the Ritz Carlton. The hotel is "older" but my second floor standard garden room seemed to have had a recent makeover. The room was clean and well decorated. The pool, patio/balcony, fresh fuji apples, and Japanese Garden were all pluses in my opinion. I was lucky to get the price I did during the middle of June. I booked two rooms for two couples. We were all pleased. I would stay here again but would not pay more than $220 per night at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnSaintPaul

Reviewed August 1, 2007

I have no idea how this place is getting such good reviews all over the place. This is one of the greater disappointments I've had in the Valley. I always stay at the Red Cottage Inn in Menlo Park and love this place for the price you pay and the quality as well as service you get. Unfortunately they didn't have any rooms left and I wanted to try out Dinah's as I had read often how good it was. First, I was upset about how expensive it was. I thought though "no problem, it's really going to be good." Well, it's not. People swooning about their rooms must be in some mystical rooms I have yet to see. My room is ok in size but the quality ends there. The furniture is old and raggedy. The lagoon is actually quite dirty and I dislike that anyone in a neighboring room can easily get in front of my room. (I am in Room 601) by the way. Further, my A/C doesn't work properly and the room is simply hot. The free T1 Internet connection in my room doesn't work. I have to keep going to the lobby where they have free wireless but this is a hassle. My phone in the room has a bad connection, so no using that either. A pet peeve of mine (as I always iron my clothes after arrival instead of before packing) is having a crappy iron in the room....you guessed it, the iron is crap. At night, if the hotel is full, you can't find parking near your room. The staff is indifferent. Red Cottage you feel like you're coming "home". Here you're simply "work" for the staff. I was also at the pool area which has the most uncomfortable loungers and they are dirty. Location-wise this place isn't as convenient as a lot of other, better hotels such as Creekside Inn or my favorite as I said, the Red Cottage Inn. Think twice before trusting all the positive reviews on this place. You are playing a crap shoot in terms of which room you get. For the price I paid here I wish I had not risked trying it out.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Joizee_HD
Reviewed July 17, 2007

I had a room next to Trader Vics, which meant noise from the outside terrace of the restaurant until late at night. I had no hot water for 24 hours. The front desk staff at first promised me another room if this was not fixed, but then said that they had none. In general, their attitude to these problems was one of indifference: "not my job". For the price, you would be better off staying somewhere else, such as the Avante.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank DrMoose
Reviewed April 15, 2007

I was visiting Stanford U on business and Dinah's Garden Inn was suggested for my stay.

The university is probably a 10-15 minute drive to/from the hotel during rush the hours.

I was fortunate to have an Executive Suite and what a pleasant surprise this was. The Executive Suites has its own building on the hotel grounds.

- Large room (probably close to two standard rooms put together)
- Desk area
- Sitting area (couch and chairs
- Dining area
- Large TV (not big screen)
- Marble/granite tile floors
- King bed
- Exercise bike
- Exercise mat in the closet
- Walk-in closet with dressing table./desk
- Fold-down iron board and iron
- Weights
- Extra bedding (pillows and blanket)
- Large, deep whirlpool tub
- Robe and slippers provided
- Microwave oven, sink, refrigerator, sink, cutlery, disheware, glasses, cups, etc.
- (2) apples provided each day
- drinks in refer for a charge

Overall, my stay was very excellent. Room service was great , food was great. Trader Vic's is the restaurant on site and the food and service were execellent.

The theme of the hotel is the Dutch East Indies Shipping and Trading era. A sign is posted at the desk that Dutch, Tagalog and English are spoken at the hotel. I heard two of three languages, no Dutch. The quality of the furnishings throughout the grounds was very nice.

I would recommend this hotel.

I don't know if I'll get lucky enough to get the executive sweet again, but I'm sure the other rooms are quite nice, but perhaps not as luxurious..

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2006

The generally positive comments on this web site convinced us to contact this hotel, despite my trepidation about a hotel that hasn't been reviewed at many other web sites. When I mentioned we were attending a wedding, the desk clerk told me to talk to the sales manager, and the sales manager offered me and two friends very good rates. Our first floor deluxe lagoon room was spacious and clean and had a very comfortable bed. It was equipped with a kitchenette and all of the amenities available at more expensive hotels. There was even an exercise bike. The bathroom was large but had only a shower stall -- no tub. I appreciated the availability of a free computer in the lobby to check my e-mail and print out boarding passes.
One friend had a standard room but it was lalso large for the price.
The Poolside Restaurant was good for breakfast. The help at the Trader Vic's on the premises was rude.
We would seriously consider staying here again, but we wish it were located closer to downtown Palo Alto.

• Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank MarkCC
Reviewed October 10, 2006

Our room (near the pool) looked like it hadn't been renovated since the 70s, including the crappy TV and broken hair dryer. I was expecting much better based on the photos and reviews I'd read. I was dissapointed.

Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank mmdavids
Reviewed August 19, 2006

This hotel is someting special. The overall feeling is of staying as a guest at your friend's upscale apartment rather than a hotel, which provides a sense of tranquility and relaxation that can never be experienced at the chains. I would stay here more if they were competitive vs Westin et al in terms of rates, frequent traveler miles/points and special treatment for guests that stay hundreds of room nights a year, even if not at their hotel -- that's what ultimately keeps me with the chains!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business