“Over rated”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed October 10, 2006

Our room (near the pool) looked like it hadn't been renovated since the 70s, including the crappy TV and broken hair dryer. I was expecting much better based on the photos and reviews I'd read. I was dissapointed.

Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank mmdavids
There are newer reviews for Dinah's Garden Hotel

Reviewed August 19, 2006

This hotel is someting special. The overall feeling is of staying as a guest at your friend's upscale apartment rather than a hotel, which provides a sense of tranquility and relaxation that can never be experienced at the chains. I would stay here more if they were competitive vs Westin et al in terms of rates, frequent traveler miles/points and special treatment for guests that stay hundreds of room nights a year, even if not at their hotel -- that's what ultimately keeps me with the chains!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JenSmith
Reviewed July 1, 2006

Dinah's Garden Hotel is a nice place. The room was clean, the bed superb. My wife and I stayed there on the way to Sonoma on a weekend and got a good weekend rate. On the way back to southern Ca mid-week, I called the night before to get a room. The desk staff was very helpful- said they could not match the weekend rate, but they'd talk to the manager. Next thing I know, "Lindo" the manager is offering me $320 for a room that is listed as $275 on their website. After I read the rates on their website to him, the manager said he would "see what he could do" to get us that rate. C'mon! We stayed elsewhere.

Overall, while the accomodations are nice, the managerial staff could use a refresher on guest relations.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank Whos_Got_My_Bags
Reviewed April 26, 2006

Maybe I expected too much from the reviews. I was expecting a sparkling oasis with luxury accomodations. It's basically average looking when you drive by it. The reception area was like you see it in the pictures and people generally polite. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable and clean. The bathroom could use some updating and one poster's comment about the low showerhead was confirmed in my room. If you are expecting something above a regular motel or some of the other hotels in the area, then this is for you. But, if you are, like I was, expecting this to totally blow your mind away, it's probably not going to. The koi pond was pleasant, but also had a downside as the ducks on it woke me up really early! Overall, I would stay there again, if I were forced to choose between the other hotels in the area (the comparable group being the Best Westerns, Day's Inn, Ramada) and the price were similar. The Westins are still at the next level.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank Boston_Dude05
Reviewed January 18, 2006

This is just such an interesting place to stay. Even though the buildings (and our room) are obviously a remodeled older building, and even though the furnishings weren't super posh or expensive I really didn't care -- I was too busy enjoying myself and all the great things they *did* spend their budget on.

Since it was raining buckets, I didn't get to wander the grounds, but I greatly enjoyed opening my window (and closing the sheers) in order to listen to the waterfall right outside our room. (Note to the owners: don't turn off the waterfall in the middle of the night!) Our suite (not two rooms, but a bedroom with a curtained sitting area off the garden) came with an exercise bike (!) separate tvs in the sitting room and bathroom (built in to the wall), and a fabulous marble steam shower with a multitude of jets and water pressure enough to use them. Ahhh -- a hot shower, a lyric waterfall, and a little Food TV was a nice way to relax after a tiring plane ride. (No stupid "hotel channel" either, just plain cable -- a welcome relief.) Surprisingly (but pleasantly) the large picture window in the sitting room came with not only sheers, but power blinds and a heavy power curtain -- perfect for adjusting your level of privacy and fun to play with. Bathroom slippers, robes, a decent selection of toiletries, and plenty of soft towels and pillows did I lot to make me forgive the 1" gap under the outside door.

I can't price/qualilty compare it with the other places in town (though my hubby claimed he got a 'deal' through hotels.com) but it was just such a relief to stay someplace far removed from the faceless sterility of your average hotel room, I didn't care. Thoroughly enjoyable -- I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2006
13  Thank bibliomom
Reviewed October 8, 2005

It is two months since our stay at Dinah's. If I could leave right now I'd be on my way back ! The patio room we stayed in was perfect, not too upscale as to be uncomfortable and not in the least shabby. It provided all we needed and more. As you step out to the patio you leave town and enter an island retreat. The small island with bamboo grove and double waterfall is literally two feet from our patio table. You are greeted by a very spoiled group of Koi who will have you trained in short order. Please don't feed them bread and such. The magnificent staff will provide you with
a small bucket of pellets on request. The Koi are brilliantly colored and range in size from 2 feet long to guppy size. Exotic plants are everywhere and walkways take you over arched bridges to gazebos and garden statuary where you can pause and let yourself absorb the sound of fountains, breezes stirring the bamboo, and the coos of doves. They also enjoy a morning treat of seeds. ( Again just ask and it will be provided. )
After you enjoy your morning coffee (coffeemaker,coffee,cups,fridge, sugar,etc.) provided in your room w/ morning paper, take a short walk to the pool for breakfast. If it happens to be Sunday sleep in and enjoy the Champagne Brunch at Trader Vic's. Part of the complex !!! Between the room service and Trader Vic's there is little reason to look for places to eat,but if you like to explore you'll find everything from A-Z within a 5 mile radius. Well that's just the morning,I think you'll understand, I could go on and on. Take your camera, Enjoy the very friendly staff,and the most accomadating management.
ndabreak

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank ndabreak
Reviewed August 11, 2005

We stayed here for our wedding night and advised many of our out of town guest to stay here while they were in town for the wedding. That recommendation made us look like absolute heroes. What a great place to stay.

We stayed in one of their theme suites (the Bali suite) and it was incredible. It had a gas fireplace that was controlled by a switch on the wall (lent the room a very romantic ambiance). It had window shades that (again) were operated by switches on the wall. We just thought that was neat. The original artwork was stunning. The steam shower was very relaxing, as was the regular shower with 5 separate shower heads (including one of those rainfall shower heads overhead). The power shades on the window came in handy because the view out the window was remarkable - we overlooked a koi pond with HUGE koi in it (approximately two to three feet long). Overall, the room was stunning.

And the service was out of this world. We spoke with the manager and the staff on a couple of occassions before the wedding (we set aside a block of rooms for guests here) and in every encounter with the management and staff here, they all went out of their way to accomodate us and make us feel welcome. It was obvious that each of them took a lot of pride in their place of employment (a trait far too uncommon in today's world). I know that they even made special concessions to certain of our wedding guests at no extra charge (e.g. putting a family with a newborn into one of the one-bedroom apartments they offer). The management and staff here seem to come from a different time, a time when customer service was king and value was queen.

If you need to stay in the Palo Alto area (for any reason whatsoever), I strongly recommend you stay here.

• Stayed: July 2005