“Enchanting and friendly place to stay in Palo Alto”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I booked Dinah's Garden Hotel through 'name your own price' on Priceline, where they said it was a 3.5 star property. Based on my experience, I would rate it a full 4 stars. Very friendly and customer service oriented front desk staff made check in a breeze. My room was large and very nicely appointed. I really liked that there was a small fridge, as well as a little sink and utensils in the kitchen area. And each morning they provide two Ghirardelli chocolates and fresh fruit at no charge. The grounds are beautiful - My room had a small private patio right on a koi pond, with lush landscaping. The pool is great - large, and easy to get in and out of. Ther are two restaurants on the property, as well as room service. The property is split up into several buildings, but there is ample parking around each one, so you never have far to go. And even though the hotel is situated right on busy El Camino Really, you really don't hear any street noise (at least I didn't in the building I was in at the back fo the property. Check out was also easy. I stay in Palo Alto about once a year, usually for a long weekend, and I've stayed at various other hotels. But now Dinah's is going to be my hotel of choice in Palo Alto. Sure, the Westin is closer to campus, but it's also (generally) much more expensive, and frankly, I preferred Dinah's.

Room Tip: The '600' building at the back of the property is nice - no street noise - ground floor room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed here for 2 weeks & the place is lovely. The entrance is decorated with flowers. The manager is very courteous. I got a room on ground floor facing the pool with a patio. The other side had a lagoon. You could hear the sound of fountain if your room is near. The lagoon has some fishes which can be amusing to small kids. The bed is very comfortable facing a 30 inch (approx.) TV. The whole hotel area (outside included) had free WiFi which is very helpful. The cleaning staff also did their job pretty well.

Small things on the negative side, the room didn't have white light. So if you want to read/write, that can be an issue. Sometimes you could hear noises of people walking on the floor above.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Very nice hotel, nice rooms and everything is very clean and fresh. Front desk is also very helpfull.
However be aware of the construction happening by the side of the 800 building. It's very disturbing at 8am every single day!!

Room Tip: Avoid the corner of 800 building
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank FMel0
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Dinah's Garden inn has been our constant place to stay for several years when we visit our daughter and her family in Palo Alto. A bit remote from downtown (15 minutes - but there is a free bus that stops in front of the hotel), the hotel complex has beautiful and well-appointed rooms (and the beds are incredibly comfortable). A lovely walkway with bridges crossing a stream has stopping places so visitors can watch the swimming koi and enjoy the soft sounds of the fountains scattered throughout. The staff are always professional and efficient and accommodating. There is a very nice centrally located outdoor pool next to a restaurant (which changed hands recently and unfortunately we now find it too pricey). The only negative is that the prices at the hotel have also spiked. A lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 100 or 300 building for greatest convenience.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FansofUmbria
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed here with my family in a ground floor suite in summer. Thought I'd try it for work in December. Hmmm. Top-/3rd-floor room, sounds good but means dragging bags up stairs or in a slow elevator and across gangways. Not enough parking. And why can't West Coast hotels have 24-hr gyms or open at 4 or 5am which is a decent time for someone who has to be at work by 7am for East Coast financial markets... Poolside restaurant freezing wind coming in through the door .. I guess the bed as comfortable...

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank freqstayer
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I've stayed here for a week a couple times on business and have had good experiences both times. The rooms I've gotten have been nice and quiet -- in building 6, I believe, towards the back of the property.

The property is quite nice and well maintained. The "garden" is peaceful with a little bridge, a koi pond, and (I think) a sitting area.

The staff were very accommodating and helpful.

Parking can be a bit of a challenge sometimes.

Room Tip: I was happy with my rooms in building 6. There was zero traffic noise, although I sometimes had to w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I'm not really a blogger, but my husband and I had our anniversary at this hotel and the service we received here made us feel very special and very welcomed. Upon arrival, as we walked in, the door automatically opened for us and we were greeted by a warm and friendly front desk staff. We informed the hotel that this was our anniversary and we wanted it to be special, so the people at the front desk gave us plenty of options for dining as well as options for things to do in the area. The rooms were very clean and the housekeeping staff was very friendly, the poolside restaurant has a great menu for breakfast and for room service. All and all, this is a great hotel and we will definitely be coming back.
*An extra side note: Special thanks to the gentleman at the front desk who made my husband feel extra welcomed by speaking french to him.

Room Tip: Choose the Lanai Suite for the honeymooners
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple