“A pleasant stay.”

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Jyväskylä
“A pleasant stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was on a business trip in Palo Alto and stayed in Dinah's Garden for four nights. There are multiple buildings in the hotel and I had a room in building 6, which was a short walk from the front desk. Room was spatious and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The environment was nice, having small gardens and ponds around. I had a breakfast every morning in the poolside restaurant and they had quite a nice selection in the breakfast menu but it took a while to get it to the table. Service in the fron desk and in the restaurant was nice.
All and all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Dinah's exterior never impressed me and the El Camino location is definitely not the most peaceful place in Palo Alto... I only stayed at the hotel this time because all the other hotels I usually stay were sold out. Having said that, I was impressed with the suite where I stayed (Bali). Despite being an old building, the owners did a great job with the room decoration. The shower is one of the very best I experienced in a hotel. The bed is also excellent.

The checkout service follows the old model (i.e. go to the front desk and give your credit card). I wish they implement an out checkout for business people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, they upgraded me to the FDR suite, which was exceptionally nice. The room was big, spacious, quiet and well furnished, with a nice view into Koi pond and its birds. The bed was fantastic, top grade mattress, linen and blankets. Some of the best sleep quality I had in a hotel for a very long while, including some fairly high end hotels. The amenities were great (soap, shampoo, lotion, etc..) and as an additional treat, two fresh flavorful apples and chocolates each day. The room had a steam shower, which was a REAL treat to relax after a long, intense day of work and a gas fireplace, which was perfect for feeling cozy during my rainy visit. The internet was fast speed and I could download huge files, stream movies and I have not encountered internet at this bandwidth in a hotel room. As a final treat, I had an exercise bike in my own room. I came back to a spotless room each day and the front desk was extremely friendly and "can do".

Restaurants are both the up and the downside of this place. I went to The Sea by Alexander's on property two nights. The best food I ever had in Palo Alto, comparable to some of NYC's finest, the food was simply to die for. But, also to part with a $100 per person for, not something one can afford every. Their alternative "poolside restaurant" is at the other end, un-edible. Breakfast and room-service options are limited. The menu has a limited selection of unappealing and poorly prepared items. I ordered breakfast and it was so bad I had to return it and I preferred airport food. If only this place could get a decent "hotel restaurant", in additional to its high end heavenly delight, it would be perfect.

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times, 3 times I stayed in the buildings 5 and 6 and had a fantastic stay. Once I was close to the pool and it was very noisy. I visit the area 3 times each year and the past two years I have been searching for the right hotel. Generally speaking, hotels in Palo Alto are outrageously over-priced, with a "motel feel". I used to stay at the Stanford Terrace Inn, when it had a different management and was ranked first in trip-advisor, except than now it became in intolerable hotel and rightly ranked at the bottom So I have been searching for a new option and I have tried 6 different hotels. I currently feel that Dinah's Garden is the best hotel in the area hands down, and a good value for your money in this area. I have stayed at the Westin twice, and Dinah's Garden hotel is so much better on all counts except location and a better value. I have stayed at The Zen hotel and while cheaper, what you get at the Dinah's is well worth paying a bit more for. I have not tried the Garden Court, but Dinah's Garden was always less than half-price, so I never saw the need. If you are staying in the area and don't mind the 8 extra minute drive "into town", this is the place to stay and for sure better than some places currently higher rated.

Room Tip: The rooms that over look the Koi-pond are best. Buildings 5 and 6. They are spacious and peaceful...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I should preface my comments with the fact that I did not stay at the hotel. A local suggested I have breakfast here so I wandered to the hotel and was blown away by the beautiful gardens and sitting in those beautiful gardens while eating some of the best eggs benedict of my life. It took my breath away. The icing on the cake.. the owner/or hotel manager came around to each table to see how everyone was doing and chatted with each table like a long lost family friend. He even took the time to sit down with me and give me suggestions on where to visit (on foot) as my friends were touring Stanford for the day. A++

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Chelc24
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

The room was very spacious and clean. Housekeeping was awesome. Enjoyed the chocolates everyday. The front desk was pleasant and helpful. The only draw backs are there was no tub in our room and I'm a soaker. Outdoor pool was nice, but too cold to swim in. It would have been great if there was a hot tub, to once again soak in. Taxi ride from San Fran was $119. Yikes. Last day used "Best Car Service" 408-985-4237, only $85. Ask for Jeremy as your driver, he was fantastic. Would totally stay here again. Gardens are beautiful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed there almost for 20 nights.The room is clean and the housekeeping service is good. The staff is nice. I went there for business trip, the location is so perfect for me. It is in between of our two partner's place in Palo Auto. And it is 30 min to the shopping center which is good for holiday shopping. My room is at first floor with a backyard facing pool side. The room is with heater, so even it is cold in winter time, I still sleep very well. I like the room very much and it becomes my priority place everytime I go to Palo Auto.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very nice hotel. Tile floors and spacious room. Quiet and clean. We had a discounted rate with a Groupon deal. Made it worth the stay. On the south edge of Palo Alto. Would stay there again if we got a deal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family