“An easy stay, an excellent Mai Tai” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dinah's Garden Hotel

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“An easy stay, an excellent Mai Tai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here on business travel in the middle of the week, so the hotel wasn't full. The room was quite nice, very clean, and fairly spacious for one person. As another reviewer said, it was cold, but the heater by the bed took care of that in about an hour. The poolside restaurant is quite nice, and the drinks are very good. The waiter took excellent care of us. It's convenient to the university, and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If the hotel is busy, ask for a room not facing the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Korean first
Summit, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My office booked this hotel for me by mistake -- they were supposed to book the Garden Court hotel downtown. So imagine my surprise upon pulling up to the giant Elephant statues on ECR instead of downtown. But the Garden Court was booked full, so I decided to make the best of it. Glad I did, as the hotel was perfectly nice, safe, comfortable, etc., with a large room. The front desk clerks were friendly and helpful and the room was imaculate every day. All in all, perfect for a business trip on a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank GGTraveler
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We visited family in Palo Alto over Christmas. Dinah's was clean and friendly. Would recommend it. We did not swim but it is close to everything in Palo Alto and Los Altos including theatres, Stanford University and Hidden Villa farm. Would highly recommend Dinah's.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Davis, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I liked the room, and the furniture...nice, clean and well-designed. However, the heat was inadequate. I was cold. Next time, nice hotel people, please offer an electric heater when it's so cold outside.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here for a week on a business trip. The hotel is about an hour drive from San Francisco but I was working at Stanford University so was perfect for me. The rooms are excellent. I had a balcony that overlooked the pool where in the morning humming birds would be in the tree, wonderful. The room was very spacious, well stocked mini bar and fabulous mini coffee maker. There was plenty of storage and work space. The bed and pillows were really comfortable. The bathroom was very clean excellent shower and plenty of fresh towels and toiletries every day. The place itself is very quiet. The breakfast room is great lots of choice and excellent service although you can get free coffee and pastries in the reception area, breakfast was about $15 dependent on what I had (their eggs benedict is to die for). All the staff were very pleasant and helpful.

My only grumble is that there is nowhere within the confines of the hotel to get a meal and a drink in the evening, although the road which the hotel is on has plenty of choice, Chinese, Mexican, Italian and sushi to name but a few. But I was a lone female and would have been happier staying in the hotel at night. Although the staff to be fair did offer to order me take out.

I can recommend getting a taxi (cab) for about $20 to Stanford shopping centre it’s fabulous (Bloomingdales, Macey’s, Nordstrom and lots of little quant shops) and to University road. This is a road that is spoilt for choice for eating and shopping and very beautiful, the cheesecake factory is a must. I also visited Stanford University which was well worth a wander round.

Although I was working I did get to have some fun time. Took a boat trip around the San Francisco bay under the golden gate bridge and round Alcatraz, which was great. If you want to visit Alcatraz Island you have to book months in advance. San Francisco itself is good for shopping I went on my last day as my flight wasn’t until the evening. I left my bags in the secure area at the airport $15 and got the direct train $8 return to San Francisco this was really good.

Room Tip: 1st floor overlooking the pool was great peaceful and good view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nogie1810
Venice
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Because we sold our Palo Alto family home of over forty years in 2007, now we do not have a place to gather in our home town. We all stayed at Dinah's this year to celebrate my mom's 85th birthday and it was perfect. We rented several rooms and we were very pleased with this Palo Alto landmark! Growing up, we used to eat at Dinah's Shack for special occasions and my high school boyfriend worked at the hotel so it holds a sentimental place for us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Hotel is centrally situated and has easy access to the offices in silicon valley. its good for business trips or short stay. the rooms are small but functional. the place has a motel feel since the hotel is composed of multiple 2 story buildings. the service is good and the folks are helpful without being fawning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
JBloomfeldt, Front Office Manager at Dinah's Garden Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments on our hotel and we appreciate and value your feedback very much. To provide our guest’s with the absolute best service and experience we are undergoing a lot of changes throughout our property.

I am happy to announce that our Dinah’s Poolside Restaurant is now open for breakfast and lunch each day from 7am until 2:30pm. We are also pleased to announce that the new restaurant on property, The Sea, by Alexander’s Steak House, is holding their Grand Opening this Friday November 9, 2012. We will be starting our room renovations on all of our Deluxe Rooms starting soon. We do hope that you will come back to the property and give us another chance to wow you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palo Alto
The Westin Palo Alto
The Westin Palo Alto
#10 of 27 in Palo Alto
4.0 of 5 stars 583 reviews

Been to Dinah's Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!