“Dated”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The room itself is quite large. It comes with a small kitchen (sink, fridge, coffee maker, small dining table), couch, an exercise bike (other rooms come with dumbbells), dressing table and a bed. If you have a room on the ground level it opens up to a small sitting area by the koi pond (at least I think they are kois) which can be quite calming if you are one who likes to sit outside with a book or the newspaper. The bathrooms are is in a separate area by the closet (sort of like a walk-in) and not just a door in the room so it is quite private. Room Service is from Trader Vics.
Overall I would stay here again. It is quiet and spacious. The housekeeping does a good job with keeping the rooms tidy and clean. The grounds are clean. The pond is maintained (so there are no mosquitos). The bathrooms have been upgraded. The furniture is dated but serves its purpose. Free wifi. The bed and pillows were comfortable and clean.
Complimentary Coffee with the room. No complimentary water bottles. The hotel is also conveniently located near a WholeFoods.
My stay was very restful. The bed was comfy enough, the A/C was cool enough that I did not feel the need to check out the gym, the pool, breakfast or use Wifi during my stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kittySingapore

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was my first time staying at Dinah's Garden Hotel. My dear friend and I were celebrating our 45 years of friendship and her birthday. From the time we checked in with Veronica to the checking out the next day, our time spent here was extra special. Veronica upgraded our room upon arrival to add to our celebration which was a unexpected delight. Our room was spacious, quiet and overlooking a beautiful water feature, with lush vegetation and even included koi and a family of ducks. The WIFI and parking are free which was a surprise too. Room service was prompt and exceeded our expectations. The grounds are small yet lovely and the pool was warm. This was truly an 'oasis' in the middle of Palo Alto. Though this hotel is an older hotel, this will now be my 'home' when I come to visit my family during the holidays and other occasions

Room Tip: Some ground floor rooms have an a little patio. The inside court area is lovely. We were in the 500...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is a nice enough place, but everything in our room felt dated and mismatched. The room -- in the 600 building -- was very large and had a wet bar and fridge, although the fridge was on its last legs and could barely keep things cool. The furniture seemed to have been picked at random from several different collections and one nightstand was actually just a box -- no drawers, just a place for the lamp. I liked the room, but it could really use an overhaul.

The gardens are lovely and it's nice to hear the running water in the ponds. One evening we watched a heron prowling around. We also didn't have the mosquito issues other reviewers have.

The Poolside Grill is great for breakfast. As others have noted, Trader Vic's is gone. I think a steakhouse is going into the spot

My wife's headquarters is near here and has direct billing, so I have no idea if the prices are good or not. It's centrally located, but there isn't much you can walk to, but lots of stuff within a five minute drive. My wife's colleagues told us the Chinese restaurant across the street has good food but terrible service. We went elsewhere :) Fuki Sushi, just up El Camino Real, was excellent.

I'm sure I'll stay here again because of the work connection. I'll be hoping they update some of the furnishings before my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife stayed at Dinah's the week before I did and she loved it. I had perhaps a somewhat less enthusiastic experience. Overall, the value is great. Free WiFi, free continental breakfast in the lobby, nice pool and pretty well kept grounds.

On the negative side, the fitness center had a limited number of machines and they were really outdated. The elliptical/stairmaster was more like what you would see on one of those cheap infomercials. The Trader Vics that was on the property is now closed although it appears that a new restaurant will be opening soon. I know, why would you want to eat at a Trader Vics? Well it was my father's favorite and I was wanting to relive a bit of my childhood.

Speaking of that, going to Dinah's is like a step back to the 1970s. The place felt like a Wisconsin Dells motel. It was kind of kitschy in pleasant sort of way but definitely feeling like a throw back to the 1970s.

Although many people have noted how quiet Dinah's is, my experience was not as positive. The people in the room above me sounded like elephants and I wondered if they might not fall through to my room given the stomping. The exterior walls are not so thick so someone kept beeping their horn every time they locked their door.

The location is about a 10 minute drive from Stanford University and about 5 minutes from downtown Palo Alto. Most people will want to drive as the walk would be pretty far.

Room Tip: Being on the second floor means hauling your luggage up there but it might be quieter not to have so...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We go to Palo Alto every few months to see to the needs of an elderly relative and since this can be a exhausting and stressful time, we look forward to going to the Dinah to rest - don't hesitate to book a room that is more than the standard or entry level room - we have stayed in three different types of rooms there and all were fine but the FDR Suite was marvelous ! Great for a weekend get a way for locals or a special treat for those travelling - it was perfect for us and made our stay in Palo Alto perfect - the amenities in the rooms are really good and the shower alone in the FDR suite is worth booking the room !!! - we even had a stationery bike right in the room !!! - Thanks to the wonderful staff there we will be back and we are all ready looking forward to it. - Love the Fuji apples !!

Room Tip: Book the "best" room you can get - we had a suite and I don't think we can go back to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Very relaxing stay. As long as you get a room with a view (not of the parking lot) you will enjoy this property. Not a luxury hotel but the large rooms w/ frig and sink have basically everything one would need. The place makes you feel you're back in the 1970s with classic fixtures and phones.

Front desk staff a bit confused and disorganized. Other than that, it was a pleasant stay and a great value for the price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2012

we stayed at the Dinah in early June to attend our daughter's graduation from Stanford. Several aunts and uncles and godparents also joined us so I had booked a total of 5 rooms. Thanks to the wonderful staff and great facilities at the Dinah, this wonderful family gathering and celebration was even better. First, even tho this hotel is on Camino Real just a few miles from Stanford, it is EXTREMELY quiet --, VERY quiet -- since it sits back behind Trader Vics, so QUIET QUIET QUIET -- everyone slept WELL. My husband and I had a small suite with a nice little kitchen and balcony -- so our room was the gathering point. Could not have been better, VERY updated and modern even tho the hotel is older (but has been well renovated recently) and EXTREMELY clean with nice decorating touches, quiet air conditioning, and coffee makers and refrigs in all the rooms! Our room was delightful, well decorated, VERY spacious and very comfortable for up to 12 people having some snacks and drinks one evening before heading out to dinner, sitting on the balcony and enjoying the nice weather! What a delight to be able gather and talk! Just perfect. I guess I was wishing there had been a breakfast, but as it turns out the cafe by the pool in the morning is FANTASTIC -- just a delightful setting and very reasonable prices with very good food! Again, the staff was very kind as they would gather up a few tables and chairs so we could be together! So, if you want your standard cold cookie cutter hotel room, go somewhere else, but if you would like a very updated, modern, very clean, fun place with a GREAT staff (THANKS Jessica B for everything) -- go to the Dinah! The grounds are wonderful with ponds and plants, the pool is delightful, the rooms are wonderful! All of our guests were very comfortable, slept well -- could not have been happier! THANKS THANKS THANKS! especially Thanks to Jessica for juggling our complicated reservations and welcome baskets so kindly!! Oh, just remembered this, one of our guests had hip surgery 4 weeks earlier so Jessica made sure the special toilet adapter for handicapped was in place even! THANKS kind of funny to mention that, but that was attention to detail at this place! :)

Room Tip: all rooms are quiet, and the suites are great if you need a gathering place -- we played cards, had...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family