“My favorite place to stay in Palo Alto”
Review of Cardinal Hotel

Cardinal Hotel
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Wilmington, Delaware
“My favorite place to stay in Palo Alto”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Couldn't be happier. Love your hotel and your staff. Requested a feather-free, scent-free room due to asthma. It was almost perfect but the bedding was infused with a scent that bothered me the first night. Spoke with Ninfa who identified it as coming from the dryer sheets. She rewashed sheets, pillowcases, a blanket and a bedspread, remade our bed and it was perfect the next night! Her kindness and willingness to go above and beyond matches the wonderful ambiance that you have created in your "home away from home". You keep the lobby warm and wonderful, with a fire crackling in the fireplace, really good coffee, tea and hot cocoa, a variety of local and national newspapers, cozy arm chairs and sofas, a chess set, checkers set, old-fashioned phone booth (where I actually went in to take a call) and a bonus library up the staircase from the lobby. This visit to our son in school actually felt like a vacation in an old, gracious estate house. Plus the staff members we met were friendly, helpful, attentive and engaged us in interesting conversation. Thank you and we look forward to our next visit with you!

Room Tip: If you want an interesting view of Palo Alto, since you are right downtown, expect noise at night fr...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redwhiteandblue123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Location is great for Palo Alto, close to all amenities and the centre of town. Service was good. Staff was warm and friendly. Needs air conditioning though ... gets hot and stuffy in the room. Loved the room though. Nice warm and welcoming.

Room Tip: The hotel is in the town centre, thus there are some noise. Not intrusive though. I really enjoyed t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Anelle76
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I choose the Cardinal every time because of the great value, clean rooms, quiet, and excellent location. It is now part of my experience each time I head back to visit Stanford. This visit, I was given a room along the stair well - super! The shared bathrooms were spotless as usual. I also value the on-site coin laundry and the all-day coffee and tea in the cozy lobby is always a welcome.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank IndependentSightseer
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I grew up in Palo Alto, from 1963 to 1979. So my review may be colored somewhat nostalgic. I remember many, maybe hundreds of times walking or driving or bicycling past the Cardinal Hotel in my youth, not knowing anything about it. I had never set foot inside the doors until my recent visit to stay with family (11/28/2013). This year, there were no extra family rooms, so I had to reserve my room in a hotel. I had considered the typical chains (Motel, 6; Best Western; etc), and Dinah's, but I went online to see about downtown PA hotels. The Cardinal looked appealing: an old-style classic hotel from the last century, well-kept and open for business. My stay was from Wednesday through Monday morning. I was smitten by the Cardinal's vintage architecture, construction, looks, atmosphere, and charm as soon as I walked in the front door. The Cardinal is a hotel from the old days, or "European style" as some others have said. So, don't expect a swimming pool, gym, massage rooms, tennis courts, underground or room-side parking or any other accoutrements that the modern commercial "Hotel/Motel" chains offer. This is an authentic old-world downtown hotel, and the experience is of another era. For instance, the entire hotel, including your room, is heated by old-fashioned steam radiators. You will have a radiator in your room -- no central heat or air. If it's too hot in summer, please find a table fan in the linen closet to set near the outside window. Downstairs in the period lobby, please find a large fireplace and comfortable couches to sit on. The old-fashioned manual elevator is also a well-preserved touch from the past.

In or near Palo Alto there are cheaper hotels to stay in, and there are other hotels with more modern amenities, but I will be returning to the Cardinal for its charm. And by the way, I found the rooms 5/5 for cleanliness, the sleeping is mostly quiet, the beds and pillows comfortable, and the service is excellent. I am now a Cardinal client who will return again many times.

Room Tip: * Rooms that look at Hamilton or Ramona Streets may be noisy on Friday & Saturday nights * Shar...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights at this old-style hotel in downtown Palo Alto. Very much enjoyed it. It is a mini-version of what you could call the "Barton Fink" style Californian hotel built, I am guessing, in the twenties or thirties. No horror stories here though, the management were just great (including shipping me the coat I had left behind) and the room quiet and roomy.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Georgetown, Maine
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here three nights while attending a reunion. The room was very clean, quiet, newly painted and furnished. I got a cheap room without an attached bath or toilet (there was a sink). Served my purposes perfectly and saved a good bit of money. More expensive rooms have attached bathroom that are still cheaper than area hotels. The location is perfect for exploring PA; parking wasn't a problem; friendly staff. The lobby looks like I remember it 30 years ago, but not still nicely furnished and warm. Great location to find PA restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Covesiders
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was my first time staying at the Cardinal Hotel, as I was in town for a big football game. The Cardinal Hotel is located right in the middle of downtown Palo Alto. Restaurants, shops, and bars are all within walking distance. Stanford stadium is also a short 15 minute walk from the hotel. If you stay here, I recommend requesting a room with a private bath. Since this hotel is European style, I booked a room with a shared bath (which is located down the hall) and it was a little inconvenient. Although the shared bathrooms were clean, I'd prefer my own in-room bathroom on my next visit.

Room Tip: Choose a room with its own private bathroom even if it costs extra.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
#1 of 10 in Menlo Park
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
#15 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Cardinal Hotel? Share your experiences!