All reviewsciboattached restaurantcreek runningel caminoshuttle serviceconvenience storelip balmcomplimentary winewithin milesbeautiful groundsquiet locationstanford universityfree shuttleparking loton site restaurantthe palo alto areabottled water
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We were visiting Palo Alto for a short stay to attend a wedding. Thought we'd splash out a bit, so Googled "boutique hotels Palo Alto" online, and Creekside Inn came up. Coincidentally, this was also where a lot of other out-of-town wedding guests were staying, so we booked it for two nights. There is a lot we liked about this place (see below), but it is not a boutique hotel, in spite of what they say on their website. I understand "boutique hotel" to mean a hotel that is fairly high end, or is distinguished by something unique (history, architecture, theme etc). The Creekside Inn is on a busy road, and the rooms are like you would find at any older motel in North America.
Having said that, we enjoyed our stay. The room was a reasonable size and, although the decor was a bit outdated, the bed was comfortable, the free internet worked, the TV was recent, and the bathroom was small but clean. We had a fridge and a safe. Outside each room was a place to sit and look over the gardens, which are one of the nice features of the hotel - lots of flowers and trees, and well looked after. In spite of being near a busy road, it was quiet. Lots of parking. Laundry and fitness room. A smallish pool that was popular with the children.
We found the staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful.
Plenty of restaurants and shops nearby, and excellent location for visiting Stanford or for touring the wine country to the south. It would be easy to take the train into San Francisco as well.
In addition to the standard "free" breakfast (muffins and coffee), there is a restaurant on site. We only had breakfast there, but they also serve lunch and dinner. Breakfast was very good. There is also a deli/convenience/liquor store that serves delicious home-made sandwiches and good coffee.
To sum up, if you are looking for reasonably priced accommodation, this is an unusual variation on the standard motel: nice people, good location, lovely gardens, and a variety of good food.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
KingGeorgeMgr, Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate the positive feedback and pride ourselves on being able to provide an excellent service experience for visitors coming to Palo Alto. What makes the ambience of our property so special is the natural garden setting; packed with seasonal botanicals, our gardens provide lovely sitting areas, a trickling fountain, and the centuries old Matadero Creek that runs through our grounds. The uniqueness of our property and our committment to service distinguishes us from other hotels in the area. Although we are situated off of a main thoroughfare, upon entrance into our 3.5 acre urban oasis, the tranquility of the environment sooths your frazzled nerves and restores serenity to the human spirit - priceless!

We hope you enjoyed your visit to Palo Alto. We appreciate your business and look forward to providing you excellent hospitality when you return!

Safe Travels,

Creekside Inn Management and Staff

Reviewed June 22, 2010

We are a family of six and we reserved what we were told would be a suite to sleep six people including a kitchen. Instead we were accommodated in a room with two double beds, a sleeper sofa in an open alcove, and a mini-fridge. The room is much too small for six people -- not even a partition to separate the sleeping area from the alcove.
To be honest, even if we were three or four to the room, it would be too small. The furnishings are comfortable but there is no drawer space (two drawers in total!) and the bathroom is tiny. Other than this, the hotel grounds are nice and the staff are very friendly and helpful. If we return as a party of two, we would stay there again, but not with our children or we would take 2 -3 rooms to accommodate six people!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank shimmiec
Reviewed May 6, 2010

First stayed at the Creekside 30 years ago. Recently had the opportunity to stay there again and was pleasantly surprised that the peaceful and dignified quality that I remember was still present. The buildings are all circa 60's? but have been very carefully updated and maintained. The room was current and relevant in its feel and furnishings, and the retro heavily forested "garden" feel was beautifully kept with an abundance of bedding flowers and well-manicured landscaping.. All in all a comfortable and peaceful retreat in the heart of Palo Alto. And I felt that the room was a very good value. Creekside is a motor hotel, not a full-service establishment, but that is fine! An upscale experience for a third of what the Four Seasons asks. My only quibble was with the seemingly original bathroom door hinges, which have seen better days and squeaked loudly. You'd think that housekeeping would have noticed this long ago, and it was out of place with an otherwise sensitively updated room. But that's a minor point. Nice to see that the Creekside is still going strong!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2010

My daughter and I chose the Creekside Inn for a Mother’s day getaway due to TripAdvisor reviews. As other reviewers have mentioned, the exterior of the hotel is pretty nondescript. I would have passed it by without a second glance if I hadn’t made reservations in advance. Speaking of reservations, go to the Creekside Inn’s own website at www.creekside-inn.com to make your reservations. We reserved our Deluxe King room on the Creekside Inn’s website at a rate that was $40 less than what Expedia and the others were offering.

As promised, the front desk staff (the manager himself) was extremely polite both to me and the gentleman who came in after me while I was checking in.

We planned to go on a Stanford tour immediately upon arrival. Our original idea was to use the hotel’s town car to get us to and from Stanford. I knew I’d be tired of driving after a three-hour trip to get here. Unfortunately, the desk manager said that the town car only runs until 5pm on weekends, and it must be reserved an hour in advance. I couldn’t guarantee that we’d be done with the Stanford tour by 5pm, so we had to drive ourselves. If the hotel is going to offer a town car service (which is a lovely idea, by the way), I’m perplexed as to why they wouldn’t offer it during the popular Saturday evening dining/entertainment hours.

Our guest room was pleasantly spacious, clean, and attractively furnished. The bed is comfy with lots of pillows. There’s a broad balcony outside. Straight on, the view from our room was mostly of the next building. If you go out on the patio and turn left, however, there was a nice-looking fountain and surrounding gardens. I’d probably quibble about the art with generic nature/pastoral scenes. They’re pleasant enough. However, it would have made more sense to have pictures of Stanford or something else unique to Palo Alto.

We appreciated the little refrigerator and the free wireless internet access. The laptop-sized safe in the closet was an especially thoughtful touch, since my daughter and I almost always travel with our laptops and typically worry about their security. The TV is in its own armoire, with thoughtfully-provided Playstation jacks for gamers. The bathroom is also spacious, and I appreciate the fact that the coffee service occupies its own counter outside the bathroom, so it’s not taking up precious space on the bathroom counter.

Because we travel with our laptops, I always count the number of available electrical outlets that can be used for laptops, cell phone chargers, etc. The hotels we like best have at least one free outlet on each side of the bed for easy computing, and others available elsewhere for cell phone chargers. There were none free by the bed. My daughter had to stretch her laptop cord across the room to the desk to find an electrical outlet within reach of the bed. There was one more socket available near the window, and one next to the coffee service.

I appreciated having central heat/air with my own thermostat. We were easily able to set the room at a comfortable temperature.

I woke out of a sound sleep at 4:45am due to a loud mechanical click/bang sound. A half-hour later, I discovered that the sound was the result of the refrigerator cycling on. Most refrigerators just start humming, not banging. Luckily, I went to bed early enough that I got enough sleep. Otherwise, I’d be cussing about being sleepy before my three-hour drive home. I hope this was just my refrigerator, and not all of them.

Our room was located near the stairwell, and I feared that we’d hearing the banging of people coming up and down the stairs. We didn’t. We didn’t hear a peep from the stairwell or the room next door. It was quiet and peaceful. The only outside sound I heard was when the birds started twittering the next morning.

About those radios: I often wonder if hoteliers ever actually sleep in the rooms they design. The hotel must have purchased the clock/radios because they double as iPOD chargers/players. That’s a nice touch, except that the clock display has black numbers against the brightest white background I’ve seen in any hotel room. I had to cover it with a washcloth and a book, and turn the radio to face the wall, in order to make the room dark enough to sleep. Otherwise, the display is literally bright enough to read by, and it makes a bright glow that covers half the hotel room.

Overall, this was a decent value choice.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Different to the usual style of Hotel I'm used to , more a drive up to the door style motel . Agree with all the comments made about the staff, always very friendly and helpful. Free wifi a pleasant surpise. Very convenient for downtown Paolo Alto and some good restaurants . Breakfast can be high calorie if you take the pastries, take the Deli option if you want fruit and juices. Only negative, In room coffee not very good.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business