“Creekside "Inn" your derriere”

Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Let me start with an analogy. If you bought a pair of Nike running shoes from Amazon and got a great deal, you're going to get the same quality if you got them from Nike itself, right? That apparently doesn't transfer to the hotel industry, especially if you book the Creekside Inn.

We did our due diligence and found a great deal through Hotwire. But upon check in, we got the most undesirable room in the place with ONE queen bed. When we asked if we could get a king or double beds, we were told they didn't have any more doubles... if we wanted a king, it would be an extra $80. When pressed on the issue, Prabin,? the dude at the registration desk, said he couldn't help us. It was 80 bucks or the room he'd assign to us. When pressed further, he was suddenly sold out and didn't want to help us any more.

Obviously irritated with us, he turned to a gentleman who had approached the desk. Guess what, the man wasn't happy with his room either, but Prabin suddenly pulled out a nicer room out of his backside and voila, the man was granted his wish. We on the other hand, were basically dared to take the room or walk away and find other accommodations, which we did.

It's not like this place is all that great, it's a motel dressed up to look like a 3-star hotel. It's a dump with a fresh coat of paint.

This seems to be happening more and more with Hotwire and Expedia. Hotels are dumping their less desirable rooms and giving them to people who book through these sites. What makes matters worse, you get places such as the CREEP-SIDE INN, where you get treated with bad attitude and condescending manners.

In all fairness, it's not and indictment on everyone. The night before, because we found ourselves in Palo Alto 24 hours sooner than expected, we booked the Westin through Hotwire. Upon check in, we were given a double bed, when we asked the front desk person if by chance we could be given a king-size bed, it was done immediately and with a smile. If the Westin can do this, by far a much nicer property, why can't the dumpy and moldy Creekside Inn.

Even if they were giving away free rooms at the Creekside Inn and there wasn't another place for miles, I would rather sleep on a park bench than ever set foot at this place again and much less spend any of my money here. People don't need to be treated like trash and without grace. This Prabin guy at the "Bates Motel" AKA Creekside Inn can't even spell customer care and service. Thanks for listening. You've been warned!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BarrioTravelers
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Guest:
We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences that you encountered at the our hotel during your visit to our area. We will take your comments and use them in our ongoing training and role play scenarios to avoid any issues like this from taking place in the future. We value your feedback and hope that your final destination was a successful and happier occasion. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss your visit to the hotel.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Creekside Inn is an excellent place to stay for holiday or business. Well-located in Palo Alto, it has a great ambience that makes you feel you're in the woods . .. lots of green, the layout makes it seem private although it's on El Camino Real. There are decent places to eat nearby, and a convenience store on site. The rooms are excellent - very spacious and nice balcony - the amentities and toiletries have been given extra thought, so all in all, it makes for a fantastic stay. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Guest:
We are happy that you found the ambiance, spacious rooms and location of the Creekside Inn to be the perfect fit for your travels to Palo Alto. Thank you for your wonderful comments about our amenities and toiletries, we are glad that you enjoyed them.

We hope to welcome you back soon for another fantastic stay.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

After traveling around southern Oregon and northern California, this was one the best experiences of a 12 day vacation. The property is in the process of being updated and offers a real bargain if you stay on the weekend. We stayed in a tower room; it was quiet and we had a view of tree tops, roofs, and the distant mountains. The landscaping on the grounds for the creekside rooms is really colorful and well kept. The breakfast in the restaurant next door was very good especially if you stick to the egg items. Without a doubt, the best part of our stay was dealing with the staff. Day manager Stacy and her colleague Joshua were totally professional when dealing with a difficult guest. What the guest wanted was unreasonable but they stayed calm, repeating the hotel policy. The next day we were helped by Joshua and Prabin who also seemed eager to help with directions, information on going to visit Stanford and restaurants. The rooms are all being updated, the grounds are great, the prices are low on weekends, the staff are topnotch; the best place to stay in Palo Alto.

Room Tip: The tower rooms are very quiet; you'll pay more for the garden/creekside ones but they are very...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear bryantl,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about the Creekside Inn. I am glad that our associates delivered exceptional service during your stay and that you were happy with the renovations and upgrades that the hotel continues to undergo. I was also pleased to hear you enjoyed your breakfast at our onsite restaurant and that you appreciated the lush and charming landscape surrounding our hotel. We think the Creekside Inn is the best place to stay in Palo Alto as well!

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

At your service,

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed for one night in Palo Alto and the rates are not cheap. However, they do design the hotel surrounding well and it feels quiet and relaxed even while we are in a busy neighbourhood. There is free coffe and pastries in the morning and the rooms all have patios. The location is covenient and close to restaurants and Stanford. All in all , it is a nice motor inn and I will stay here again if needed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I'm not one to ever write comments anywhere but after my experience at the Creekside Inn the last few times, I had to set up an account to write a review. I've stayed there twice with my husband since we come to Stanford often and though at first the Inn looks like a motel, they have done their best to upkeep it. During both of my visits I was startled by the outstanding service I was given by the staff there. When making reservations, the staff was very polite and informative. When my husband and I checked in weeks later, I was so surprised to see that the young lady,Shimali, who made my reservation, remembered talking to us over the phone. She went above and beyond to accommodate us, and show us our room and even show us a couple different rooms later for future stays. She connected with us and never once did I feel like she was just making small talk to be polite when I would be at the front desk waiting for the shuttle/ getting their complimentary pastries. Even the housekeepers were very friendly, and always asking us how we were when we passed by them. When calling the front desk in the evening for extra towels/ shampoos the FD gentleman Derek sent someone right away and even called to make sure we got everything. The shuttle service drivers are also very friendly and accommodating. I honestly felt like the customer service out did even The Ritz.

Only thing I would say is, wish their creek wasn't dry...but I guess that's on Mother Nature

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here in October 2012. I stayed for a business trip and if you are looking for motel type accommodation then this is the place for you. Definitely no bells and whistles and would not rush to stay here again unless desperate but the location isn't too bad and the grounds are pretty. Rooms tired, dated but clean and restaurant didn't open on time for breakfast which was annoying but not the worst place I've ever stayed at. Very luke warm review and as others have said, very much akin to how I would imagine a motel to be (not that I've ever stayed in one). Breakfast was however the worst I've ever had. I picked porridge/oatmeal which took what felt like FOREVER to arrive and it was a watery gloop - I have no idea how anyone can mess up porridge, especially a chef but there you go. I had to stop off on the way to work to buy something different.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Undertheoaks
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review about your stay last October. I am pleased that you enjoyed our grounds and location and am happy to report that since your visit we have made many improvements throughout the property and continue to do so. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Palo Alto.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This section of El Camino Real has quite a few places to stay and they'd be described as being more like motels than hotels. By this I mean, you park more or less close to your room and access it directly from the outside. Larger rooms with sitting areas that have a couch, coffee table, balcony and television are available. The location is shady & open which was nice. Our room was cute, the beds though were squeaky and the room service was a surprise as we thought it above average for a regular or upscale (like this one) motel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family