“Surprising. Will always choose Creekside Inn”

Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Surprising. Will always choose Creekside Inn”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I'm not one to ever write comments anywhere but after my experience at the Creekside Inn the last few times, I had to set up an account to write a review. I've stayed there twice with my husband since we come to Stanford often and though at first the Inn looks like a motel, they have done their best to upkeep it. During both of my visits I was startled by the outstanding service I was given by the staff there. When making reservations, the staff was very polite and informative. When my husband and I checked in weeks later, I was so surprised to see that the young lady,Shimali, who made my reservation, remembered talking to us over the phone. She went above and beyond to accommodate us, and show us our room and even show us a couple different rooms later for future stays. She connected with us and never once did I feel like she was just making small talk to be polite when I would be at the front desk waiting for the shuttle/ getting their complimentary pastries. Even the housekeepers were very friendly, and always asking us how we were when we passed by them. When calling the front desk in the evening for extra towels/ shampoos the FD gentleman Derek sent someone right away and even called to make sure we got everything. The shuttle service drivers are also very friendly and accommodating. I honestly felt like the customer service out did even The Ritz.

Only thing I would say is, wish their creek wasn't dry...but I guess that's on Mother Nature

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here in October 2012. I stayed for a business trip and if you are looking for motel type accommodation then this is the place for you. Definitely no bells and whistles and would not rush to stay here again unless desperate but the location isn't too bad and the grounds are pretty. Rooms tired, dated but clean and restaurant didn't open on time for breakfast which was annoying but not the worst place I've ever stayed at. Very luke warm review and as others have said, very much akin to how I would imagine a motel to be (not that I've ever stayed in one). Breakfast was however the worst I've ever had. I picked porridge/oatmeal which took what felt like FOREVER to arrive and it was a watery gloop - I have no idea how anyone can mess up porridge, especially a chef but there you go. I had to stop off on the way to work to buy something different.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Undertheoaks
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review about your stay last October. I am pleased that you enjoyed our grounds and location and am happy to report that since your visit we have made many improvements throughout the property and continue to do so. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Palo Alto.

California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This section of El Camino Real has quite a few places to stay and they'd be described as being more like motels than hotels. By this I mean, you park more or less close to your room and access it directly from the outside. Larger rooms with sitting areas that have a couch, coffee table, balcony and television are available. The location is shady & open which was nice. Our room was cute, the beds though were squeaky and the room service was a surprise as we thought it above average for a regular or upscale (like this one) motel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge MA
Reviewed August 31, 2013

So, I get this at one of the last-minute site at an OK discount from the $329 price that was a little jaw-dropping, yes, but it's Palo Alto just when Stanford is starting up again and there aren't many rooms, so OK, it's better than the Comfort Inn I stayed in two weeks before in a roughly similar situation when there were no rooms.

Only it wasn't better. Back in the days, they had to build the motels on El Camino Real south of the Stanford property, and there were a lot of them, because even then, Stanford was a destination for people like Herbert Hoover. Some were quite pretty, even pleasant, like the old Rickey's. Some could have been lifted whole from any dusty desert town along Route 66 and plopped there.

This was one of the plops, fixed up to be "hip," but just about as hip as a music-sharing startup whose staff is all over 50. So there's a creekbed through the middle and a certain amount of paint on the outside. And on the inside? Well, it had been fixed up since the fifties, I admit it. It wasn't exactly a dump. But it wasn't exactly not a dump either. My test is the grout in the shower--that's right, shower, no bath at over $300 a night. If it's all the same color, then it's probably OK. And if it's not, then... Well, this one failed the test.

The other test I have for over-$300 hotel rooms is the plugs. I want some. That work. Outside the bathroom. Tough, I know. Back in 1985, you usually had to unplug the TV set to get your laptop plugged in. But this is a little bit later than 1985, I think. So there were some plugs that were supposed to be used by people. But the plugs in the laps seemed to have been put there by Microsoft, because the Apple plugs didn't fit in them. And the ones on the wall, well, when you plug in to them, the plug falls out again.

For $300. Criminy, I could have called my electrician and had him come over and paid him and then paid the motel what I thought it was worth and still had $50 left over.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Creekside Inn. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations as we are constantly updating our facilities, from the landscaping to the rooms. I will be following up on your feedback with our staff to try to improve upon the guest experience and try to avoid any future issues of this kind. Again thank you for your candid feedback and hope that you had a successful visit to Palo Alto.

Wyncote, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I had stayed here pretty much very other week (I commute from Philadelphia) for two years. It had been good, but the rooms were average and I never felt valued even with stays there tide a month. So I moved on to the Stanford Terrace Inn, which met my needs for awhile but became overpriced and a bit strange in some ways. So I took another look at Creekside.

And I'm very glad I did. The management clearly recognizes repeat customers and also values new ones. I was made to feel welcome, and had a room that couldn't be beat. It was quiet, spacious and had much faster wifi speeds than the Stanford Terrace Inn. It's a ten-minute walk to California Avenue, and there is an onsite restaurant that will give free wine to Creekside guests.

I'm already booked here in three weeks and am looking forward to it. Glad to be back.

Room Tip: From a few years ago, I was less enamored with rooms in the D unit but most rooms are good regardles...
Green Features: A lot of green practices; the soap is missing the center portion as that is usually wasted. My only gripe was the lack of recycling bins in the room. At least I didn't find any.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are so happy to read that we were able to be your home away from during your recent visit to the Palo Alto area. I am glad that you feel welcome at our hotel and that you enjoyed the room and the fast internet service offered complimentary in all our rooms. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again in 3 weeks!
Kind Regards,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Good location, ample parking. My only complaint is the cost for what you get. Paying roughly $300 for one night didn't make sense once we saw the amenities. I will say, however, the front desk staff was very nice, friendly and helpful. Overall, a good place to stay but overpriced. Oh, go to Indo across the street for dinner/happy hour!!!

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We came to Palo Alto for our son's Part 2 of his wedding. (First Part in London the week before). Stayed here for 6 nights and it was everything we needed. Attached was Cibo Diner which was lovely but they couldn't quite understand that we liked real good strong coffee! By the 5th breakfast we got it! So nice for me too, to have an iron and ironing board in the room, plus on site there was a Laundry. As we were travelling for another 10 days it was a Godsend.

Room Tip: We overlooked the garden so that was just fine. It is an ideal place to stay for a touring holiday
Green Features: It should be adopted World Wide and the towels weren't changed everyday as in some hotels where they ask you to put them on the floor and STILL change them.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple