“Duped”

Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 30, 2012

After looking at the photos that the hotel sells itself on I feel the photographer should be commended. The grounds and buildings are no way near as luxurious as it claims. The rooms themselves were spacious and clean but I must comment in how dark they are. Breakfast is a half hearted attempted and not worth the effort to get up.

Having travelled along the west coast for a month and stayed in other 3* hotels along the way I feel this was slightly disappointing. Although only minutes away from Stanford and 2.5 miles from the shopping centre the area doesn't really have much to offer.

• Stayed: July 2012
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Valued Guest;

Although we are disappointed that we did not live up to your expectations, we do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay. The layout of our boutique style hotel, nestled within a park like setting of over 3.5 acres of landscaped grounds does not appeal to everyone but our natural wooded creek setting is the enticing reason many of our guests choose to stay with us. Additionally, we are steadfast in our attempt to do our part in conserving the planet and the eco approved bulbs used throughout the hotel do take a few moments to warm to full brightness, hence the reason for the initial seemingly dim lighted rooms.

We sincerely hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Creekside Inn.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,

Reviewed July 28, 2012

I traveled to Palo Alto on business and stayed at the Creekside for a few days and what a treat. The hotel was located close enough to everything I needed and ended up making a business trip into sort of a vacation. Even though I was at a conference for ten hours a day, coming back to this hotel every night was something to look forward to. Definitely not your typical hotel by any means.

The property is broken up into several types of buildings all mixed in with tons of trees, plants, water features and gardens so it makes for an interesting experience just walking around. It felt so relaxing and peaceful everywhere I went. The room was fantastic, I ended up on the third floor and had a balcony in the front overlooking a big area, including a stream and bridge. There was wildlife all over and the sunrise and sunsets were sort of amazing.

The hotel is not new at all and I was completely impressed by how well everything was maintained and kept up on. My room had an amazing retro feel to it with lots of light coming in from both sides. It was clean, beds were really comfortable and the pillows were great as well.

There is a great restaurant on site and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and a full bar to hang out in. Also a connivence store on site with liquor was nice. The front desk employees were super nice and helpful for the entire stay. I noticed the property also had electric car hookups and plenty of parking. I will stay here again for sure. Its not a newer property but its got a certain magic that you just can't find very often.

Room Tip: I stayed in the north most building and it was fantastic. Nice and quiet for sure.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I recently stayed a month at the Creekside Inn. I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly the staff was during our entire stay. Lindo Perez, the Assistant General Manager, was especially kind and professional. In fact, all of the staff at the front desk were fabulous. Prabin was the first staff member we dealt with and he provided wonderful service that set the tone for the rest of our stay.

The Room: Was clean, quiet, and roomy. We had a corner unit with a separate sitting area. Our first floor guest room opened up to a nice patio area where we could sit and watch the squirrels and the serene little creek.

The Restaurant: Wow! I loved this restaurant! The staff was accommodating to my son's special diet, and the food was always presented in a timely manner and was delicious every single time. I can't tell you how refreshing that was. Normally restaurants disappoint me after dining there a few times. Cibo's never did.

The Driftwood Market: This too, was a great place to get foodstuffs and great sandwiches. This hotel may be on the pricy side, but it was unique and it left us missing the beautiful grounds and great people.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper levels, since this hotel has a lot of wood that creaks. It is a charming...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tam O
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you so much for taking the time to express your appreciation of our hotel as well as our wonderful staff and service! Your kind and generous comments have certainly made our day. We hope your travels bring you back soon, as we would be especially delighted to welcome you again!

Kind regards and safe travels,

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I had the opportunity to stayed at this hotel while attending a Forum at Stanford University, in last April. Definitely a great experience; well located, peaceful, very green... The rooms (the whole group of the forum booked more than 20 rooms) were all comfortable, large... the view from the balcony was very nice, though giving me the opportunity to enjoy mornings and evenings... a relaxing after whole day conferences.

The service offered by the managers, staff at the front desk, were just perfect, especially the one given by Mr. Prabin Thapa, who helped a lot all the students throughout the week, and more important during the departure day, though the students we had different schedules, flight itineraries, ... and we were very nervous about our transportation to different locations, mainly to the airport, Mr. Thapa got to calm people down advising us how to book the shuttles, making jokes, and having great talks. Ah! the housekeepers always smiling, but from the bottom of their heart... and always ready to help too.

Even if I am a smoker, I can tell that the place is great for those who hate smoke-smell all around the location, or in the rooms (I hate the smell in hotels rooms too). There are designated areas for smoking.

The restaurant/bar was very nice too, offering good food and drinks, and the staff there was also very attentive.

I definitely recommend the place. If I can ever complaint about something, is the fact that they do not provide water bottles, after the first complementary ones are gone... anyways, there is a convenience store right in the same location, and also just across the street there is another one where actually the clerk was very nice too.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Excellent experience. The Manager went out of her way and smoothed over a difficult booking via Hotels.com. My room was large, quiet and comfortable with a pretty view of the creek from my private terrace. It was surprising how quiet it was, because it is located on the El Camino Real - a busy street. A restaurant (Cibo) and a small convienience store are also located on the property. My bed was very, very comfortable. Thank you Prabin and the entire staff at the Creekside Inn!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back along the creek are very quiet and offer little terraces with a patio table and ch...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed here four nights for a family trip and enjoyed our stay. Two adults and two young boys (ages 8 and 4 at the time of the trip). The room was small, but fine, since most of our trip was spent out and about. The bathroom was small, but clean, and fine. The grounds are very pretty, landscaped very nicely, parking is easy, the hotel is close to Whole Foods, and to several other shopping areas. It's easy to get to freeways from the hotel. Our room was quiet at night. Our two young sons had a lot of fun playing in the pool.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is an old property but kept clean.

Rooms have large beds but have small showers.

The internet (free) is very slow there and my phone reception was very bad, I had problems making business calls.

The location of the hotel isn't perfect either but if you have a car there is a free parking so you can quickly drive to any place you need.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Creekside Inn!

While we are very different than some of our brand competitors, our charming boutique style hotel borders on historical landmark status with over fifty years in the Palo Alto community and we take pride in keeping the property fresh. We have recently upgraded our Deluxe Creek King rooms with new furnishings, bathroom fixtures and overall décor. Additionally, we have installed more bandwidth to accommodate multiple internet devices.

Although there are many restaurants within walking distance, perhaps you were not able to take advantage of our most popular value packed amenity during your visit; however, our complimentary shuttle service will gladly transport guests anywhere within a five mile radius of the hotel.

We certainly appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back soon as there is always something new to discover at the Creekside Inn!

Kind regards and safe travels,