“Good breakfast; rate much expensive for my shabby room”
Review of Cowper Inn

Cowper Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Palo Alto B&B and Inns
Novato
“Good breakfast; rate much expensive for my shabby room”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The inn has two houses. I can't comment on the main house. My room was in the Victorian next door. That house is badly in need of upgrades and repairs. It smells musty. The walls and floors seem to be paper thin - you will hear every sound your neighbors make - next door and above. When they shower at 6 a.m., sounds like you're standing under Niagra Falls. The window locks in my room were all broken. I did not feel comfortable staying in a room that could not be secured. I found the place shabby, and not in a good way. The bed, however, we very comfortable with lovely, soft sheets. The breakfast was very good. All in all, I'd not return.

Room Tip: I'd try the main house, and a second floor room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank novatohunter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Connecticut
Reviewed November 22, 2010

This was my second visit to the Cowper Inn, a lovely B&B. The location is great and the staff are very helpful without being intrusive. I looked forward to the breakfast each morning-organic choices, fresh squeezed OJ, Peet's coffee, homemade granola, and fresh scrambled eggs were some of the offerings. The Inn also offers free internet. Lovely sitting area with a fireplace. Room was nice and well-maintained.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank travel_pkl
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 27, 2010

The Cowper Inn is a charming B&B centrally located in Palo Alto, within walking distance to shops and restaurants in town. The breakfast was wonderful - freshly squeezed orange juice, homemade granola, organic yogurt, breads, eggs, etc. The rooms (the one I stayed in as well as the ones my siblings stayed in) were very clean. The bathrooms provide Aveda personal care items (shampoo, lotion). The breakfast/sitting area is also very cozy, and with the large windows, you get really nice sunshine in the morning. The value is quite typical for B&B's. My stay was very relaxing!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Yogini79
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I cannot imagine a better place to stay in Palo Alto than the Cowper Inn. This is a charming and comfortable home away from home. I opened my windows that look out on a huge redwood, and had a soft breeze wafting through my room each night. The staff is always warm and helpful, but also do not intrude in your space like some B and Bs. It is located perfectly so you can walk everywhere in town. It is a hidden jewel in this town of expensive and charmless hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank val1323
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed in a room in the basement for almost $200/night. Many features didn't work or worked poorly. It gave me the impression of having been "fixed up" by somebody who didn't know or care what they were doing. Nobody was there when we got there. We never met or talked to anybody except a polite youngster who was not knowledgeable. The curtains didn't work, the shower barely had the power to get you wet. the bath fan worked but was so plugged with dirt that it was totally ineffective. The room was so narrow that with the head of the bed against one wall the suitcase wouldn't fit between the foot of the bed and the far wall. It had to be carried over the bed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dstone2972
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I spent 3 and a half weeks at the Cowper Inn while looking for an apartment after moving to Palo Alto. It's set in two very old (by US standards) houses very close to downtown. The rooms are quite quaint with antique furniture throughout. Despite being quite old, it's very well preserved and the staff keep it very clean.

The breakfasts were lovely, including home-made muesli and granola, fruit salad and at least one (I think organic) egg option per day. There's not the same choice that you'd see at a big hotel but the quality was very good. The owner and staff are very friendly and still say hi to me when I bump into them walking round the town.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank fasaxc
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We were in the middle of relocating to Palo Alto from Texas and stayed in a cheap motel to cut costs while looking for an apartment. We came to this B&B when we couldn't stand the cheap motel anymore!
We gave the manager a difficult time: we didn't book in advance and we brought 2 small children with us (she wasn't told about our children when the booking was made). She handled that graciously and we had a fabulous stay. All the cleaning staff that I ever met were very friendly and helpful, and said my kids were precious. The breakfast was delicious: organic yogurt, fresh fruit, homemade granola, eggs, bread and bagels, fresh-squeezed orange juice, etc.
The first review that mentioned dirty rooms and weak breakfast must have been talking about a different place!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Cowper Inn? Share your experiences!