“Should have had a v-8”

Gott's Roadside
Ranked #53 of 365 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Gott's Roadside is a different kind of burger joint. We serve juicy cheeseburgers with thick chocolate shakes, but our versions of these American classics are made-to-order from top-notch, locally sourced ingredients. Our menu goes beyond the beef to include a renowned Ahi tuna burger, fresh salads and tacos. Try finding those at your average drive-in. Our commitment to local sourcing also extends to the glass: our list of California wines and beers means you can order a cheeseburger with a high-end Napa Valley cabernet, or sip a San Francisco-brewed Anchor Steam alongside your spicy, sweet potato fries.
Reviewed December 5, 2013

When we drove by this restaurant the sign and atmosphere seemed fun. So, when we made our way down to the mall, we decided to give it a try, although most of the college kids seemed to be eating at another hamburger restaurant situated near it.

The restaurant is large and appears clean. However, service is lacking. First, although I enjoyed the idea that the menu offered vegetables in place of fries, when I went to the counter to order, the young lady behind the counter had absolutely no clue as to the menu. I had to repeat my order several times and when I ordered the children's meals, she kept pushing fries and I said no, we will have the vegetables. I really am not sure why she was so confused as I actually pointed out the sign to her.

For the high price, I expected a very tasty burger but I must say the burger was average and nothing special. I was annoyed that fries were on the side and they again were ok, a little salty. The chicken sandwich was not seasoned and rather bland. Portion size is merely average.

Overall, unfortunately, I cannot recommend this location as the food was average but pricey and the service at the counter was not adequate.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Well, the service was friendly. The good experience pretty much stopped there. The burgers were average, and the worst part of it was, they were just barely warm. The buns were downright cold, so when the meat is placed on them, it cools very quickly. The fries were okay. The onion rings were very good, and one of my party had chicken tenders which looked great and which, I was told, were in fact really good. The iced tea tasted like plastic. I would not go back here.

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Having lunched at the Gotts in Napa many times and been very pleased with the high quality food, I was excited to hear of one going in locally to me in Palo Alto. Based on my rave reviews I went with 4 of my colleagues for lunch. We were all disappointed and won't be back. Their highly rated ahi burger that I always get was barely seared, and was basically a burger sized slab of raw fish. The usually tasty slaw was not memorable. The bun felt stale. My colleagues got that as well as beef burgers - all alarmingly undercooked after a long wait. The sweet potato fries were terrific, the regular fries just ok. I'm very disappointed and it will be a long time before my colleagues trust my recommendation again! Also seemed pricier than Napa - but maybe this time it just felt pricier given the poor quality. Sorry!

1  Thank chuckbtravelin
Reviewed October 14, 2013

So I've avoided going to the new Gott's in Palo Alto for the first few daysafter it opened to give them a chance to catch their breath...

The restaurant had a line out the door at 5:45 Saturday afternoon and after my experience there I can tell you that the line won't be there in a few weeks unless they get it together.

The restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating but it is self service so fend for yourself when finding a table, ordering your food at a counter, and when picking it up when your restaurant issued pager alerts you that your food is ready. (a la fast food)

The menu is limited and although this is a high rent district, the prices are on the high side. $8 for a basic cheeseburger plus $3 for fries, all served in paper with no service or anything that provides any added value.

What was most unbelievable is the inability of the kichen to prepare hot food in an effecient manner. With a line persisting, the food took over 15 minutes to prepare as more customers were queing. There were 12 people working the different stations in the kitchen and even though the line was in sight of the (open kitchen) staff, there was no anticipation of the fact that probably 70% of the people order a burger and that they could prepare by filling the charbroiler with more product which would prevent such a wait and generate more revenue.

Although it would be fairly easy to "fix" the problem, what I could not understand was the fact that when we picked our food up, the burgers were not hot, so obvious that they had been slowed somewhere during production and the oversized bun fully dressed did not help retain any heat. The slightly pink preparation which the menu suggests was far from an accurate description because over cooked is what comes to mind when I try to describe the burgers.

They have some real problems here, as the atmospherre is lacking, doors held wide open and the restaurant was cold inside, no service, poorly prepared food and low on the value scale will not be a recipe for success.

There are too many other places even some right next door like Mayfields that provide a better experience...different but much better. If you want a better paper wrapped burger, go to In-and-Out because at least their food is hot.

We paid $43 for three burgers two fries and three small drinks.

In a world that is concerned with the envioronment this place doesn't play by the rules that should govern a concerned society as it was actually humerous that the inexpensive brown napkins that should make their way to compost are consumed by the patrons at such a rate that it would be better to offer a single napkin that is more substantial that acutally works and to provide something other than a "trash" receptical for all of the paper that they use. The humerous part is that we occupied ourselves by counting the patron to napkin count and on average the customers werre taking 7 napkins per person form the dispenser located by the condiment counter. The plastic cups should also be reconsidered because with the exception of wine, every beverage is served in plastic.

Sorry Gott's but unless you get it right, this town won't support you after the initial trial period is over.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

$14.18 for a basic cheeseburger, fries and a small lemonade. Burger was tasty with Nieman Ranch grass fed beef, fries were a very small portion and the lemonade was standard issue.
I live in Menlo Park and expect inflated prices for food in the area, but Gott's is setting the high end of the range for what is basically a burger joint. High quality - yes. Organic and relatively healthy - yes. Burgers and fries - yes. I don't eat factory farm fast food and do crave a burger every once in a while, so I expect I will be back.