“Disgusting! Should be shut down.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Stanford Motor Inn

Stanford Motor Inn
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Fallbrook, California
“Disgusting! Should be shut down.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

If I had arrived earlier, I would have left and found another place to stay. Pure filth.

I usually stay at a local Marriott while doing business at Stanford, but they were booked solid.

This motel should be condemmed. I am a world traveler and I haven't seen a place like this in many years.

The carpet is so filthy I will not walk on it without my shoes on. Not only is it deeply stained, it has food crumbs and dirt easily visible. The carpet around and behind the furniture is so filthy it isn't the same color anymore. There are other items behind the furniture I don't want to mention. I cannot believe how disgusting this place is.

The room doesn't appear to have ever been dusted. The top of the window box air conditioner is black with dust - same with the curtains - black dust. You get the picture - it is beyond filthy.

They offer a free breakfast which is a dollar store type plastic covered danish and a juice box kept in in mini fridge in the room which was dirty and was spilling water onto the carpet. The microwave atop the fridge is also dirty.

The beds are squeaky, old and the comforters are from decades ago. I stripped the comforters off so that I could put my LUGGAGE on the bed. One of the "decorative" pillows was torn with the filling coming out.

This place may be OK for the younger generation, but for a 40-something business traveler, this is a nightmare. I will be recommending this hotel be taken off of our corporate travel website as an option.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I thought the decorations were cute/quaint and the staff friendly and helpful, but the motel is pretty bare bones and run-down. The room I was in had a broken tile in the kitchen area and tears in the duvet covers and throw pillows on the beds. The towels are small and super thin. The provided breakfast is pastries kept in the room fridge and juice boxes/coffee maker. There is free wifi, but at least in the room I was staying I kept losing the connection.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Paris
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel is located close to Downtown PA on El Camino. Basically it is a good price for service you get: Rooms are clean but really old fashion, there is no minibar, no breakfast. Still you have a fridge a coffee maker and a microwave. I would recommand this hotel for short stay (couple of nights) but it may be to simple for longer period.
People working there are friendly.
So basic hotel for basic price in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 120 to 129 they are not facing the road so they are less noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Erastel
Stateline, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We went to see a very ill friend at the VA hospital in Palo Alto so the trip was not one we wanted to have to make. Our reservation was done from the hospital and we chose this hotel because of the price and TripAdvisor ratings. I say, THANK YOU to all of you who have taken the time to post honestly. The room was perfect for what we needed. The doilies made it more comfortable, the manager was very friendly, the room presentation was clean and fresh and "very pleasant". There are many choices of motels in Palo Alto and they are all next to each other...I don't think you can go wrong if you select this one. Breakfast was a danish already in our room in the little fridge and there was a micro to heat it...who needs those crowded kitchens anyway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mill Creek, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Upon driving into the charming upscale town of Palo Alto, the Motor Inn was easy to find. The location was convenient for what we came for - a tour of Stanford. The Motor Inn transported me back to the time when you pulled over for the night after a long day of driving. Very kitchy, from the plastic plants, water fountain and doilies. However the price was what I wanted to spend for a night traveling through and the parking was free. The pool was closed, and the outside was access was a tad noisy early in the morning. For the area, I would say, "I got what I paid for".

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Christaadventures
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

The most run-down motel I've ever stayed at. The dingy green carpet has to be original from the 1970's and the bed covers are equally old. I can't understand the excellent ratings on tripadvisor. Really? All experiences surely are relative. At $140 for a double, it wasn't exactly cheap and it definitely should have been better.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank EatSleepExplore

Travelers are raving about these Palo Alto hotels

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed here for one week while I underwent health procedures at a nearby facility. The owners were amazing! From the day I called to make my reservations a few weeks before my stay to the day I left, everything was great. They even offer a reduced rate (which you can ask for) if you let them know you are staying there while receiving medical care at a nearby facility. While it is not luxurious, it met all of my needs: clean, safe, quiet, convenient, great price, kitchen with basic dishes, utensils (I did bring my own dish soap and sponge as well as any other items I really wanted), dorm-room size fridge, coffee maker, double pane windows, which makes a huge difference in terms of noise, and all the other basics. I really enjoyed sitting out by the pool under the trees to read each morning and some afternoons - it was sunny and the weather was great (even in February - it is Palo Alto after all). The towels are not plush but that did not bother me - just noting it here so others are aware of this. You can walk to some good restaurants (Straits is around the corner as are Equinox health club and Frye's electronics and several mom and pop convenience stores. If you like to walk (which I do) you can take the side streets off of El Camino to California Avenue and have access to lots of restaurants, coffee shops, Molly Stonse and other organic stores, book/camera stores, etc. I highly recommend this place when you need a well-priced place for a few days to a week or so. I have to stress that the customer service, maid service and overall vibe was simply the best!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor perpendicular to El Camino - less street noise. Also, my room di...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo