“Good seafood”

Ranked #9 of 374 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our first restaurant has been a Palo Alto institution since its doors opened in 1976. With the brand new addition of an oyster bar, cocktail bar and lounge area, there are now even more ways to experience this unique restaurant. The expansive retail market remains a popular stop for local residents seeking to take home the finest in fresh fish.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Thie place can get really crowded, fast, and the parking lot tight and usually full. It's best to eat early. The seafood is good, the menu tells you what's fresh, and you can pick two sides with each dish. There's a pretty good wine list, lots of french bread and also a fish market, in case you want to take it home and cook it. One of the few restaurants to still have box matches with the logo on it in a bowl. We like to sit "outside" in the totally-enclosed patio section. Not as noisy.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Visiting Palo Alto from Minnesota, took my brother to the Fish Market for early lunch (11:30 AM) at the Fish Market on Saturday. Only 4-5 tables were occupied and serviced by different wait staff. Our waiter (Ismael) promptly took our order and that is when the problem began. He started talking to his chubby waiter friend and stopped paying attention to us. Seemed like forever to get our meal. Had to raise my voice to get his attention to get more bread. Had to do the same in order to get our drinks refilled. Host and hostess were less than 20 feet away and didn't seem to pay any attention to the two waiters busy talking to one another instead of serving their customers. Our calamari and side dishes were well prepared and tasty. Lousy service detracted from the overall meal.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'm not sure why this place gets such rave reviews. It was good, but not great. I noticed a lot of very old people eating here, I wonder if it was better in days gone past? My tuna was tough. I'm not sure what that was about as it was done medium. The cherry tomatoes and basil were good and the roasted veggies were okay. We liked the chocolate covered strawberries. My husband said he gave his fish a B. The crab cakes were good.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Very informal atmosphere with pretty standard fare. The roasted vegetables were very good as were the fries. The linguini with shrimp were just smothered in garlic butter, and then more garlic. The dishes are very large and really much too much to eat for those coming from Europe!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Coming from a long-locked state, I tend to look for great fish restaurants in places near water! Fish Market is just the place (both this one and the one in San Diego). Haven't been back in a while, so I was looking forward to it. We brought friends (also from Colorado) and had four different dinners, each spectacular. It's great to know that if it wasn't delivered that morning, it's not on the menu! Big portions, both of the fish and sides, and GREAT sourdough bread.