“Great food for great value”
Review of Osteria

Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 364 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Osteria was recommended to us by our hotel, during a business trip in Palo Alto. Having just spent the day traveling, my colleague and I were famished and ready for something hearty.

Arriving at Osteria, we were seated right away. Our server was a lovely, warm woman that made me think of a nona. We ordered the carpaccio - which was fantastic. We each had a pasta for our main - my colleague opted for the special pasta and I had the angel hair with a tomato base. The serving sizes were big - a good thing for us... did I mention how hungry we were? I did find my angel hair to be a touch overcooked, but still good.

We'd go again next time we're in town. Service was fantastic and value for the food and what you get is very good.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Excellent scallops, efficient and professional service, and fair prices. Nice area to just walk around and enjoy before and after the meal. Have only been here once but would go back again!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Leaving Palo Alto on a rainy mid-day, we drove past a restaurant with tables and white tablecloths visible through the windows. We parked and went in just as the main lunch sitting was beginning to leave. Seated almost immediately, we split the zuppa di minestrone and the thin spinach pasta with shrimp, garlic and cream. With a nice glass of red wine it was the perfect lunch. Good location, good atmosphere, good service and good food. What's not to like?

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My in-laws take us here for dinner every time we visit them in Palo Alto and so, now I feel I've been here enough times to be able to write a fair review that's not based on a one shot deal experience. My in-laws love it simply because of familiarity. For me, without the sentimental bias, I really think this is just a mediocre restaurant. It's cramped, the tables are small and too close together. Because of the small space, this is a loud place and conversations travel easily. So, watch what you say! Anyway, based on all the different dishes I've had here, I can only describe the quality as consistently un-exciting. The quality and flavor of the dishes always seem to swing either towards unexciting or overwhelming. The presentation is uninspired not even in that easy way Italians simply settle pasta into a plate. The service almost makes up for all the shortcomings of the food. They are genuinely friendly and accommodating. Value for the $$ is right if you're judging it simply for volume of food and quality of service but not as a truly aesthetic dining experience. In the end, I always depart from this restaurant with my stomach full but my soul empty.

1  Thank x2fr
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have eaten here many times over the past years and have always enjoyed the food and wine. The service is high quality and the food is authentic.