“So Glad to be back”

Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Sometimes when you go on vacation and find a place you love when you revisit it is just not the same. Not true here. We were lucky enough to dine two nights at St. Mikes as the locals call it and one was better than the other if that is even possible. --we were staying at the Sheraton and could walk over to the restaurant so we did not have to worry about parking. The first night we had Rigels cheese plate and since he was our waiter it only seemed appropriate. It was excellent. Just enough to taste 3 wonderful cheeses, each with a different texture and flavor. Crackers were served with it but we preferred the wonderful bread. For entrees my husband choose the center cut niman ranch pork chop. It was large, and perfectly cooked. The braised purple cabbage was a wonderful side dish. I had the smoked chicken and pasta with spinach, asparagus and feta cheese. It was a special for the night and delicious. The third in our party choose the curried pappardelle pasta which had clams, rock shrimp, smoked chicken and a white wine light sauce. I never did get to try any because it was completely gone. Since we enjoyed ourselves so much we returned at the end of our CA visit. We ordered a caesar salad, and an organic baby greens salad to start. Both were fresh, crisp, cold and the green salad had a warm encrusted goat cheese on top. Perfect start to another great meal. My husband said his favorite meal of the vacation was the Duck Confit . He could not say enough about the meal. I opted for the Ranch NY Steak . Every bite was heaven. I love St. Michael's, the people who work there, the ambiance, it is as I have said before warm and inviting and continues to be one of my favorites.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Wonderful food, great service. We loved the menu and each one of our dishes, and thought the prices were very reasonable.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner with busines colleagues and clients. The wait staff were excellent. The ambiance was convivial. The wine selections by the somellier were a touch pricey but very good. The food too was good - pushing very good - but yet I still felt like it coulda/shoulda been better.

There were 12 of us on a cold Tuesday night and St. Mike's laid on a pre-selection of starters comprising bruschetta, cheese selections, wontons and some blinis. These were nice but very "corporate cocktail function."

I then had the mushroom cake starter. This was beautufully described on the menu as:
WILD MUSHROOM CAKE
(PAN FRIED, CREAMY GARLIC HERB SAUCE, GARNISHED WITH CRISPY LEEKS)
Nice but dry. Needed much more sauce and less breadcrumbing (but for just $6 a pop, my criticism is a little harsh here!).

I then had PUMPKIN RAVIOLI, SMOKED BACON BROWN BUTTER SAUCE
(CARAMELIZED ONIONS, GREEN KALE, CRUMBLED GORGONZOLA). This was lovely. Very subtle and tasty. Again, could have used more sauce and more gorgonzola.

There were other more meaty options and I heard good things about the scallops, the steak and the day's special which was meatloaf.

Overall, I enjoyed the night, I enjoyed the company and I enjoyed the food. I fear I may be spoiled as I was simply left wanting more "wow" about the food.

1  Thank BermudaPool
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I visited this establishment off of a recommendation from a friend. He told me of their ranging menu and I decided to keep it simple and have a steak cooked medium well. The wait was short and to my surprise the steak was impressive. I finished in just under an hour and it was worth every second.

1  Thank Nino Z
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We had a nice dinner here, but i really wanted to like it more than we did. location is nice in that it's off the main streets of palo alto, so a bit more quiet and charming. the menu was interesting and appealing. however the dining room was too loud and so we wish we had sat outside. the food was average to good. tomato starter was better than the fish entree. the wine by the glass list was interesting in that it specialized in local wines, unfortunately the local wines are not that good...they'd be better served by broadening their "local" definition to include sonoma and napa. we'd probably go back, but not in a big hurry to do so.

2  Thank Minibarmuncher