“A Hidden Treasure”

Ranked #89 of 357 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Sunnyvale, California, United States
“A Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I had the pleasure of joining a friend for lunch this past Sunday. I let her pick the restaurant since I'm not all that familiar with the choice of restaurants in the Mt. View and Palo Alto areas. After mentioning of a couple of choices, we settled on Green Elephant Gourmet because I had never been there and she had been there once and had a good experience.

The restaurant is located in a shopping center and sits next to what seems to be a very popular ice cream shop (will have to go there sometime soon as well).

When we walked in we were immediately greeted by a welcoming hostess who seated us promptly. The atmosphere and decor in the restaurant were simple, yet lovely. There were booths on the outer walls and tables in the center. Quiet music was playing in the background just loud enough to hear it, but not so it was annoying. I have to say, the ambiance was quite nice and would be wonderful for a group luncheon or dinner out.

After being seated, we were attended to immediately with water and menus. We took a few minutes to decide, but chose to order two different versions of the same dish (the Eggplant Chicken) to share and compare notes. My friend ordered the Eggplant Chicken with Basil Sauce and I ordered the Eggplant Chicken with Chili Sauce. We both had brown rice sides.

Our food arrived quickly and was beautifully presented (even garnished with a beautiful flower on each plate). The portions were generous. The dishes were hot and delicious with just the right amount of sauce. We both enjoyed each of the dishes, but ended up liking what we had ordered the most.

We probably sat and talked for another hour after dining with no interruption or request for us to depart. When we finally noticed our bill on the table and that the employees were prepping for dinner, we paid our bill and left. As we were leaving, the owner stopped us and asked us how everything was.

Overall, this was a great experience. I will definitely be back again for lunch and perhaps at some point for dinner. I enjoyed my leftovers for lunch the next day and they were just as good as I remembered. I should mention that my 4 rating (instead of 5) is due to the fact that the prices were a bit higher than I would have expected for a chicken dish ($12.95), especially for lunch. But, I don't do this often...so, it was fine.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Kimberly C

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Lost a gluten free customer on the phone”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I saw this place has some gluten free options, so I called to ask about cross contamination (I have Celiac Disease). I asked to speak to the manager and first the person asked “why,” and then said she was the manager. Then when I asked about preparation protocols for gluten free requests, she said “why are you asking.” I had already explained my severe allergy, but I explained it again and asked if they use separate pots and pans, etc. for the gf items. She said “I sautee it!! Why are you asking?” with a rude tone. Needless to say, I will not be going there and I do not recommend it to any Celiacs.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank GoSeeGlutenFree
San Francisco
“Surprising elegance”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The Green Elephant is tucked away in a mini-mall in a quiet suburb. It looks like any other store-front establishment with a Subway food place nearby. But once you step inside, get ready for some elegance.

We went there for the Burmese food, a cuisine we don't know well, but a friend highly recommended it. The owner-chefs are Chinese and Burmese, so there is a large Chinese menu as well that we didn't try.

The meal begins nicely in this small restaurant with an attractively robed waitress and a clean and ample menu. We chose all Burmese from appetizer to salad to main dishes. We had our choice of tea and it arrived in an elegant beautiful porcelain teapot and with tea cups that were not chipped. Delicious and special. The entire meal was dish after dish, attractively served on elegant china, and eaten with fork and knife.

The service was impeccable; always polite and solicitous, and just frequent enough to be helpful (the teapot was replenished without asking). The restaurant is quiet with just the hum and conversation of happy diners.

Our appetizer was the most disappointing: a delicious dipping sauce of coconut curry, but only four thin, greasy pancakes that were soon gone leaving lots of sauce. The salad was wonderful with fresh greens, mango, and other tropical fruits and sliced nuts, tossed at our table. The main dishes were prawns and eggplant and basil (a new combination for us); fruity nutty chicken which tasted better than it might sound and heavy on cashews and mango; and chicken in a green curry sauce which was also delicious. A fine meal and we will return, even though it is out of the way.

We had early reservations before 6:00 and it was a good thing we did since the place filled up and remained full throughout the evening.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank OmarKhayyam
Palo Alto
“Best Chinese Food”
Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Without a doubt this was the BEST EVER of any Asian food I have ever eaten. The service and preparation was second to none. I highly recommend this restaurant to all my friends and family. Excellent.

Visited November 2013
Lincoln, CA
“Best Asian cuisine in Palo Alto”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a small family run restaurant. They have Asian dishes from Japan, China, Thailand, Singapore, etc. Every dish I have tried here has been outstanding. If you like asian food, this definitely the place to come for dinner. Service is outstanding, the decor very nicely done, and they use real china for the dishes.

Visited August 2013