“Big wallet small appetite required”

The Sea by Alexander
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sea by Alexander is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 362 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Dinah's Court
Description: The Sea by Alexander’s Steakhouse is the Bay Area’s premier seafood dining destination. Prepared with modern technique and flair, the restaurant distinguishes itself by focusing on rich scrumptious morsels from the sea. Chef Yu Min Lin bless contemporary cuisine with Japanese sensibility and ingredients to transform The Sea’s menu into the extraordinary.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Food was ok for what we got. I got wild salmon and wife got seared tuna. We ordered garlic mushrooms but they never came. We were in California 6 days and that was the most disappointing meal we had. We were shocked when the bill came. With tip $162. I could have charted a boa and caught my own for that price. The cotton candy at the end was good though

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Food very tasty, service almost overly attentive, portions on the, uh, micro scale. 2 pieces of fish (weighing in at about 3 oz. or so) 1 small salad, 1 wine, 1 sweet cocktail -- all for a mere $162! You might suggest this place if Mitt Romney ever invites you to dinner. But given the large number of empty tables, hope that he does so soon.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

It is inconceivable that this place will survive unless the people who are unable to recognize value keep coming here. After a pompous welcoming speech (we are not 3 years old), we inquired about a fish dish we might want that was only listed on the prixe fixe menu. "I'll discuss it with the chef"....ah, a major issue...the answer: $30 for a 3 oz portion of black cod. What???? Dinner proceeded with the tiny, overpriced starters without further incident. The main courses were another story. Our grandson, 11, and his father ordered steaks (one was over $70) medium: they came rare and went back for proper cooking. The fries were dry and thin...not worth the calories. The fish dishes were prepared properly..but had no flavor and, again, were quite small. The bread might have been ok if there was enough of it to taste...

There were a couple of tables...all men in suits..who probably were having a subsidized dinner. I think it is an insult to gouge and hope you will agree and go someplace where the food is good and the prices are fair.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I came here to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. We heard Alexander opened up a new restaurant called The Sea and wanted to try something new. The restaurant is nicely decorated and the service is above average. The problem I have with this restaurant is the food. We had 3 appetizers and 2 main course. Add 2 jack and coke and our bill came to $250 bucks with tips. (no wine)

Tuna Tartare was basically tasteless with a little plate design. Half a dozen oysters was serve with a vinaigrette which was nothing special. The waiter raved about the Sea Urchin so I decided to try it. Although it was good. It doesn't justify the price of 28 dollars for 1 sea urchin. As for the main course. My wife ordered the Salmon and I ordered the Opakapaka. Both tasted like it was cooked at Denny's. Aside from the plating design, food was bland and tasteless. I suggest you go somewhere else and not waste your money at this restaurant.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The decor is lovely, interesting food with striking presentation, but it is pricey, pretentious and is too precious. More serious problem was that the server or the chef did not heed the request that an ingredient one of our party could not eat be omitted. Despite this, the dish was served with that ingredient. They did bring a replacement without the offending additive. In a premier place. which this is trying to be, it should not have happened at all. This is not good service.