“Long my favorite downtown Palo Alto restaurant”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 361 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hamilton
Transit: Cal Train
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This Palo Alto staple is great for a business lunch, solo dinner, after-work drinks, and weekend brunch. When I'm flying solo, I often sit at the "line" where I can keep an eye on the chefs at work. The ingredients are as close to fresh as you can get, yes it really is a wood-fired pizza oven, the pasta dishes are all first rate, service varies but is usually pretty good, and the food is served piping hot. What more could you ask? They have a fairly extensive bar and wine list -- but their house Chianti is just fine.

While a few other new restaurants around that part of Palo Alto and Menlo Park have grabbed some of the Silicon Valley glitter, this is still a popular spot with venture capitalists, lawyers, and accountants meeting with their clients/companies.

They have valet parking. There is also a free 4 hour parking garage down the alley across the street. That garage is usually full during very busy times.

There are newer reviews for Il Fornaio

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We went to Il Fornaio yesterday for my daughter's birthday and as always the food and service were incredible. This restaurant has and always will be one of my favorite Italian restaurant. We always go for special occasions (or not so special!).

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I took all my guests there principally because the prices were so reasonable for the quality of food, and we found it very quiet so conversations weren't strained by outside noise. All my guests were satisfied. Breakfast and dinner menus offer great variety. Service was slightly off one night but I must say that the server's were animated and interesting individuals in their own right - and it was great being served by people with character.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Our first time and very enjoyable. Service was pleasant but not intrusive. Three lovely meals all served in reasonable time.
We'll be back

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I do like the food and the atmosphere. It would be nice if it were like it is in Italy, with everyone being knowledgable about what gluten free means. In Italy it is very easy to get a gluten free pizza or gluten free pasta. Not here.