“Substituted food without asking permission”
Review of Zibibbo - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Zibibbo
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between University and Lytton Ave.
Los Gatos
“Substituted food without asking permission”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We ate their with friends who recommended one of their "signature" dishes, succulent roast pork. Kitchen substituted pork chops when apparently they couldn't cook the pork fast enough. No one checked with table. This place is pricey enough it should not happen. Waiters stonewalled the complaint until hosts finally talked to manager who offered them (but Not us who were Splitting The bill) a discount the next time they come in.
Think twice about Zibbibo

• Visited August 2012

“Pleasant but not very special place in Palo Alto”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Since we very much enjoyed the flagship restaurant, Lulu in San Francisco, my wife and I were eager to try Zibibbo in Palo Alto. We went for dinner on a Thursday evening with another couple and had a good (at moments very good) experience, but all things considered (including the setting, the service, the food, and the price), we likely will not return.
The food, wine, and drinks were definitely above average, sometimes very good, but mostly just good. We started with cocktails, which were fine, a bit too strong (my Manhattan and my friend’s mojito), nothing special. We shared an antipasti plate, with beets, pate, and deep-fried arancini, and a charcuterie plate, again pleasant enough but not outstanding. My friends ordered additional hors d’ouvres of spicy shrimp and Israeli “cigars” (like a piroshky), which again were fine. We had wine with the main courses, and my wife’s glass of Merry Edwards Pinot Noir was excellent, everything else good, adequate accompaniment to the decent top sirloin I enjoyed (with a smear of gooey polenta awash in a very sweet tomato-based sauce), the very good roast chicken my wife ate, and the other dishes our friends had. We ate peasant-style bread, which we had to ask for. Dessert was pleasant, a warm chocolate cake and profiteroles, along with a very good cheese plate, accompanied by a glass of the port recommended in the menu.
The service was good but not special, the young lady serving us neither especially helpful, gracious, fun, nor engaging, just adequate. It seemed to me we waited a long time for the main course, with no explanation. Otherwise, service was fine, I suppose.
Zibibbo has tables outside on a pleasant patio and then inside in several different not very distinctive rooms, whereas Lulu is a surprisingly large, open room with various levels and the warm, hospitable rotisserie roaring visibly at one end, with a beautiful bar at another side of the room.
We paid about $160 per couple, which seems fairly reasonable, if everything had been special or otherwise memorable, as it has been at Lulu or Absinthe or Boulevard or Café Zuni, which are comparably priced but much better places we have loved in San Francisco. In future, we will likely drive the additional thirty minutes and head to the city where we know we will have a beautiful experience.

• Visited July 2012
Palo Alto, California
“Zibibbo, great outdoor fire pit and good food”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

My only complaint is that it is loud inside. Great food and service.

Chicago, Illinois
“Indoor heating lamps?”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I was here for a business trip in November, and didn't have any control over what we ate. The red wine was good and so was the salad they prepared for us, although the only non-vegetarian meal they served was a mushroom risotto, so a little unsatisfying. The thing that I didn't understand was why they needed overhead heating lamps - I was boiling!

Visited November 2011
San Francisco
“Overrated, with bad food”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Pork loin--dry and not interesting; paella--overcooked and greasy at the same time; sorbet for desert--three different flavors that were so undistinguished that blindfolded you couldn't tell them apart. The Israeli cigars appetizer is great, as is the short ribs which aren't on the summer menu. Their grilled items are mostly overcooked and underflavored. Has a good wine list and private rooms for business meetings. Cocktails are interesting and the restaurant itself is attractive. But the food is not particularly good.

• Visited August 2011