“horrible horrible horrible”

Cross street: Charleston
Los Angeles, CA
“horrible horrible horrible”
Reviewed July 3, 2008

We were visiting Palo Alto for my brother's stanford graudation. The Stanford graduation weekend is the busiest weekend of this town and it was difficult to get a table at a nice restaurant. We had dined at Fuki Sushi a few times when we had last visited Stanford and thought the food was okay so the seven of us got a table around 9:30pm. We ordered a lot of food, both cooked and raw. The chicken teriyaki that I ordered for my kids had a foul aftertaste, but we thought everything else was decent until the sushi came. About half of the sushi on the platter either smelled foul or had changed color (fishes that were supposed to be white were turning brownish). So I asked our server whether she could change anything for us. She returned after speaking to the owner and said that it wouldn't be possible. She asked whether we would like to speak directly to the owner. When the owner came, we told him nicely that some of the sushi doesn't seem fresh. We told him maybe it's because it's late at night after a busy day for them. Instead of acknowledging, he started getting very angry and hostile, and said, "We buy fresh fish everyday. Do you want to see the invoice? I will bring the chef and show you the invoice. " We told him that we didn't need to see the invoice and that we just wanted some of the fish changed. Then he started yelling at us saying, "More than 400 people ate here today and you are the only ones complaining! " We were getting upset at the horrible service and attitude but my mom told him that we will just eat the sushi. But he didn't leave us alone. He went inside the kitchen, brought his chef to us and literally ordered us to ask the chef about when the fish was bought. The chef went on and on about how they buy the fish every morning. Just then, our sashimi platter arrived. The salmon on the sashimi platter was much more fresh looking than the one on the sushi platter. I pointed out the difference in color, and his answer was "we use the best part for sashimi and use the not-so-good-part for sushi." At that point, I really didn't want to deal with these people anymore, so I said "Please leave us alone. We will just pay for the sushi but won't eat it because I don't want my kids to get sick while traveling. Ok?" Then the owner started screaming at us, "GET OUT OF MY RESTAURANT!! GET OUT OF MY RESTAURANT NOW!! I DON'T NEED YOUR MONEY! GET OUT NOW!!!!!" I couldn't take it any longer, so I threw the chopsticks that I was holding, picked up my kids, and all of us left shocked.

1 Thank hcr311

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Way overpriced and just...”
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Way overpriced and just OK.

“YUMMY ; )”
Reviewed June 26, 2008

YUMMY ; )

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good sushi..but can get...”
Reviewed June 19, 2008

good sushi..but can get pricey!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“One of my favorites, but...”
Reviewed June 13, 2008

One of my favorites, but pricey.