“Excellent”
Review of Rangoon Ruby

Rangoon Ruby
Reserve with OpenTable
Rangoon Ruby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 367 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Burmese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: University
Transit: 5 minutes walk from the CalTrain station in Palo Alto.
Description: Now open in downtown Palo Alto, Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine will have two Wins insuring authentic, Burmese cuisine. Chefs Win Aye and Win Tin formerly of Burma Superstars locations in Oakland and Alameda respectively, will jointly be heading up the kitchen at the new Rangoon Ruby venue. With proven chefs proficient in all of the specialties that make Burmese cuisine sought after by Asian food aficionados, plus a modern, upscale ambiance located in downtown Palo Alto, Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine expects to strike a chord with Silicon Valley diners looking for a fresh, clean approach to one of the worlds great cuisines. Influenced by Indian, Thai and Chinese cooking, the traditional Burmese menu will be complemented by a full bar with signature tropical cocktails including the eponymous Rangoon Ruby, a mid-century libation thought to be the forerunner of todays Cosmopolitan.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We enjoyed superior service and excellent food at Rangoon Ruby, I will definitely go back.

The palata appetizers with coconut chicken was fantastic, the palata was rich and delicate a perfect accompaniment to the chicken.

We also had the salmon lemongrass fusion and Burmese pad Thai noodles both were excellent, very fresh just really delightful.

The service was great, friendly and professional without being over bearing.

Be sure to make reservation I got the impression they get very busy especially on the weekend.

I will definitely go back.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Rangoon Ruby is delicious. The service has always been very good. While the prices are set that this isn't a frequent dining excursion, it is still worth every penny. Try the Tea Leaf Salad. It will surprise you!! Absolutely amazing. And the Sesame Beef is wonderful.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We reached at exactly the same time as our reservation and were seated immediately. The drinks were expensive at $12 for a cocktail which was average. The vegetarian version of the appetizer we ordered (flat bread) was more expensive compared to the non-veg version and didnt have the dipping curry that we were expecting but more like vegetable medley.
The main entrees were decent in size and quite good.
For a family of 4, with 1 cocktail each for adults and 1 soft drink for kids and 4 dishes including appetizer, expect to pay $100. And for that reason I would not go to this restaurant again. It was a good restaurant but not outstanding and I can get similar food else where also at better rates.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Great food, but the service was substandard. Slow and a bit conceited.
Loved the fish chowder soup! Would return again but not at peak dinner service.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I love this new restaurant! Apparently the chef is from Burma Superstar (SF). I have been to both Burma Superstar (SF & Oakland). I must say I like Rangoon Ruby best. Saturday night 8pm and this place is packed and I hope it stays packed cause its my favorite restaurant. We started with the samosas, 4 to an order... Perfectly deep fried, not greasy which is a BIG plus. Northern tofu was light and with a splash of chili sauce... yum...Next came the Monk Hingar (Pureed Catfish Chowder). We weren't sure if we would like it, but it was delicious. It is a hot soup, chowder like, with thin rice noodles. I like the ginger, lemon grass, onion, garlic taste in the soup. The Pumpkin Tofu Stew cooked with onions, garlic, ginger and Burmese spices goes well with the Burmese Indian Rice. Love, love the Burmese Indian Rice. I think it was cooked in a light curry sauce. The garlic noodle with Duck is WOW. And to go along with all the dishes, we of course had to have a veggie dish. Rangoon Ruby really does this well... the pea leaf stir fried in white wine and garlic. I love pea leaf/pea spouts but not everyone knows how to do this one well. These guys have it down. We loved each and every dish. We ordered everything medium spicy and we loved how it is spicy enough to linger a bit not not so spicy that you can't taste the food or kill your taste bud. We weren't going to have any dessert especially after such a full delicious meal, but John, the our server and bartender, presented us with the Dessert Plata. That put us over.... you must try.... the Plata is similar taste to Roti, but you must eat it altogether in one bite to get the full effect! A bite of the plata+banana+­strawberry+ice cream = YUM!