“Ants...away from this motel”

Americas Best Value Inn - Palo Alto
Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Don't stay at this motel if you have other choice... I traveled with my family and stayed in this motel for one night. The bed is not comfortable and the furniture is out-dated. You can easily hear the noise upstairs. The worst thing happened in the morning... hundreds of ants were found in the bathroom and they covered all my staff on the table..really terrifying. This was my worst experience staying in a motel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Travelplanner2010
abvipaloalto, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn - Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate your doing so. We use your comments to further train our staff and to evaluate our Inn and make necessary changes. We apologize for the condition that you experienced while staying at our Inn. Due to the unusally harsh winter weather this has caused a problem with ants this year. Please know that we have taken steps with our pest control company to eliminate this problem and the condition is now under control.

Reviewed October 27, 2010

I have stayed at this motel several times recently and it has an excellent location, nice rooms and very friendly front desk staff. The last time I stayed there there was some confusion about the room rate - I thought that you got a free room upgrade when you booked after joining their "value club" but was charged extra for requesting first floor room because a king was the only thing available. Unfortunately I got 2 bed bug bites and found a bed bug in the bed when I woke up in the morning. I check the bed/room before I bring my luggage in with a very bright flashlight and didn't see anything but they were still there. I addressed this with ABV customer service and while they did respond promptly with an explanation about the rate change they failed to address my concern over the bedbugs.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Blyst

Thank you giving your comments we appreciate your doing so. We take your comments seriously and use them to help provide you with a better product. Please be assured that we have investigated your experience here and assure you that the condition you described doesn't exist.

Reviewed September 7, 2010

One of the main reasons I booked this place was because of the non-smoking designation and the good reviews for the price. It is what it is--a cheap motel. It is clean enough, and the rooms are non-smoking. However, there is an outside table right next door with an ashtray! The neighbors parked themselves there and chain-smoked and were very loud. It was right next to my car so I couldn't go back and forth without walking through a huge cloud of smoke. That and the fact that they were so loud right outside my door really upset me. I also knew there was only packaged sweet rolls. But if I have to take my husband to the V.A. hospital again and spend the night, I would rather spend the extra $20 for a newer place with a better breakfast, and just ask for a non-smoking room.
I don't understand how it got such good reviews.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your taking the time to do so. Our rooms are all non-smoking. However we do have a table and chairs outside where people who would like to go can smoke. We are sorry if other people smoking offended you and apologize for your experience.

Reviewed September 7, 2010

Good Central location off of the El Camino Real. The off season rate was great, under $60. The rooms are pretty basic but clean, and the owners are very helpful and friendly. They are located near a Hobees restaurant which is a great breakfast place- the coffee cake is out of this world.

When in Palo Alto this should always be one to check on. Will consider using them again when in the area.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank R.ching

Thank your taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your business. We work hard to provide our guests with the best possible accomodations at the most reasonable rates. Our staff is pleased to be of service to you and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 23, 2010

There's nothing fancy about this hotel, but if you're looking for a clean, comfortable, inexpensive place to sleep, then there's absolutely nothing disappointing, either.

My room had two beds--not two double beds, two queens. The mattresses and pillows were fairly new comfortable. The room wasn't lavish, but it looked recently updated. It had a TV with satellite and built-in VCR/DVD, a fridge, a microwave, a 4-cup coffee maker and a hair dryer. The hotel puts prepackaged danish and OJ in the room every day. (Look in the fridge for the juice.)

And the place is absolutely immaculate!

And way, way less expensive than most places to stay in Palo Alto.

There are trade-offs, but I found them minor: El Camino Real is a main drag, and I imagine the rooms close to the street could be a bit noisy until traffic calms down at night; while the hotel is indeed technically in Palo Alto, if it were any farther along El Camino Real, it would be in Mountain View.

Nevertheless, if you're looking for a clean, comfortable, safe, inexpensive place to sleep in or near Palo Alto, it would be amazing to find a better value than the Americas Best Value Inn.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank AccidentProneTourist
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Friendly manager, easy check-in. The room was a good size for 2, adequate for 4 people. Beds were very comfortable and mattress support was good. Motel is on a major road very close to highway and 10 min to downtown Palo Alto. Breakfast place available 1/2 block away. (Continental breakfast in room is 2 packaged pasties, 2 bottle of oj, and coffeemaker in room.) Our room had a fridge and microwave, very handy. Toiletry items were fine. Liked best: excellent value for what we paid. Liked least: breakfast pastries limited to 2 pre-packaged danish in room.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2010

My wife and I stayed here while visiting a friend who goes to Stanford. This place is very unsuspecting from the outside, quite easily missable. However, once inside the quaint rooms, you get exactly what you pay for. The bed was comfortable, and the room and bathroom were very, very clean. The rate was very good and I had no complaints. There is nothing extra although there were a few pastries and a mini-fridge in the room. All in all, a really good option for a really good price.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple