“Good bang for your buck”
Review of The Zen Hotel

The Zen Hotel
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This hotel is a solid, affordable choice for Palo Alto. While it does seem expensive compared to other cities, I think it is a steal for the area, where even brands like Sheraton and Hilton are astronomically priced. The exterior is motel-like but the rooms have been totally redone. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There is DirecTV in the rooms and other amenities you would expect at 3+ star hotels (e.g., robes, nice coffee in rooms, etc). The walls do seem sort of thin - you could hear a lot and I wasn't even on the street - but that didn't bother me a ton. You also should definitely plan to have a car if you stay here, as it isn't within walking distance of all that much and is a few miles from Stanford/downtown Palo Alto. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed here for two nights recently and found it completely satisfying. I stopped by on a previous visit to check out the hotel. The man in the office was very gracious and showed me a room that met my needs. (I wanted to be in a quiet area on the ground floor with easy parking.)

I made a reservation for room 110 and enjoyed my stay. The decor in my room was very 'Zen' - I especially appreciated the toiletries and the lamp at the desk that had a base with plugs for phones, camera battery chargers and the iPad charger. The room wasn't huge but certainly large enough for two people. The chair and ottoman in the corner was an added bonus.

Breakfast was extensive - they had bagels, muffins, cold cereal in one room and another room had eggs and hot food. I grabbed muffins and coffee (coffee is available all day) as I had places to go. In the afternoon they had fresh-baked cookies in the office!

I would say that the price for this motel was very competitive. I searched TripAdvisor for hotels in this area and found the Zen to be VERY reasonable. After driving by some of the other hotels, I was very glad that I chose the Zen Hotel - it was a very nice stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
ricberr, General Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting these wonderful comments about your stay. We appreciate the time and detail that was put in your review about our hotel. As a “Top Contributor” on Tripadvisor, your perspective is unique and we are very glad to have made a good impression among the many other hotels you have experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you again to The Zen Hotel!

(650) 493-4492 X 311

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We have never been to Palo Alto before and maybe things are just more expensive here. The hotel rate I got was the same as the Grant Hyatt in San Francisco, and higher than Marriott at the Union Square. I had expected something comparable to those two hotels I mentioned.

I was shocked when I saw the motel like exterior. The check-in desk and the breakfast area also looked kind of shabby at night when we arrived. We got room 302 and it was away from the street noise and pretty quiet at night. The room was clean and Asian/Zen inspired decoration. But the room still looked dated with the cream color wall paper and giant A/C unit. The A/C unit was very loud when it was on. The room was either cold (when the A/C was on) or stuffy (when the A/C was off).

Breakfast was pleasant. They had a good selection of good tea, which was very nice.

I don't know what to expect for this area. Maybe this is a nice enough hotel based on what I paid. But I would choose a different hotel the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ReviewDC
ricberr, General Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. Although we work hard to offer great value among the available lodging options in Palo Alto, we understand we did not meet your price-product expectations and we are very sorry to learn that. Among the value-added amenities we offer, we believe that our complimentary hot breakfast, Internet, parking and upgraded room amenities such as bathrobes, free bottled water, lip balm, etc. can be differentials that result in great value as compared to nearby hotels. However, your feedback is important for us to continue evaluating our operations and fine tune areas that present an opportunity for improvement.

Thank you for your comments about our breakfast. I am glad you were able to enjoy our selection of Mighty Leaf organic teas.

Your comments are much appreciated. We hope you consider our hotel as an option again when your travels bring you back to Palo Alto.

Best regards,

650-493-4492 X 311

Reviewed April 17, 2014

the bath pipes and showers are behind paper thin walls and my bed was next to the bathroom wall, so every night around 1 am and then around 5 am the neighboring rooms started running loud, clattering, long showers, about an hour each... so much for the bad water pressure, that is supposed to help with the drought, people just don't care and want the shampoo out of their hair, also the wifi in my room, which was supposed to be free and strong, was totally unusable,the front desk people couldn't answer any questions about the area,and did not try either

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank cherryseeds

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at The Zen Hotel. I am very sorry to learn that we failed in providing you with a comfortable and restful stay. Please rest assured that the issue you experienced with poor water pressure is an anomaly that will be investigated and corrected by our maintenance department. I am sorry it happened in the room you occupied. I was disappointed as well to see that our Wi-Fi did not work as it is supposed to, especially since we have recently doubled our bandwidth and we have received great comments about our speeds. We understand that fast and reliable Internet connectivity is essential to all our guests. This issue will be followed up and corrected as well.
I would be grateful if you could share the specifics of the information you requested from our Front Desk staff. I did not recognize our commitment to use a YES attitude when approaching all our guests’ questions, and I am very interested in learning first-hand the particulars of your interaction with our staff. If you have time, I can be reached via phone at 650-493-4492 ext 311, or via email to ricardo@thezenhotel.com Thank you again for your candid feedback.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel is filled with restful, Zen-like simplicity and follows "green" practices. Comfortable, clean, attractive rooms. Cookies in the afternoon, green tea in your room (& coffee if you must), and a nice variety of food for a buffet breakfast, including fresh fruit and yogurt, as well as the usual eggs and pork. We stay here several times a year and it is always a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
ricberr, Front Office Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for all of your positive feedback on your experiences at The Zen Hotel. Thank you for noticing our green practices and small touches that we think set us apart from many of the larger hotels in the area. I am very pleased to see that you always enjoy your stay with us, and I hope that all of your future visits continue to meet or exceed expectations.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts about our hotel.

Best Regards,

Ryan Aldridge
Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 21, 2014

The Zen Hotel in Palo Alto is great for a short stay if you are on business trip. It is conveniently located, has ample parking and the service is friendly. The rooms are small, but clean, comfortable and recently renovated. Everything seems to be new and more-or-less good quality. They also claim that they are green. That is, they don't seem to abuse the nature in any way. It really deserves at least 3 1/2 - 4 star rating, but it is a fancy road-side motel (former) and the cost is too high for what you get. That said, definitely go stay there if you can expense it.

Room Tip: The rooms probably are all the same.