“Fun French bistro”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
california
“Fun French bistro”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is nice place for lunch - we celebrated there a birthday of a friend, the atmosphere is casual, a bit like in France. I had the quiche - it was good but not as good as I had in Paris: the crust was not as flaky and the salad that came with it could have been fresher. The sandwiches are rather large, without being enormous - two people could easily split a sandwich if they are not big eaters.
Our server had a strong French accent and was very polite ( unlike many waiters in Paris); he recommended a bottle of French rose which was excellent - dry , like they serve in France in the summer. We also took the waiter's recommendation on the desserts - tart tatin and fondant au chocolat. Again, the crust of the tart was not flaky enough and the fondant was way too sweet, unlike the desserts I had in France. Everything considered, Pastis is a nice place for a casual meal.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank europeanbabeM

CA
“Great Neighborhood French Bistro”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Pastis is a wonderful find on California Avenue in Palo Alto. The food is delicious and the service is wonderful too. The owner was on hand to take our order and made menu suggestions. I had swordfish and my husband had filet tournados - both which we would order again. For dessert he had tarte tatin (apple tart) and I had a wonderful strawberry panne cotta. We brought our own wine and there was no corkage charge - a real plus! There is sidewalk seating or you can sit inside in the "bistro atmosphere" - either one is perfect. We went for dinner with a gift certificate but would definitely go back. I would also recommend it for families with older children.

• Visited May 2013
San Francisco
“French Bistrot style”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The staff are actually French and speak French and the food has an authenticity all French.
They do typical French dishes well, I made the mistake of ordering the Sole without checking whether it was fried in bread crumbs, which I don't like, but the vegetables were delicious and they were very friendly.I'll be going back.

San Jose, California
“Warm, cozy, French and delicious.”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

That about says it all. Romantic in a casual way with friendly waitstaff with French accents. Good simple reasonably priced food in a cozy atmosphere for dinner. Great weekend brunch. As close to France as I've been in a long time.

Palo Alto, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BEST in Palo Alto”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just spent a wonderful evening at Pastis last night. There are no words to describe how amazing this restaurant is! It is the kind of restaurant you come to and just want to keep sitting because it is small and cozy. I spent time living in Paris and this is the first time a French restaurant here FEELS French. I highly recommend the salmon with lentils, filet mignon, and mousse au chocolat. The bistrot is classy and romantic. You get the best food, the most attentive service, and the prices are absolutely reasonable. Merci, Maxime.

1 Thank ElizabethP514