“Great tasty place”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Great tasty place”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Authentic French bistro. Great atmosphere. Excellent food. The zucchini soup was sooooo good!! The owner is French. Very nice and friendly person.
Everything we ate was great!
We'll definitely go back to try more of this amazing place.

• Visited August 2012

“Like a Trip to France”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Pastis opened in the old Joanie's Cafe location about a year ago and is run by Max, who used to run Joanie's. Pastis seems like the logical extension of what Max was doing with Joanie's dinner service. Authentic French comfort food. I happened to go there twice yesterday. Once with a friend for lunch, and then again for dinner when my son found out I had gone without him! For lunch I had salmon that came with pommes frites and a salad. The salmon was perfectly cooked. My friend had chicken livers on a bed of spinach. She was in heaven. There aren't a lot of places where you could even find this dish, and the livers were cooked properly. It was a huge portion, so she had plenty to take home for later. We both splurged and had dessert - she had a peach French Toast and I had chocolate mousse. Both were fabulous. WHen my son and I returned for dinner, we realized it was Bastille Day. The staff were all wearing striped fisherman's shirts. There was a special menu available for $45 a person, including a glass of wine. It looked delicious, but we decided to order off the regular menu. My son had the goat cheese salad and filet mignon and I had a butter lettuce with hazelnuts, flank steak and a side of sauteed spinach. Our meal started with a complimentary bowl of crab bisque. Everything was absolutely delicious and served piping hot. The service was a tiny bit slow ( compared to lunch, when everything came quite quickly),but the restaurant was completely full for the Bastille Day and we were in no hurry - we were sitting outside and enjoying the parade of people up and down California Avenue. I've known Max for years through Joanie's and I love the ambience that he has created at Pastis. There are lots of people speaking French which tells me that this restaurant resonates with French ex-pats as well as us lucky locals. The restaurant is very welcoming to children as well, which is not always the case with Palo Alto places. I have always found the staff to be attentive and friendly. But not intrusive. The restaurant is small, so for dinner be sure to make a reservation. Lunch seems a bit easier to just walk in - especially if you are a small party.

• Visited July 2012
Saratoga, CA
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were a foursome with reservations at 7:00, we waited 25 minutes to be seated and another 15 minutes before a waited arrived to start the order process. Service was slow. The entrees were served a little after 8:00 with no starters.

The food was OK, not special and the portions were small for the price.

There are better choices in Palo Alto.

• Visited July 2012
Seattle
“Great for Brunch”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I came into to Pastis since it was one of only a handful of places open on Saturday. I ordered the French Toast and it was excellent. Food service was fast although it took them quite a while to bring the check. I would definitely recommend coming here for a nice brunch.

• Visited June 2012
Palo Alto, California
“A lovely new French Bistro”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Four of us had a 7:30 reservation for dinner on a Tuesday night. We arrived on time and our reservation was acknowledged. Unfortunately we had to wait 25 minutes before a table was available and another 15 minutes before our order was taken. They did serve a small cup of delicious vegetable soup as a starter, which we had not ordered. Whether this was standard practice or whether it was to offset our wait, I do not know. We thought it would have been a good idea to serve us a complimentary glass of wine while we were waiting. On the bright side, the food was delicious. The menu was not large, but the offerings were interesting and reasonably priced. The salad nicoise was a lovely and generous dish, enough for dinner. Same for the for the Coquille St. Jacques. The sole with a side order of spinach was well received. The wine list, appropriately, was mostly French, but fairly pricey - $26.00 and up. The tables in this relatively small restaurant were mostly set around the wall with the serving bar and a few seats in the middle. In order to have a table for four, either such a table had to open up or two adjacent tables for two had to become available, so it was a bit of crap-shoot for a suitable table. On balance, we liked the restaurant very much and would go there again without hesitation, hoping that the wait would be shorter.

• Visited April 2012