“Slow service - decent food”
Review of Da Sichuan Bistro

Da Sichuan Bistro
Ranked #195 of 361 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I really wanted an authentic Sichuan hot pot, seething with Sichuan peppercorns, and the reviews I read all pointed me to Da Sichuan. A good sign when I walked in - all the customers were Chinese (or at least Asian). I was quickly seated, but it took forever to get someone to take my order, and then I waited over 40 minutes for my food. So out comes the hotpot, which was generously prtioned. But to my dismay, there were only a handful of Sichuan peppercorns, but it was covered with red and green jalapenos. Folks, jalapenos are not the same as Sichuan peppercorns, and they impart a definite flavor to the dish that is not authentic. Overall, the food was good tasting, except for the jalapeno issue, but given the slow service, I won;t be back.

There are newer reviews for Da Sichuan Bistro

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is a decent Chinese Sichuan food restaurant, with a lot of spicy food to order. You could find basically any spicy food you can imagine here in a pretty American style. The service is fast and ok. It would be nice for a regular outside eating, but if you are expecting something special, probably you consider some other places.

1  Thank Shuang Y
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Our waitress encouraged us to change what we originally had chosen, 2 of the restaurant specials, in favor of two other dishes she said were popular. The beef dish was spicy but rather boring in its other flavors, and the chicken dish of finely diced meat and vegetables had somewhat better flavors, but nothing remarkable at all.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Shredded pork in garlic sauce - one pepper spiciness rating. The lady made a point of showing me the dish before she packaged it to go. And it was beautiful. They used orange as well as green peppers and the dish was plated, not just dumped in a box. The flavors in it were complex and could all be tasted before the spiciness was felt on the tongue and back of the mouth afterwards. One pepper was a nice level of spiciness - enough to feel without overwhelming taste buds. Every trip to Palo Alto, I will go back here for this. It is so much better than so many other dishes in so many other asian restaurants I have visited in the area.
There is no atmosphere, no decoration, but a very polite and friendly staff. Customers are there to eat, not for an evening out. Also contrary to many places in the area, the staff is appreciative that you came in.
There are a lot of fish and intestine-oriented dishes which a lot of the diners seemed to be enjoying. And you can certainly get much spicier offerings if you prefer. Take a look at the menu on-line. The quantity of food was excellent for the price.
If you like Sichuan cuisine, you need to try it.

1  Thank Nancy7227
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have eaten many times at this restaurant and I think they have the best spicy fish I have ever eaten. I have eaten spicy fish dishes in many countries in the world, including Singapore and this one just makes my mouth water every time I think of it. Their braised eggplant dish is also delicious, but cannot compare with their spicy Manchurian fish. I always asked for the chili peppers to be reduced and it is still has so much zing. Service is so-so, ambience: none, so you have to focus on just being there to eat great food, especially this fish dish.