“Overpriced, inneficient, careless staff.”

Stanford Terrace Inn
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This is one of the most overpriced places I've stayed at. At $308 a night, the quality of service was ridiculous. The breakfast spread is not very good. Admittedly, most places in PA are pretty expensive. But my experience with this place makes me feel like I would have been better off paying an additional $50-$100 and staying at a good business class hotel. The staff are so careless, the day that I was checking out, they charged me $2900 instead of $970! After pleading with them to show me their records, and making two trips back to the place after I had checked-out, I found that they had charged everything twice! And to top things off, I had used a prepaid forex card! I wouldn't have worried as much if I had used a credit card, as it's farely easy to cancel a transaction. But with a debit card, it's a whole different ball game. I was told by my bank that it would take 21 days (after calling them 5 times and placing a hold request) for the money to credit back, provided that the hotel doesn't claim the transactions. I immediately contacted the hotel again and the lady at the front desk said she would send me proof that the transactions had been cancelled from the hotel's end via email, but she never did. So I had to make yet another trip to the hotel to coerce them into showing me their record again, and found to my dismay that they hadn't cancelled the transactions yet! After numerous phone calls, and visits to the place, I finally got my money back after a month! On the whole, it was a very bad experience for me. Even though this place is in walking distance to many shops and restaurants (the only pro), I would suggest paying a little extra and staying someplace else.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TheVid

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I remember when this property had different owners and didn't look like a tropical rain forest Every inch of this inn is covered with plants and I am not exaggerating.

Pros: VERY close to Stanford's campus, next door to Starbucks, right off EL Camino Real (you can find anything you need in close proximity to the inn: Stanford Mall, downtown Palo Alto, etc.), underground parking garage (very safe), made to order waffles in the lobby every morning, spacious rooms, hardwood floors and attentive staff.

Cons: plants, shrubs, flowers are everywhere!

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the pool. My first stay was by the pool and the noise level was too much. D...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank afronoletravel
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Sure it is close to Stanford and that is why rates are rather expensive for this motel that has not much more on offer than a regular Best Western. I have to say staff is very kind and they have a convenient shuttle service to campus. However, rooms and hotel are far from clean and in bad need for renovation. In our room the floor was completely ruined due to humidity and some filthy plastic material was put underneath the carpets to try make the surface even. Carpets, lamps, bed, decoration are all in need of refreshing and serious cleaning. Get back in shape and we may be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank beatrishelder
Reviewed November 6, 2013

There is a 50s vibe and a lot of vegetation! The rooms and facilities are dated and it is a bit of a step back in time. I booked a suite which was very big (bathroom, bedroom, kitchenette, lounge area) and comfortable but dark as it received no natural sunlight. The rooms not facing in to the pool may differ or those with asouthern aspect may be better. Breakfast, like the facilities, was basic but good.

The location is great; a short jog from the university and across the street from a good bar and restaurant which is important as there is no bar or restaurant in the hotel. The staff were very friendly and free parking is available in the basement. There is free wifi throughout.

Overall it was quiet , friendly and comfortable but I won't be rushing back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Agree with recent reviews describing as quirky with funky purple lights in garage and overall 50's vibe. The decor and buildings are dated and dark. I love plants but there are too many just packed together to be very pleasing or aesthetic. The room was large and reasonably comfortable. Its a superb location for access to Stanford and the restaurants/Farmer's Market on California Avenue. The breakfast was average food. Rather small and crowded. I might stay again because of location but not with any enthusiasm.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

so other reviews called this quirky and I agree but find it pleasant in a world of prepackaged sameness. The building is a bit aged and the rooms which face into the courtyard get light in the window all night but: the vast overflow of plants everywhere including the underground garage and around the pool in the patio is relaxing. The location is perfect and the breakfasts are very nice. The rooms vary a lot from one to another and can be quite large and offer kitchenettes. Free parking and wireless. It is overall very comfortable and quiet. I found the staff very helpful and friendly. I stay here when I have the chance and have been coming since 1982.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lasrman
Reviewed October 22, 2013

...proximity to Stanford. We were there for a 25 year reunion, and were able to stroll straight on to the campus. We last visited 25 years ago, and suspect nothing has spent on the property during that time. Breakfast was OK, and the room spacious. Don't attempt to negotiate the car park after a beer or two!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple