“Would not stay here”

Stanford Terrace Inn
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The reviews for the Stanford Inn were good and the location seemed close to Stanford, so my son and I booked it for a recent visit to the area. Our ground floor room had a terrible moldy smell and was worn beyond what is acceptable. I didn't want to take off my shoes and knew I would not be staying the night when I was told no other rooms were available.
While the Inn is near the back area of Stanford, the back end of Stanford is far away from the visitors center. Don't be fooled as I was. It is definitely not walking distance to the downtown area with all of the shops and stores.
Visiting Palo Alto is tough because there are expensive hotels or slightly (very) run down inns and motels which still charge over $200 a night....in my opinion the extra money for the clean and modern hotel is worth it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank frequenttraveler9724

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Stanford Terrace Inn when visiting our son and daughter-in-law in Palo Alto. The top floor rooms are very pleasant, light and airy. The presence of two skylights in the bathroom are a real plus. The room was large and the beds very comfortable. The hotel was quiet. The front desk and the housekeeping staff were first-rate. There was ample, well-lit underground parking. They served a continental breakfast which looked very good. However, due to other committments, we did not have the opportunity to try it.

The rooms on the first and second stories are dark. However, given the other positive aspects of this hotel, I would not make obtaining a top-floor room the deciding factor in choosing this hotel. The interior courtyard and pool are quite pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a third-floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We've stayed at the Stanford Terrace Inn 6 times since August 2009. We were very pleased the first several times. We especially liked the location, the very pleasant amenities, beautiful vegetation, "green" consciousness, bright paint colors that seemed to declare "California," and attention to small details for the comfort and enjoyment of guests. So we decided to stay there again even after there was a change in ownership/management. We found that the service and maintenance had suffered quite noticeably, but since our stay was shortly after the change in ownership, we decided to give it another try when we were back in Palo Alto in February, 2012. Our decision was also influenced by the apologies we received the first time we stayed with the new management, and the assurances that the new management was aware of the transitional problems and would be working hard to resolve them. To our great disappointment, conditions seemed to deteriorate even further when we stayed a second time under the current management. Most of what still seems very nice at the Stanford Terrace Inn derives from the previous owners. Most of the rooms are quite large and nicely laid out with good plumbing, a vanity in the dressing area and a second sink in the bathroom, great closet space, comfortable robes.,etc. Recent reviewers have complimented the continental breakfast, but it was even nicer with additional offerings under the former management! The former management set out cookies along with containers of ice water and lemonade in the late afternoon for newly arriving and continuing guests, but this welcoming touch is now gone. We generally request rooms on the top floor (3rd floor around the front courtyard and 2nd floor elsewhere), which have nice skylights in the dressing area and bathrooms. On our recent stay, these skylights were full of cobwebs! I also noticed that some of the furniture in our room had what at first appeared to be white paint smudges. When I looked more closely, it turned out that these white spots were partially removed stick-on price tags! There's nothing wrong with the management purchasing second-hand furniture -- as long as this furniture doesn't include any pests and management is careful enough to remove the tacky stick-on price tags! After noticing the price tags, I looked under the bed and found a wrapper - I won't be more specific - from a former occupant. This was so disgusting that I didn't even tell my husband about it! Although the underground parking garage is great, under the new management 1 of the 2 garage entrances was constantly blocked with large SUVs or pick-up trucks, reducing the convenience of the garage. The free shuttle service has also been drastically reduced. Although the vegetation in the courtyards is still quite nice, the back courtyard cried out for more care as many plants were very overgrown and needed trimming. Guests who have only stayed at this hotel since management changed may be quite pleased with this hotel, but those who stayed under the previous management will miss the previous amenities, cleanliness and service. The old management also featured had a Heron Club; members would receive info about specials and other news. Although new management told me on my first visit after the ownership change that they would be re-instituting the Heron Club, we haven't received any Heron Club communications from the current management! Unless other options aren't available in or near Palo Alto, we don't plan to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Reserve a room on the top floor since noise travels through the ceilings in rooms on lower floors...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Metermaid608
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I visited with my son recently. Most of the more familiar hotels in the area were already fully booked, so we settled for this establishment with a last-minute reservation (we needed to be close to Stanford University).

Despite the many quirky nuisances at this Inn, I am not ready to write it off too early. Basically it has a great lay-out, great location and great spaces in the rooms, and I believe these should be capitalized on by spending money to bring the general feel of the place into the current century.

The owners simply need to attend to a few cosmetics, such as more light/windows in the rooms, tiling in the passageways, general electrics and layouts in the rooms and breakfast area, etc. and they could easily charge 50% more than they are charging right now.

Other pluses include complimentary wi-fi and safe off-street parking. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Find a room that has enough natural light.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2012

First the good...Large rooms...refrigerator and microwave...great soap and shower supplies...
Nice location within walking distance of Stanford Campus...great heated pool-3' to 6'-chair for those with disabilities to enter pool-floating noodles for disabled...very nice breakfast-waffles-hard boiled eggs-fresh fruit-hot coffee-numerous tea selections-filtered water-juice-to name a few...a great sitting area surrounded by plants so different groups can converse and not interfere with each other...air purifiers in each room...a/c...safe in room...free papers around the corner...friendly staff...nice robes...wash cloths, medium towels, and GIANT almost 6' towels...in room coffee/tea maker...great shower/bath controls with plenty of pressure...two sink areas on in bathroom and one just outside so two can get ready without stepping on each other...Full length mirror on the closet...gated free off-street parking.

The so-so...some rooms had small windows...not much literature to tell you local eating places or places of interest...If you want a hot cup of coffee after breakfast you have 2 choices-make a pot in your room or go next door to Starbucks...Too many lights and alarm clock hooked to main switch-if the lights were turned off so did the alarm clock-you had to manually turn each light off to keep clock on...I left a note they did not have to make up the bed and I was o.k. on towels {my room had at least 6 for just me}-but I did needed extra shampoo- the result no shampoo but more towels and yes they made the bed.

The bad...We picked it for the free shuttle to campus, but found it really had a limited schedule and twice had to call a cab for our group {they said someone had already reserved it} also if you need the shuttle for a return trip there was a fee. Upon arrival the refrigerator was off and it took several hours to get cold...they turned the a/c off when they made up the rooms even though I had turned it up to 80 and it was HOT when I returned from class-it took almost an hour to make it comfortable again...They have some personal products {sanitary napkins, shaving creme & razor, toothbrush & toothpaste} in a try but read the flyer-$3-$5 each {you can get them at Wallmart for about a buck}- the refrigerator has a supply of beverages and I'm afraid to know the price {somebody said $5}...a very tight elevator that might not hold an entire family and luggage in 1 trip..I did have an issue with the safe not working and was told that I had to wait until tomorrow to have it fixed as only the manager had the master key {this could be good or bad depending how you look at it}...they had no sugar free syrup for waffles.

I don't advice the speedy check-out as I found a $3 charge for toothpaste and I know I didn't use theirs.{I'm awaiting a reply requesting a credit on principal} and it I assume it was a simple billing error.

If you have a car or even choose to rent a bicycle {available across the street} and they have inside bicycle racks it's a nice place. It's quiet in the evening so you can enjoy the sitting area or pool. If I need to depend on a shuttle I'd look elsewhere but if I had my own transportation I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Cabs are usually cheaper if you need a return trip to hotel Stay away from the ice machine on 1st f...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I just returned from a week's stay at the Stanford Terrace. Because on another review about problems with reserving a room on Hotels.com, I decided to call the hotel directly for a reservation. I was treated politely and had no trouble with the reservation process at all. Check-in also went very smoothly. The grounds are lovely. There is a courtyard with lots of shaded seating as well as a separate pool area. I didn't have time in my schedule to use the pool, but it looked very clean and the surrounding tables and landscaping were well cared for. My room was third-floor poolside, but I never heard any noise. My room was spacious and spotlessly clean. The carpet looked like it had been there for awhile, but it was also clean. The bathroom was modern and exceptionally clean. Bedding was fresh and clean as well. There was a coffee maker, fridge, and microwave in the room. I especially liked the fact that there was an additional sink/dressing area outside of the bathroom that was separate from the main room. My only complaints about the room were insufficient reading light and the fact that there was only one bedside table beside a queen bed. There definitely should be a table on both sides.. The daily complementary breakfast was EXCELLENT and included lots of fresh fruit, bagels, English muffins, pastries, hard-boiled eggs, and make-your-own Belgian waffles. The hotel itself is next-door to a Starbucks and is within walking distance (if you like to walk!) of California Avenue, which has shops and cafes. Trader Joe's is a short car ride away. Overall, the staff is professional and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Overall this is a pretty decent hotel. The proximity to the Stanford campus cannot be beat by anything but the on-campus dormitories. The layout is pretty charming and intimate. It's a smaller property so there isn't much of a crowd or that much noise. There were a few quirks that may be the result of how much the hotels strives to be green. The service was excellent. The rooms were good-sized but could use a refresh. It wasn't dirty but it was worn. I would stay here again but would check other options before doing so.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business